IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Factory Freak??

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-16, 11:11 AM
isFamily
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Freak??

I've searched around and haven't seen anything so I apologize if it's been covered, I have a 08 ISF coil overs, niche ect. but no bolt on as of yet, (waiting on header install PPE).
With that being said I have a friend with a 2011isf with exhaust [name brand] and I pull him regularly from a roll or stop. Multiple tries. My roommate also bought a srt8 jeep he paid quite a bit for and I get him by a car to car and a half from roll or stop.

My question is obviously, this doesn't seem normal to me, so is it possible a car can come out of the factory faster than the next? Id consider driver error but we've had so many runs I pretty much eliminate that. The other answer being they have less power than normal not so much I have more? There are no dynos on any cars at this point.

Thanks.
Old 09-28-16, 11:45 AM
s4chico
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your friend's 2011 might not be running up to par. Maybe he had a bad batch of gas that that lowered his KCLV values and the computer is pulling timing? Only way to rule that out would be to hook up a laptop with Techstream and see what the values are for both cars. Also, are you both on factory sized rubber? Larger rears could add more rotational mass and weight, but I'm not sure how much that would really affect it.
Old 09-28-16, 12:25 PM
isFamily
Driver School Candidate

Good info. He's on stock 19 mine are aftermarket 3 piece 19 with 285 rear
Old 09-28-16, 02:47 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

A number of factors come into play even beyond the wheel setup. But a few F owners who've traded from an 08/09 into one of the newer Fs with LSD and a more refined suspension have mentioned this as well. There is really nothing factual to prove this, but I can only relay what the few owners who've switched up Fs have said. It would make for a fun drag race to gain some insight.
Old 09-28-16, 07:23 PM
isFamily
Driver School Candidate

Interesting
Old 09-29-16, 04:59 AM
dprada01
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by isFamily
I've searched around and haven't seen anything so I apologize if it's been covered, I have a 08 ISF coil overs, niche ect. but no bolt on as of yet, (waiting on header install PPE).
With that being said I have a friend with a 2011isf with exhaust [name brand] and I pull him regularly from a roll or stop. Multiple tries. My roommate also bought a srt8 jeep he paid quite a bit for and I get him by a car to car and a half from roll or stop.

My question is obviously, this doesn't seem normal to me, so is it possible a car can come out of the factory faster than the next? Id consider driver error but we've had so many runs I pretty much eliminate that. The other answer being they have less power than normal not so much I have more? There are no dynos on any cars at this point.

Thanks.
I pull SRT8 jeeps by a car or two as well. I do think every car is different though. Sure there are some factory freaks as I've seen them from tuning Honda motors but you really cant rule out driver mod though. I don't mean to knock on most people that drive ISFs but from my experience the majority of drivers are more mature / reserved and think they are pushing the car when they are really not (late reaction, drive it on D, no sport mode, improper gear etc) Getting the jump, making sure you're in the right rpm range and little factors like that make a huuuge difference.

I let my dad drive my car in the 1/8 and he would consistently run a half second slower than me. Hes always owned sports cars and drives them hard but its the same car so its obviously only one variable in that situation.

Anyway enjoy the F! Its a fun car for not having a manual gearbox.
Old 09-29-16, 08:17 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Not all engines produce the same power. My experience with factory engines is they have significant variability in power output mostly because they err on the side of warranty support, not power output.
Old 09-29-16, 08:20 AM
isFamily
Driver School Candidate

Appreciate the replys. Thanks guys
Old 09-29-16, 02:28 PM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by isFamily
Appreciate the replys. Thanks guys
Probably a long shot at this point, but any idea how both cars were broken in?
Old 09-29-16, 04:08 PM
isFamily
Driver School Candidate

No idea, got both used with 30k+ miles