Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Took a drive in the new Audi Q7 today...pretty impressed

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-16, 05:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts
Default Took a drive in the new Audi Q7 today...pretty impressed

As the topic says, I took a spin in the new Audi Q7 today, I was out in Chantilly on business and figured I'd hit a couple of the nice dealers out there before heading back to MD.

I have been intrigued by the new Q7. I've long debated about buying a luxury SUV/CUV to be my primary vehicle, especially now that the family SUV was replaced with the Sedona Minivan and we're likely to have that for the next several years. I miss having an SUV in the family.

The Q7 isn't the typical type of vehicle I would buy for myself, generally my thought process sticks to two row SUVs, but reviews of this have been good and I love Audis new technology so I figured why not.

So I took at white on black example with a sticker of ~ $66k out for a spin. This was a fairly low optioned vehicle, no sir suspension, smaller diameter wheels, etc. Did have all the tech.

Exterior: I don't love the new front end on Audis SUVs, the blocky trapezoidal grill doesn't do it for me, but otherwise I think its very handsome and I especially like the rear. Its a little wagon-y, but attractive. This is a good example of what I drove, wheels and all:

White ain't its best color. There was another one there that was a grey very similar to my Nebula Grey that was far more attractive.

Interior: Audi interiors of this past generation have all kind of left me cold, except for the A8. The spartan interior is one reason why I never wound up in an A6 despite really liking the car. These new ones however work for me. The look is still sparse, but everything is high quality, and Audi's new virtual cockpit is amazing. Nav integrated with Google Earth Audi's virtual gauge cluster is the best in the business, I love the nav displays there, makes it so truly you can hide the nav screen when driving, which moves in with a solid smooth thunk. Awesome ambient lighting. Seating is good, very adaptable and the third row is good for kids, I wouldn't want to ride back there. The QX60 still has the best third row IMHO, but this is a much nicer vehicle.

Only niggle, I don't like the exposed cupholders, if they were behind a door I think it would do a lot for the interior.

Examples similar to what I drove:

Ride and Drive: This is what really impressed me. The Q7 rides incredibly well, very smooth, refined and quiet, I would say 95% as well as my LS460 and this vehicle did not have the air suspension. Other high end SUVs I've driven such as say a Range Rover Sport, or a MB GLE, or a BMW X5 all have a notable ride penalty over my very smooth riding sedan, but this IMHO is the best ride I've experienced in this segment of vehicle...very impressed. Now, would that change with the better looking larger wheels? Possibly...I did have some tire noise that is not present in the LS, but overall the vehicle was probably 85% as quiet which is also incredibly good in this segment IMHO.

Overall I came away very impressed, this vehicle would be a real contender for me if I were currently in the market.

Old 09-21-16, 05:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice write-up......and some nice images. I tend to be a fan of the way Audi styles most of their vehicles.....somewhat on the conservative side.

That's a pretty impressive group of dealerships out there in that complex, isn't it? The Audi shop is only one small part of it.

I hope you didn't hit too bad a gridlock on 50. That road, even with the recent widening/improvements, can be frustrating....but the side roads off of it aren't bad.
Old 09-21-16, 05:47 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I drove a Prestige model with larger wheels a few weeks ago and I'd still say it has the best ride of any 3rd row SUV; quite honestly I think it really only suffers in comparison to the full-size Range Rover in the SUV kingdom. I think the interior is fantastic and the space is just fine inside as well.

Deal-breaker: the exterior. It looks far too much like a wagon and is just generally unattractive to me. Pass.
Old 09-21-16, 05:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I drove a Prestige model with larger wheels a few weeks ago and I'd still say it has the best ride of any 3rd row SUV.
Better than an Escalade or Navigator?
Old 09-21-16, 05:58 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Better than an Escalade or Navigator?
Absolutely- the Navigator's ride isn't even that good. Despite the Navigator's adaptive shocks and independent rear suspension it still drives and rides like a truck- it gets very jiggly over rough pavement. The Escalade rides quite well with its magnetorheological shocks but the 22in wheels still affect ride quality and the chassis will shudder over very rough roads. The Escalade also has a fair amount of roll stiffness built in which doesn't help- when it encounters a mid corner bump the relative lack chassis rigidity really shows. Neither the Escalade nor the Navigator (especially) compare to the Audi over a wide variety of surfaces.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that the Navigator and Escalade are my most frequent full-size rental cars when I travel, and they're often the well-optioned trim levels.

