SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

non-vvti vs vvti swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-16, 08:21 AM
tonysc400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default non-vvti vs vvti swap

hey guys, I am thinking of picking up a obd1 sc300 or obd2 (97 + ) my question is I def want to swap a 2jzgte into this car but my concerns is what is the main difference between the 2 motors, my HP goal would be 500-550 ...price difference between these 2 are $1000 bucks where the vvti is cheaper..i will keep the car auto for now and if I like it I will keep it auto or I might just swap in favor for the r154 trans..as for the wiring..is there a good source I can have the wiring done? if I decided to go NON-vvti would this be an issue? what are the issues with a VVTI motor other then I am hearing they are harder to tune...

I live in new York where obd1 cars just need to pass a safety inspection this is why I am leaning more towards the obd1 version but I love the 97 + look ..just don't want the head of passing inspection smh

thanks guys
Old 09-24-16, 11:12 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

I will give you some answers but first , sell me that MKIV , then I will help you build a 1000rwhp SC .

VVTi being hard to tune is regurgitated by people who do not know anything about them or do not know how to tune them or who heard it from their brother, sister, neighbor or mechanic !

Being in NY , your only way to pass emission is get a USDM 2JZGTE if you want to pass emissions or inspections. Not unless you have the 25 year old car rule then you can get a 1992 SC . By Jan. 2017 they don't need inspections / emissions .

Then when you go GTE , get a VVTi 2jzgte (as you said it is cheaper). For the swap harness , get a 1998-2000 SC300 VVTi engine harness . Very little mod is needed to use it on your VVTi 2JZGTE. You don't need to spend $1000 for a swap harness .

The VVTi will give you better torque down low where we spend most of the time driving and you are not even aiming for a lot of power. So, keep it stock internals and will handle your 500rwhp all day ! Just do all the bolt ons ! Even the stock TT auto trans will hold you between 450-500 depending on how you abuse it. Knowing you , you drive like a grandpa in the crowded streets of NY .. so it doesn't matter .. hahaha
Old 09-24-16, 01:11 PM
tonysc400
Pole Position

Lol ,sold the mk4 to fix my house so now I just want a poor man supra aka sc haha ,here on nyc obd1 cars just requires safety ..what's was the best years for the sc obd1? What are things that can fail on a vvti motor? How hard is it to locate a 98-00 harness?

BTW your right about driving like a grandpa lmaoo

Would I need a Tt rear end to feel the full potential?
Old 09-24-16, 02:15 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

damnit why the hell you didn't let me know ? Now I am mad . This will be your last free advice !

The differences between 92 to 96 SC300s (first half of 1996) are very minor . I will get whichever is in the best condition both mechanically , interior and engine wise though you are swapping out the engine so it doesn't matter. Regardless if it is non vvti or vvti , things can fail so you got to get an engine in which the dealer is willing to do a compression and a leakdown test so you have a better knowledge of engine internal condition. Then while it is out , replace some bolt ons like waterpump , oil pump , timing belt and others as deemed necessary .

It is not really hard to locate a 98-00 SC300 2jzGE vvti harness. I just saw one on egay today at $175 ... lot better than spending +1000 on an engine swap you get done by those who do it. Yes you need an LSD if you are aiming for power to keep that car going straight .
Old 09-25-16, 09:14 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

92-95 are pretty similar, some people like the 92 cause there is no passenger airbag so the dash looks a little more streamlined, 93+ has passenger bag. the bumper, tail lights and fog lights change a little on the 95, the bumper and tail lights are easy to change though and if you like the 97 look you can upgrade the car to that so it doesn't matter what you start with, I personally like the little stuff on the 95 and its last year of obd1 so that is what I got cause it was available, but these cars are getting harder to find in good condition, so I would just go with whatever year you find the cleanest one that you like.

no inspection and stop and go traffic, I would go vvti all day, keep the gte auto along with it, and possibly even keep/upgrade the twins but a single will be easier wiring wise.
you won't require an LSD at that power level but it would make it feel and accelerate better, definitely give you the full potential.
also you don't have to get the tt auto rear you can just drop an aftermarket or trd lsd in the SC pumpkin.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 09-25-16 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-26-16, 08:46 AM
tonysc400
Pole Position

thanks guys, I really love the 97+ look but my concerns here in new York is emission, there so strict with it..92-95 we just have to pass a safety inspection that's it..i am leaning more towards the VVTI and still cant grasp why its so cheaper (not complaining) but was it because of parts availability? for my goals of 500-550 either motor would be fine but why bother spend the extra $1000 on the NON vvti version? can USDM 550cc injectors work on the VVTI motor? later if I decide I want a built auto for my VVTI , who or where would be a good place to sort this built trans ? atf?
Old 09-26-16, 08:53 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

its because they stopped making the - older non vvti engines so they are running out of stock, kind of like how the v160 shot up in price when it got discontinued.
the newer vvti came in alot of cars and there a bunches sitting around cause people were afraid to "tune" them. turns out its actually very simple and you make more power.
I don't know if the USDM 550's go on it, but either way you can upgrade to 550's just have to find the right set even if its aftermarket.
Old 09-26-16, 08:56 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

simple reason why the non vvti GTE is more expensive is because of DEMAND . Every body was suggesting go non vvti cause the vvti has less aftermarket support / parts and hard to tune was what people were saying that is why the demand on the non vvti went through the roof. Supply and demand affects prices. There are a lot of aftermarket parts for the VVTi engines now so go for it . You loiter around the SF forum, lol, you should know by now many of the big boys want to change their setup from non vvti to vvti heads because many are getting to know what it can do in terms of torque . Just like v160s transmsissions used to sell at $3000 second hand , now they want $7500 on second hands from the JDM dealers just because of supply and demand.

now that there are more aftermarket parts for the vvti and people are getting to know the advantages of vvti , it is slowly gaining ground . Yes those 550cc injectors you have which you probably bought from me , lmaol , will work ! If you are not going through the drag strip or you don't abuse your car , for your power goal , the TT auto trans (vvti or non vvti) can hold your power . Once it breaks then get it built . ATFspeed is a good reliable place to get trans built.
Old 09-26-16, 11:29 AM
tonysc400
Pole Position

i haven't been on the " the other forums" for a LONG time simply because I was banned SMH...It seems like its dead anyway since everyone and there grandmother is on facebook

seems like the only issue with the VVTI is the leaking cam gear? which can still be bought at the dealer or you can "do it yourself fix"
Old 09-28-16, 05:25 AM
tonysc400
Pole Position

ok fellas, it seems I will be hunting for a clean 99-00 SC, I will end up putting the NON-vvti 2jzgte motor in my car since my friend will give me a deal on his..i will keep the car auto for now..my question is putting a NON-vvti 2jzgte motor in a 98-00 sc300 would this be an issue? is there anyone who can wire this up to work 100%?
Old 09-28-16, 07:08 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

it will be more of a pain when you put bolt ons onto it cause you will need to keep obd2 usdm ecu. I would get a 92-95 and put whatever into it, it will be easier.
Old 09-28-16, 11:52 AM
tonysc400
Pole Position

makes sense, Ali..your right...I will be looking for a clean obd1 SC, besides inspection would be a ***** here in nyc with a obd2