LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

LX vs GX ride and seat comfort

Old 09-25-16, 06:06 PM
rhy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LX vs GX ride and seat comfort

I drove a 2016 GX 460 and a 2014 LX 570 back to back today. The GX seems to ride nicer. The LX was somewhat bouncy, even in comfort mode. I had a similar observation with another LX 570 (a 2013) about a week ago, but there wasn't a GX nearby to compare with. Any idea why that might be? Isn't the LX supposed to have better ride quality? The GX was the Premium model, so no AVS or the auto-leveling rear suspension.

The other thing was the seats. The leather in the LX was softer and the seats were visibly thicker, but after a 10-minute drive, they seemed a bit firm. In the GX, I didn't have to think about the seats.. they were very comfortable on a short trip. Long-distance could be a different story. My lower back is very picky about seats.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, especially if you've had a chance to compare these two. I am trying to justify spending an extra $10-15k for the LX (2013-14 LX CPO vs 2014 GX Luxury CPO) but today's test drive is giving me seconds thoughts. There will be lots of towing involved (hence the Luxury trim in the GX), but probably zero off-roading. One major area where the LX excelled was the engine. I couldn't believe how much quicker it felt than the GX.
Old 09-25-16, 08:06 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I looked at the LX 2015 last year, I noticed the leather designed is softer than LX 2016, but did not sit long enough nor test drove it to tell you. However, the LX 2016 is totally different leather, the seats are firm and very comfy with lumbar and other supports ( perfect fit for my size, which is small frame). Remember these seat cushions are injected to make them firm ( They are not carved off from a big piece of firm cushion) . In a long run, the seats will not be deteriorated with big a$$ pit on the driver seats. I also drove her brother in law's GX 2016 ( not the luxury one) and I felt driving a tank ( heavy and not enough power for the vehicle).

For towing, LX is better and has more torque.
Old 09-25-16, 08:37 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Did the same comparison - GX vs LX. I drove a 2011 GX and 2015 LX. The GX presented constant vibration through the wheel, the LX did not. Tire pressure will also make a big difference in ride. A truck set to 38 psi will ride much stiffer than one set to 33 so that's something to keep in mind.
Seats were comfortable in both, though more aggressive lumbar in the LX.
In the end, you will be the one driving it, not us, so I suggest another back to back drive.
Towing? Definitely get the LX as you will be pushing the vehicle harder with a 5,000 pound trailer on the GX.

Last edited by Chocolate; 09-25-16 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-25-16, 08:54 PM
rhy
Pole Position

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Most of the towing will be pretty light (~1,500 lbs or less), but frequent and long-distance, sometimes ~1,000 miles each way. Occasionally, maybe 2-3 times a year, I would tow a race car on a trailer with a total weight of ~5,000.

Sounds like age of the vehicle and tire pressure might have something to do with the bounciness. I'll try to do another back to back test drive soon.
Old 09-25-16, 09:11 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Definitely, there are a lot of factors, tire pressure, tread design and tire type, amount of sidewall, suspension type, etc. etc.
33 psi is the recommended tire pressure in the LX.
A drive of a different GX and LX and quick check of pressures (lots of dealers will put too much pressure into the tires) will help provide additional input.
I was satisfied with the ride on my 20s, vehicle only had 6k miles on the Dunlop 285/50/20s when I bought it in May at 29k miles, but I wanted an improvement so I replaced them with 285/70/17 LT E-load Michelins. It rides much better - smooth and stable on the road. With a larger contact patch, traction and noise are also improved. Not an inexpensive upgrade but worth it. With the GX, you'll get 18s standard.

Last edited by Chocolate; 09-25-16 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-26-16, 04:01 AM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Chocolate
A drive of a different GX and LX and quick check of pressures (lots of dealers will put too much pressure into the tires) will help provide additional input.
Chocolate is right. Even at new cars this is a problem. My new LS had 42 psi in 3 wheels and the last wheel was 55 psi. I had to leave the highway and correct the pressure when traveling home from the dealership. My new LX had about 45 psi. And you really cannot compare a ride quality when driving on overinflated tires.
I own '16LX here in the USA and in Europe I still own Land Cruiser Prado which is very similar to Lexus GX (just a different engine). I also have some experience with GX as a loaner. I would say that LX is much more comfortable, it should be a really big difference. So if you think that GX was better, probably something was wrong with LX (maybe the tires). And yes, I also feel steering wheel vibrations while driving GX or Land Cruiser Prado as other mentioned.
Old 09-26-16, 05:24 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 494 Likes on 375 Posts

Just a few pounds of air pressure can make a big difference in my LX's ride. I never let the dealer adjust pressure. They have over inflated my tires with some near 40 psi!

