Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

A tale of many scratches.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-16, 11:42 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default A tale of many scratches.....

Hello Lexonians,

It seems every time I look over my car there's a new scratch. They seem like the same types, different areas. Very light, but can't be rubbed out,

you can feel the indentation when you rub a finger over them. Some are very straight, others curved.

I do a lot of highway driving on the weekends, and during the weekend it's all city. I park it in an apartment parking lot, and during the day in
a school parking lot. But they just don't seem to be the type of mark you'd get from someone's door, and they're in odd places.

What do you think could be the cause? How should I deal with it? It almost seems pointless trying to clean them up, as they'll probably just keep appearing......

An exasperated Lexonian......
Old 09-26-16, 11:59 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Now I'm starting to wonder if the problem could be an issue w the paint:

http://www.law360.com/articles/22818...paint-problems
Old 09-26-16, 12:41 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Can you please provide photos of exactly what you're trying to describe?

It is so much easier for us to help if we can see what you're talking about
Old 09-28-16, 05:34 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

I feel the same way...

Here are my scratches of me constantly taking my dog in and out of the car.. Doesn't catch on my finger, still smooth. Tried to use scratch x and ultimate polish only but it was still faintly there. Gonna need something more aggressive.

Going to use some compound and polish soon to fix this before I apply a coating. I may also even consider doing an XPEL clear bra for the rear bumper as well. I didn't know it would get THIS bad. BAD DOG! haha

Old 09-29-16, 02:43 AM
acotugno
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Where are those scratches? Can't tell from the photo. Looks like the rear bumper? Nonetheless, in my opinion, you will need compound and polish. Not sure if you are going to get them out completely by hand as you may need to use a polisher. Just be careful with the compound.

Good luck...
Old 10-02-16, 02:22 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I was going to say if they were on a top part of the car it could be cats. Those look to be from people that don't care. You must be parking next to idiots, that don't care if they scratch someones many thousand dollar car. I blame any business that puts in a 6 foot wide parking spot for a 6 foot wide car then there is no space to even open the doors. scratches could be from purses, or what ever else people carry and rub against your car.
Old 10-03-16, 05:12 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
I was going to say if they were on a top part of the car it could be cats. Those look to be from people that don't care. You must be parking next to idiots, that don't care if they scratch someones many thousand dollar car. I blame any business that puts in a 6 foot wide parking spot for a 6 foot wide car then there is no space to even open the doors. scratches could be from purses, or what ever else people carry and rub against your car.
lol.

It's the back bumper!!

Luckily, I drive around the parking lot 3 times looking for the best, widest, furthest spot for my baby. It's from the dogs nails when he accidenty jumps up or my leash hitting it. I'm going to compound it !
Old 10-03-16, 08:54 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

lol I do that too. I park it in a lot of public places though, and right now it's in a 'faculty' lot, but something happened and the gate that used to be closed is now stuck open, so now swarms of students are coming in and out all day. Just makes it more likely accidental 'incidents' will happen
to my poor car.

Not really much I can do about it. And people are often careless about other peoples' cars.

I've thought of getting a camera, but it doesn't really seem that practical.
Old 10-13-16, 01:18 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

School parking lots have people with backpacks squeezing between cars.
Old 10-13-16, 01:37 PM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Yep good point. Plus I noticed that for some reason, when people are choosing a place to park, even if your car is alone far away from the others,
in a row by itself, they will often come and park right next to it. It's almost like they don't want their car to be alone, it has to be close to
another one. And the more expensive your car is, the more likely that will happen. :-)

There's one lady who always parks right next to me, no matter where I put it. Maybe there's something Freudian going on there.....
Old 10-13-16, 08:05 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I've thought of buying traffic cones and coning off the area next to my car.
Old 10-19-16, 02:58 AM
stevex48
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, people do not think about other's cars. so we park our cars under security..
Old 10-22-16, 09:43 AM
errlington
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I try to park next to nicer cars, but that rarely works out..
Old 10-30-16, 12:50 AM
Golden95SC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maguire's scratch x works well with hairline "clear coat" scratches. Any deeper you want to use the Maguire's ultimate compound and that's stuff works miracles. Restores paint like new. (Won't fix paint that's been removed but does a good job in blending and covering the area)