Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Chevy Equinox

Old 09-23-16, 01:12 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2018 Chevy Equinox

Chevrolet unveiled its all-new, third-generation Equinox tonight, on the day of the autumnal equinox. The timing was no coincidence. And much like the first day of fall represents a big change of the seasons, Chevy is hoping its latest compact crossover can usher in big changes in the popular CUV segment. The Equinox will do that with three separate turbocharged engines.

While the two turbocharged gas engines aren't a huge shock – there's a base, 1.5-liter four-cylinder and the same 2.0-liter turbo Buick uses in the Envision – it's the ultra-efficient turbodiesel that's likely to garner the most double takes. Diesel engines are very uncommon in the compact crossover segment. Chevy plucked the Equinox's newest engine from the Cruze, and we have a sneaking suspicion the 1.6-liter diesel will be right at home in the high-riding Equinox. There's 236 pound-feet of torque to play with, along with a more modest 136 horsepower.

As for those other engines, they're almost as impressive. The new entry level engine is down slightly on power over the last-generation 2.4-liter – there's 170 to last year's 182 horsepower – but there's a hefty increase in torque, from 172 to 203 lb-ft. The more powerful 2.0-liter turbo option makes 252 hp and 260 lb-ft of torque, down significantly from the old 3.6-liter V6's 301 hp and 272 lb-ft. Still, both engines should serve as suitable replacements for their naturally aspirated forebears, since they're probably saddled with a lot less weight – Chevy claims it sucked 400 pounds of fat out of the Equinox's new body.

Chevy shares the Equinox's 2.0-liter turbo with the Buick Envision, but it gets its own nine-speed Hydra-Matic 9T50 automatic transmission that helps it return a manufacturer-estimated 28 mpg on the highway. Paired with the six-speed Hydra-Matic 6T40 and 6T45, respectively, the 1.5-liter is good for 31 mpg while GM claims the diesel will do 40 mpg on the interstate.

Beyond the advanced powertrains, Chevy plucked lots of great tech from other vehicles in the brand's portfolio. There's a Safety Alert seat, surround-view cameras, forward collision warning, low-speed automatic braking, and a rear-seat reminder. That's on top of expected features like a rearview camera with cross-traffic alert and blind-spot monitoring.

Chevrolet expects the 2018 Equinox to hit dealerships during the first quarter of 2017, with prices coming closer to launch.
Source
Old 09-23-16, 01:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Nice improvement! I liked the previous Equinox outside, its interior was a let down, lack of features such as keyless entry and start a deal breaker for us, we did consider an Equinox before we got the first Jeep in 2011.

This looks to be much better inside. I look forward to seeing the new GMC version.
Old 09-23-16, 02:38 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I like the update. I had a 2010 version and liked everything but the 4 cyl engine that was bad news. It had all kind of problems. I traded mine in before I had the problems. The engine sounded like a sewing machine.

Do these new turbo engines require premium fuel like the NX?
Old 09-23-16, 03:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Exterior looks pretty good......interior, so-so, even in the nice two-tone scheme. On the surface, it looks like all they did, with a couple of minor revisions, was more or less copy the 2Gen Cruze's interior...which, IMO, was not as impressive as the 1Gen Cruze.

Chevy's got a nice little video about it on their web site, showing the usual driving background...the Pacific Coast Highway.

http://www.chevrolet.com/all-new-2018-equinox.html

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-23-16 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-23-16, 04:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Compared to the previous Equinox this is clearly an improvement inside
Old 09-23-16, 08:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

so this is smaller than a traverse, right?

same size (platform?) as gmc terrain?
Old 09-23-16, 08:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, this and the Terrain are basically the same vehicle.
Old 09-24-16, 08:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Exterior looks meh and the interior is now like the other Chevy cars. I like the outgoing design much more. A diesel engine did surprise me and a 252hp option makes me wonder if Toyota will bring more power to the RAV4 which can get pretty pricey despite the mediocre HP rating.
Old 09-24-16, 08:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so this is smaller than a traverse, right?

same size (platform?) as gmc terrain?
The Traverse is actually quite large...done on the same platform as the sister GMC Acadia/Buick Enclave, which is the largest FWD SUV platform that GM produces, short of the RWD, full-size, truck-based Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Escalade series.

The Terrain shares the same mechanicals as the Equinox, but with a much different body/interior. Its more square, traditional styling makes the Terrain somewhat more space-efficient inside than the old Equinox (we'll have to wait for the interior specs and and see on the new one). Our Condo Board President has a Terrain...and regularly carries her two big Labradors in it.
Old 09-24-16, 08:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

i rented a traverse for over a week recently, so i'm pretty familiar with it! comfortable, roomy, pretty quiet, smooth, but pretty bland. decent overall.
Old 09-24-16, 09:12 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Exterior looks meh and the interior is now like the other Chevy cars. I like the outgoing design much more. A diesel engine did surprise me and a 252hp option makes me wonder if Toyota will bring more power to the RAV4 which can get pretty pricey despite the mediocre HP rating.
I doubt it. The turbo option on the Escape hasn't prompted Toyota to add more power, so I'm not sure why this would. Same goes for the CX-5 and CR-V. I doubt Mazda or Honda will up their outputs as a result of this.
Old 09-24-16, 09:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
I doubt it. The turbo option on the Escape hasn't prompted Toyota to add more power, so I'm not sure why this would. Same goes for the CX-5 and CR-V. I doubt Mazda or Honda will up their outputs as a result of this.
I guess you are right. I can't remember the last time I saw Toyota add a larger more powerful option to their mainstream line
Old 09-24-16, 12:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I can't remember the last time I saw Toyota add a larger more powerful option to their mainstream line
The last ones I can remember were the Celica GT-S and the factory supercharger option for the Scion tC. But, yeah, that was some time ago.
Old 09-24-16, 02:09 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really, whoever is in charge of GM's interior design should be fired. Every single car they make has amorphous, blob-like patches that look like soap bubbles pressed together. It looks like they simply smushed everything together until it fit.

Old 09-24-16, 03:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Infra
Really, whoever is in charge of GM's interior design should be fired. Every single car they make has amorphous, blob-like patches that look like soap bubbles pressed together. It looks like they simply smushed everything together until it fit.

What a silly comparison.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 Chevy Equinox