I have an air compressor in my garage and bought a good quality air gauge and check them weekly.
Old 09-27-16, 09:02 AM
rhy
Pole Position

So now I have driven 4 different LX 570s, and the ride quality issue is still confusing.

2013 CPO with 40k miles: slightly rough and bouncy. Tire pressure unknown, fresh Bridgestone tires.
2013 with 42k miles: maybe a touch better than the first one. Tire pressure unknown. It was riding on half-worn Dunlop tires.
2014 CPO with 20k miles: noticeably rough. Tire pressure and brand unknown. This is the one I drove back to back with a 2016 GX and the GX felt superior (refined and planted, not bouncy)
2013 with 80k miles: noticeably rough. Brand new tires (didn't catch the brand). Tire pressures probably okay, as they looked visibly soft (should improve comfort).

At this point, I'm wondering if it's something to do with the AHC fluid or the shocks. The roughness and bounciness definitely feels suspension and not tire-related. Doubt any of these have had the AHC fluid replaced. The only one I checked specifically for that was the 80k mile one. It didn't have a record of any suspension maintenance.

If anyone has a 2013-2015 LX in the Connecticut region, I would really appreciate a chance to ride in it. I can also borrow one of the four vehicles above for an extended test drive, and we can compare them. Hopefully this is something simple as suspension maintenance needed, so I can finally go ahead and buy one of these. Thanks everyone.
Old 09-27-16, 09:08 AM
rhy
Pole Position

P.S. the issue I'm describing reminds me of an old Citroen Xantia Activa that my family has back in Europe. It has a similar hydraulic system with several height levels. When at the higher levels, the ride is terrible. At low/normal, it's quite plush. This is what this feels like, just not as extreme. The Citroen will rattle your teeth when at the highest level, but that's by design because of limited suspension travel.
Old 09-27-16, 05:02 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

I would try to drive a new '16LX so you can compare. If you would not like it, it means that LX is not probably for you and you have to buy anything else.
Old 09-27-16, 05:29 PM
rhy
Pole Position

Not quite a 16 LX, but I drove a 16 Land Cruiser today. The ride was just fine. Will try to take a 16 LX for a spin soon.
Old 09-27-16, 10:34 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by rhy
Not quite a 16 LX, but I drove a 16 Land Cruiser today. The ride was just fine. Will try to take a 16 LX for a spin soon.
It's hard to make a blanket conclusion on a small sample of trucks. Fwiw, obviously apples and oranges, I drove an '11 LX with 40K on her. I didn't take notes on tires or pressures, or ahc service, but it rode like a boat. A '13 Land Cruiser with ~50K, which I purchased, rides and handles tight as a drum. Solid as a rock on the interstate or crappy unpaved roads in the mountains.

Last edited by hankinid; 09-28-16 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-27-16, 10:58 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

We have a 2013 LX570 since new. Rides very smooth. It can feel bouncy if set to "COMFORT" versus "SPORT" which is firmer.

The LC has a totally different suspension, meaning non hydraulic.

Ultimately it will be you driving it. I would continue testing and sampling until I'm satisfied with the ride of my choice.

Originally Posted by rhy
Old 10-24-16, 03:53 AM
rhy
Pole Position

Mystery solved! It's the tires. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Finally drove a car with Michelins and it had the best ride so far. Coincidentally, it was the right color, condition, mileage, so it now lives in my garage
Attached Thumbnails LX vs GX ride and seat comfort-lx.jpg  
Old 10-24-16, 03:56 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 494 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by rhy
Mystery solved! It's the tires. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Finally drove a car with Michelins and it had the best ride so far. Coincidentally, it was the right color, condition, mileage, so it now lives in my garage

Congrats on the "addition".