LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Flooded LS430 UL - not totaled - what would you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-16, 12:39 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Flooded LS430 UL - not totaled - what would you recommend?

Long story short, I ended up in a flash flood, water half way up the doors. I was only in the water 3-5 minutes, but it was enough to total the engine. No water entered the car (sealed nice and tight).

Initial quote was for a new engine from the Lexus dealership for 17k. They ended up finding a used engine, though, with 117k (mine currently has 118,800). They'd also replace carpet as a precaution. Diagnostics didn't show any other problems.

I have a few concerns: long term problems with electrical systems and sensors - with the short period of time the car was in the water, how much risk do I have? Engine - they tell me it has 117k on it, but how would I know if that is actually the truth? If I can't get service history from the vehicle it came off of, how concerned should I be? Are there other parts of the vehicle I should be concerned about with water getting into it? Transmission? Exhaust?

As it sits right now, they are offering $7450 for repair costs. Lexus is putting the new motor in and replacing the carpet, but nothing else. I've still got to get the timing belt/water pump added in to the estimate so the repair will be slightly higher.

Reading horror stories with flooded cars, I'm very worried, but am not really sure what my options are at this point ...... The car is beautiful, in perfect shape and I love it. But I really don't want to head down the rabbit hole of a flooded car with a million problems ......

Any advice and recommendations about other things I should be asking about are greatly appreciated.

TIA
Old 09-27-16, 12:51 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Without hesitation I would forget this car and move on. It's too old with too many possible issues. Find another car.
Old 09-27-16, 01:14 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Agree. Get rid of it immediately
Old 09-27-16, 01:31 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

I forgot to add - I bought the car July 4th for $12,900 ......

Old 09-27-16, 01:44 PM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Contact a supervisor at your insurance company - that much repair cost should total the car.

If it's not insured for anything more than liability, it's your choice if you want to have a car with almost $20k invested and then have to chase down electrical and rust issues.
Old 09-27-16, 02:31 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I would also prefer to get the car totaled if possible but only if the payout is reasonable. Very sorry this happened to you. I would have it repaired and then immediately trade it (immediately like that same week) in at a dealer. I would not sell the car privately unless the buyer was 100% aware of the repair and possible risks.
Old 09-27-16, 03:04 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

Unless you have a lot of free time and cash to diagnose and fix future problems, it isn't worth trying to keep it long-term. Too many sensors, wiring harnesses, wire runs, and up to 28 ECUs that could fail in the near future.

I would not add another $8000 to your purchase price of $12900. I don't think a 2004 UL is worth $23K, plus thousands more in coming years for diagnosing+repairing upcoming component failures.

I would try to recover as much of the $12900 as possible, as soon as possible, and use that money to get a well-maintained LS430.
Old 09-27-16, 03:40 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Dump it.

A flooded car should go straight to the scrap yard. They should total you out, don't accept anything less than that.

The worst part is, you'll likely be struggling with it years down the road trying to convince the insurance company your problems are from the flood damage if you try to keep it.
Old 09-27-16, 05:52 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

I think it's pretty unanimous everyone thinks I should dump it I'd really like to figure out how to get them to total it, but I'm at a loss. Thinking about at least having a conversation with a lawyer to see what I have as options. The Lexus dealer is being incredibly pushy (super hard sell on authorizing the repair today so they can get the motor .... "you never know how long that motor will be there and I've seen them lost before" kind of talk. Their inspection consisted of telling me brakes were at 4mm, tires at 5/32, engine dead, and scan showed no problems with anything else. They didn't even check the tranny to see if there was water in it until I asked them to (the answer was the tech didn't see any sign of water - note he didn't drain the tranny fluid, just checked the dipstick). It's pretty obvious to me they want the job and aren't interested in getting it totaled .....

So Geico is working with what Lexus has given them - no problems outside of the engine and replacing it with a 117k 06 430 engine with a great service history (I saw it - everything done at lexus on schedule). Any suggestions how I fight with yes, there is no problem now, but all of the electrical problems down the road are sure to come?

As it stands now, if I can walk away with the unrepaired car and $6300 after paying $150 to Lexus for the "inspection" and my $1k deductible. Am I better off selling a non-working Lexus with a bad motor or fixing it and selling a running car with a giant black eye?

Geico is also feeding me that they'll repair future electrical problems at no charge since it is a part of the same claim .... not sure how that would go, though .....

Last edited by rehr0001; 09-27-16 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-27-16, 06:32 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Sorry to hear...I feel your disappointment as I am picking up a '06 on Sat which I think is a great deal, body seems mint.

insurance never makes one whole regardless of the TV commercials. I had to argue 40 min to get that lizard co to use oem glass on my other car. I agree op should move on.....but get the lizard co. To offer you the best payout you can negotiate....good luck...
Old 09-27-16, 07:11 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

What do you all think a wet UL in great condition (interior is perfect - no water inside, no body damage) is worth? Could I get 2k out of it?

if I get it fixed and try to sell it, could I get $8500?

Am I nuts thinking that high?
Old 09-27-16, 07:35 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

What about contacting the insurance commission in your state. What would I suggest. In hindsight opening the door, fight like hell canyur agent help?

Old 09-27-16, 08:28 PM
DA51
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Colorado your car would have a Salvage Title. No one would ever buy it. It would be yours forever. Demand it be totaled. . Make your Insurance company find a replacement. It is a Safety Issue- Brakes, emission components, transmission, differential. Lexus Dealer is crazy thinking an engine will make you whole.
Get a lawyer
Old 09-27-16, 09:19 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Sorry to hear about all this. I CANT BELIEVE it's not totaled!! What year is it again?

A fellow member over in the 460 forum had his totaled just from having the right rear suspension needing replacement from hitting I curb (IIRC). I can't believe a flooding on such an old car isn't totaled.

Keep us updated, and best of luck!
Old 09-28-16, 06:56 AM
Lzam
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Dump it definitely not worth it.

Quick Reply: Flooded LS430 UL - not totaled - what would you recommend?