ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Strong smell inside 1999 Lexus ES

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-16, 02:33 PM
jeffreysw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strong smell inside 1999 Lexus ES

Recently my 1999 Lexus ES has developed a very strong interior odor. I am not aware of any water damage to the interior of the car. The carpets are all very dry. I even checked the spare tire area and it was dry also.

I cannot figure out where the smell is originating from, and I can't seem to get it to go away. It smells up my entire garage. The smell is not like the usual smell that just comes out when you initially turn on the air conditioner.

I took the vehicle to a local garage and they said it was mildew. The garage service said they checked the carpets but could not find any moisture. This issue is really puzzling me and I am not sure what to do to remove the smell.

Please let me know if anyone has had the same problem before, or if anybody has any ideas what may be creating the problem.

Thank you.

Last edited by jeffreysw; 09-30-16 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-30-16, 03:51 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Try possibly changing the cabin filter? Also use the ozone spray and spray it into the exterior vents by the windshield cowl and then turn the vents on. Itll act as a deodorizer. Its what I did and it made a big difference.
Old 09-30-16, 04:30 PM
80es300
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Yeah, check your cabin air filter. When did u last change it? These model year ES may or may not have the filter. (I believe there was some issue at that time are something like that... so some cars don't have them). So check to see if your car has one. It is by the accelerator pedal. There are threads that show how to change it.
Keep us posted if you find anything else.
Old 09-30-16, 07:55 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Definitely check the cabin filter compartment. You may have accumulated a lot of wet leaves in there over time. Toyota sells an excellent A/C Refresher kit that I used to clean out my system.

Strong smell inside 1999 Lexus ES-photo904.jpg

I had an issue with mildew and/or mold within the first year of owning the car. Discovered no filter inside the compartment. Cleaned out all the crap that was in it, used the refresher kit and installed a new cabin filter. This has solved my issue.

Check out my video on how to get to the filter.
Old 10-01-16, 08:35 AM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

Most likely it is your filter, but if not, then check your rear tire-well area and especially the side cavities if they are separate on your car. See if the smell is stronger in the trunk and originating there.

I had an issue with water collecting and staying in the driver's side hollow below the storage tray on that side - like 2.5 gallons of it! No idea how it got in (sunroof drains were a-ok and not leaking, nor was trunk seal). Ours is a 4ES but yours is likely the same basic design.

Another thought - is your condenser drain clogged? Your car should leave a good puddle of water when parked after running the cc in "Auto" mode. If it is not, check that out. There is a lot of sound-insulating material beneath the carpets, in the doors, etc. and it can soak up a lot of water before the carpet above would ever show anything. So I in no way think that dry carpets precludes an A/C issue as the cause.

Last edited by Oro; 10-01-16 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-01-16, 09:01 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

If you can smell it inside your garage as well, than I doubt that its originatging from INSIDE your car. It may be something underneath, or under the hood. A dead animal perhaps?
Old 10-02-16, 08:25 AM
Solidhit
Driver School Candidate

I agree with PFB. My first thoughts when I started reading this thread was something dead under the car. I've had a dead snake under there on an Expedition; it was really foul and took a while to find it.
Old 10-02-16, 05:49 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Oro
Most likely it is your filter, but if not, then check your rear tire-well area and especially the side cavities if they are separate on your car. See if the smell is stronger in the trunk and originating there.

I had an issue with water collecting and staying in the driver's side hollow below the storage tray on that side - like 2.5 gallons of it! No idea how it got in (sunroof drains were a-ok and not leaking, nor was trunk seal). Ours is a 4ES but yours is likely the same basic design.

Another thought - is your condenser drain clogged? Your car should leave a good puddle of water when parked after running the cc in "Auto" mode. If it is not, check that out. There is a lot of sound-insulating material beneath the carpets, in the doors, etc. and it can soak up a lot of water before the carpet above would ever show anything. So I in no way think that dry carpets precludes an A/C issue as the cause.
I had a water leak just like yours. It was due to dry rotted tail light gaskets.

I like the dead animal idea, maybe something is hiding in your garage?
Old 10-03-16, 08:09 AM
jeffreysw
Driver School Candidate

I want to thank everyone for the wonderful responses and suggestions. I plan to investigate several of these suggestions. I parked the Lexus for about 5 minutes with the air conditioner on and did not notice any water beneath the vehicle. Please let me know if anyone knows how to check the air conditioner drain to see if it is clogged.

Thank you.
Old 10-03-16, 09:48 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreysw
I want to thank everyone for the wonderful responses and suggestions. I plan to investigate several of these suggestions. I parked the Lexus for about 5 minutes with the air conditioner on and did not notice any water beneath the vehicle. Please let me know if anyone knows how to check the air conditioner drain to see if it is clogged.

Thank you.
5 minutes may not be enough to see any water dripping on the floor. Additionally if it's not a humid day, you'll get nothing.

In any event, check your carpets to make sure that there is no water there. In order too see if the drain hose is plugged , you'll need to get under the car and stick a clothes hanger in the drain. It exists somewhere near the front passenger seat underneath the car.