Last edited by TangoRed; 09-21-16 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-21-16, 06:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That's a pretty impressive group of dealerships out there in that complex, isn't it? The Audi shop is only one small part of it.
Yes, very nice. Great time of day too because the dealers were quiet, I hate to take salespeople away from buying customers. I drove the CT6, and sat in the XT5, drove a Range Rover Sport, and drove this.

I hope you didn't hit too bad a gridlock on 50. That road, even with the recent widening/improvements, can be frustrating....but the side roads off of it aren't bad.
I went back up 28 to the Dulles Toll Road, where I really sat was the beltway at the Amer. Legion Bridge at 4:00 and then up 270. I knew I would because of the hour but it was worth it, had a fun afternoon.

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I drove a Prestige model with larger wheels a few weeks ago and I'd still say it has the best ride of any 3rd row SUV; quite honestly I think it really only suffers in comparison to the full-size Range Rover in the SUV kingdom. I think the interior is fantastic and the space is just fine inside as well.
Yeah, I agree. I also agree even vs a Escalade or an LX570, those vehicles ride well but they are really a handful, and feel huge on the road. This rode as well but was still very drivable. I also drove a Range Rover Sport just because I hadn't in a long time, which also is a nice vehicle but the Q7 is a much better ride and drive. RRS is more capable no doubt, and much more attractive and stylish.

Deal-breaker: the exterior. It looks far too much like a wagon and is just generally unattractive to me. Pass.
Yeah, I feel ya there. Its a lot of vehicle though, if you really need or want 3 rows, its no uglier than say, a QX60 or the MDX with its even uglier new nose...
Old 09-21-16, 06:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I hate to take salespeople away from buying customers.
Don't worry.....most of them sure aren't sleeping on any grates LOL. That's an extremely high-income area, and lots of money is spent there in that complex on new vehicles. And, for several reasons, they sometimes let me go out alone, without even getting involved that much except to hand me the key, a plate, and Xerox my license. Other times, their dealer-insurance requires them to ride along with customers.

Old 09-21-16, 06:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Don't worry.....most of them sure aren't sleeping on any grates LOL. That's an extremely high-income area, and lots of money is spent there in that complex on new vehicles. And, for several reasons, they sometimes let me go out alone, without even getting involved that much except to hand me the key, a plate, and Xerox my license. Other times, their dealer-insurance requires them to ride along with customers.
Still though, being a 100% commission salesperson myself, I know how hard it is.

I did find all the salespeople I dealt with were very professional, had been doing it a long time. In MD it seems like everybody is always new, lots of turnover.
Old 09-21-16, 07:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Nice review, thanks. Would love to hear your opinion of latest mb gl as the reviews of that are glowing (quiet, excellent ride in air, etc.).

like you though, love that audi virtual gauge cluster!
Old 09-21-16, 08:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Nice review, thanks. Would love to hear your opinion of latest mb gl as the reviews of that are glowing (quiet, excellent ride in air, etc.).

like you though, love that audi virtual gauge cluster!
Its on my list to drive!
Old 09-21-16, 08:18 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting review, SW. My lease on my '15 Audi S5 was coming up in December, and I made the mistake of test driving a '17 A4. It has the same interior layout and virtual cockpit as the Q7. I bought it over the weekend. I love how the car drives, and the interior for a compact luxury car is just amazing. The lighting at night is amazing. But unlike the Q7, the A4 DOES look great in white with the 19" Sport package and tints! Haven't loved a sedan this much since my GS F Sport.

Attached Thumbnails Took a drive in the new Audi Q7 today...pretty impressed-fullsizerender-4-.jpg   Took a drive in the new Audi Q7 today...pretty impressed-fullsizerender-6-.jpg   Took a drive in the new Audi Q7 today...pretty impressed-fullsizerender.jpg   Took a drive in the new Audi Q7 today...pretty impressed-fullsizerender-2-.jpg  

Last edited by dseag2; 09-21-16 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-21-16, 08:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Cool! I like the new A4 a lot too, I sat in one today, very nice. Enjoy it!
Old 09-21-16, 08:45 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks! I prefer smaller cars and I've been itching for more utility, so if the new Q5 drives anything like the A4 when it comes out early next year that will be our next car. Or it may be an A5 Sportback since they are finally coming to the US!
Old 09-21-16, 09:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

great review, thanks! should be test driving this car pretty soon and also the gls.

though the gls is more expensive and also larger
Old 09-21-16, 09:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Will be interested to know your thoughts

Quick Reply: Took a drive in the new Audi Q7 today...pretty impressed