Just bought an 02 white with saddle SC

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-16, 02:45 AM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Just bought an 02 white with saddle SC

Hi all
I been wanting an SC for years, but seems that never find a good time - getting fired, having a kid (one of those life events ) so I just been a lurker here. This will be my first convertible.

Finally found an 02 white with saddle SC 4 hr away. Went there yesterday to test drive. My 5 yr old son jaws just dropped yesterday when the owner lowered the top. He was like, buy this car - hahaha She is not in the best condition, not perfect by all means just like me, so we are suited for each other. For the price I feel that I got a great deal. It has a new radiator and power steering pump - was told there was a leak, so the owner replaced them. New front bumper and driver side headlight too - I was told the car had some minor accident. The new headlight is going to need to be adjusted, it was pointing too low. I am pretty good DIY, so I am looking forward to learn things from here, and fixed them on my own. The top is working fine. The car tracked straight and stable up to 80 mph, but the steering wheel is a bit crooked - going to need alignment soon. Good tires with plenty of thread, but it was loud and stiff. I wonder if they are run flat tires.

Going to start with base lining - new oils, filters etc. She will need a few things, only has one key, so I like to get another key made asap. I also heard a thumped/clunked from front passenger side last night as I pulled into my driveway. Did not notice that during test drive, hope nothing major. She will be my daily drive, but I work from home, so the most likely commute is daily 2 miles to take my son to school, but we have another car too.

Looking forward to read and learn from everyone! This is an awesome place to in

Last edited by BCT; 09-25-16 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-25-16, 05:59 AM
OBP
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Congrats, please post pics.
Old 09-25-16, 06:46 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 567 Likes on 433 Posts

congrats and welcome to the club.
Old 09-25-16, 11:23 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

Congratulations and welcome. Enjoy.
Old 09-25-16, 04:02 PM
nomods4me
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

good for you
these are great cars and it doesn't have to be pristine (although that's not a bad thing) to be a totally fun ride
Old 09-25-16, 04:04 PM
nomods4me
Driver

by the way, the saddle interior is the best IMNSHO
Old 09-25-16, 05:20 PM
BCT
Advanced

Thanks for the warm welcome. I will post picture, but the car now inside the garage. The only key that I have broke today. I can still start and move the car if I hold the chip close the key, but it is a pain to try to drive her - and it was a nice day today! My son was wanting to take a ride, but maybe later when the keys are here. Oh well, I was going to get extra keys anyway...

Yes, love the saddle. My ideal color is white exterior with saddle interior, but black would be ok too. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw it for sale. I immediately text the seller, and sent check as down payment so he would hold it for me for a week.

I had the garage door open, and my neighbor saw the car this afternoon. He was like wow... nice car

I just realize that I can not adjust the middle ac vent up and down. I don't think that is normal. I am going to search to see how to take them off. I hope they are not broken, just stuck somehow.
Old 09-25-16, 10:49 PM
sblevins
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Congratulations and welcome to the Lexus SC family.
Old 09-25-16, 11:07 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 567 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by BCT
The only key that I have broke today..
Make sure you have the keys made. If you loose the only key, it will cost you a bundle.
Old 09-26-16, 09:18 AM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Suggest you search on the NET a Lexus dealer that can give you the spare key right away. Do you have the full out 3 button key? And the shell has cracked? Common. All you need is a new shell with the key cut and you move the innards. Bunch of dealers who will do that for you on the net.

If one is close to you, you might juts need to go in and get your spare (just get the spare, not the 3 button one) and ask for a discount for being a member of ClubLexus, which has worked for me all the time, they give you 20% discount, no big deal.

Welcome to ClubLexus!
Old 09-26-16, 12:34 PM
nomods4me
Driver

keys are easy to find on eBay and most local keysmiths can cut them.
programming is easy as long as you have one working master which you apparently do even though it is broke, it should do to program new ones

I bought this one on eBay just cos I thought the flip key thing was cool
http://www.ebay.com/itm/R8-STYLE-FLIP-KEY-REMOTE-FOR-02-09-SC430-KEYLESS-ENTRY-FOB-CHIP-TRANSPONDER-TD2-/131947841029?hash=item1eb8b44605
Old 09-26-16, 05:12 PM
BCT
Advanced

I ordered two keys from Ebay, user 1010keys, so they are en-route here. Cant wait for them to get here so I can drive the car! I don't expect any problem adding keys. I have programmed other Toyota keys, never Lexus, but should be similar.

I find out today SC oil filter is the same size as my 98 Land Cruiser. Cool, I have some filters and Mobil 1 oil, going to try to do oil change sometime this week while the weather is nice. I looked around under the car a little today. I do not see any leak, so that is good. Bad thing is I am missing the plastic cover - I am assuming there is something that cover underneath the engine. Any idea where to buy this beside Lexus dealer? Know any junk yard that is parting an SC? Does not have to be in perfect shape, as long as it does its job. I am in Kentucky btw. I may call local Lexus dealer tomorrow and price it just for giggle.
Old 09-26-16, 07:01 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 914 Likes on 734 Posts

Welcome me to CL,
i would strongly suggest you.click on this link and go to post three. It will show you how to do an advanced search. It sounds like you have many issues and most if not all of the answers are here, but can be difficult to locate. I hope you purchased the correct length key and did you purchase the keys with the three button transponder?

here is the link to use the advanced search.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...questions.html

Originally Posted by BCT
I ordered two keys from Ebay, user 1010keys, so they are en-route here. Cant wait for them to get here so I can drive the car! I don't expect any problem adding keys. I have programmed other Toyota keys, never Lexus, but should be similar.

I find out today SC oil filter is the same size as my 98 Land Cruiser. Cool, I have some filters and Mobil 1 oil, going to try to do oil change sometime this week while the weather is nice. I looked around under the car a little today. I do not see any leak, so that is good. Bad thing is I am missing the plastic cover - I am assuming there is something that cover underneath the engine. Any idea where to buy this beside Lexus dealer? Know any junk yard that is parting an SC? Does not have to be in perfect shape, as long as it does its job. I am in Kentucky btw. I may call local Lexus dealer tomorrow and price it just for giggle.
Old 09-26-16, 08:25 PM
BCT
Advanced

Hi @Bgw70 thanks for the link for advance search. I been looking for picture of the skid plate - plastic under the car, but so far no luck. Will do some more search tomorrow, and see if I can find a used one.

Regarding keys, yes, they have 3 buttons transponder. No I am not sure about the length, but seller said it should work. I guess I will find out when they got here.
Old 09-27-16, 11:34 AM
nomods4me
Driver

please update when you get your keys programmed

Quick Reply: Just bought an 02 white with saddle SC