IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Daily driven lowered F's during winter

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-16, 02:35 PM
Schumi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Daily driven lowered F's during winter

I am contemplating lowering just the front with swift springs. Would love to get some feedback from other members who have done this (or lowered all around) and have driven their F's in snowy conditions. Already have a set of Blizzaks, so ground clearance is the main concern.
Old 09-21-16, 05:05 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

This will be my first winter with the F, but my previous IS250 was lower than my F and it wasn't an issue. Your front end my do a little snow plowing, but that won't happen unless you're in quite a bit of snow, and a little snow won't hurt anything.
Old 09-21-16, 05:14 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

I don't daily my F but I can't imagine just springs being any worse than dailying my S2000 lowered on coilovers in the snow. Never had any issues with snow tires. Would recommend removing any front lips or anything else you might have. In 10 years of daily driving my S2K in Colorado winters I've only gotten high centered once and it was my fault playing around in the middle of nowhere.

Old 09-21-16, 07:21 PM
ROYALISF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I plan to drive my F this winter as well. Liquidtek just answered my question... I'll be taking off my front lip and sides! I'm torn between winter tires and all seasons since we don't get super heavy snow much here in KC anymore. I guess my next question would be how are the blizzaks in say 50+ degree weather?
Old 09-21-16, 08:09 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ROYALISF
I plan to drive my F this winter as well. Liquidtek just answered my question... I'll be taking off my front lip and sides! I'm torn between winter tires and all seasons since we don't get super heavy snow much here in KC anymore. I guess my next question would be how are the blizzaks in say 50+ degree weather?
i drive mine all year long and driving in snow is not an issue for me but i am stock. when it comes down to wheels and tires you wanna go down to 18's so you can get blizzak's ws80 which are full winter tires, you do not wanna get performance winter tires because they do not work in deep snow or ice. do not get all seasons also as they are meant to be for small amount of snow like an inch or two maybe.
Old 09-21-16, 09:01 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ROYALISF
Blizzaks or bust. Honestly all seasons were sketchy even with a couple inches of snow. They are soft compounds so I try to minimize how much warm weather driving I do on them so I switch back to summer tires once its consistently warmer.
Old 09-21-16, 09:08 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Lip removal and Blizzaks will be the plan. My first winter as well, and from what I've been told we will actually get snow in the PNW this year. Was hoping global climate change would do us a solid. I don't care for snow other than in the mountains.
Old 09-22-16, 04:26 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

This will be my first winter lowered on Penske coilovers.. When the roads are snow covered or wet/salty, I'll leave the IS-F at home.. Therefore, I'll continue to run the Michelin PSS tires & go easy on the throttle (they were fine last winter). My major concern is potholes, especially with the lower/stiffer suspension.. If they get bad, I'll just have to drive the beater truck more often

-Mike
Old 09-22-16, 08:20 AM
mmartin061
banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get your self Nokian Hakkapallittas.
Old 09-23-16, 12:42 PM
Sevenfold
Driver School Candidate

How do the cars handle in snow and ice?

I'm currently driving a 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD in the winter but I'm contemplating selling it to get an ISF.

I'm up in Edmonton Alberta so winter is like 7 months long sometimes.
Old 09-23-16, 02:44 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Sevenfold
How do the cars handle in snow and ice?

I'm currently driving a 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD in the winter but I'm contemplating selling it to get an ISF.

I'm up in Edmonton Alberta so winter is like 7 months long sometimes.
i have been driving in colorado winters with my old 2002 is300 and now my 2008 isf, the isf handles way better than my old is300 did. i had no issues at all last year driving in deep snow or ice.

Bridgestone Blizzaks ws80 on 18 inch wheels

of course you can drive it hard or like you stole it since snow/ice is no joke but it will for sure get you from point A to B
Old 09-23-16, 07:49 PM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've daily driven my ISF the last 2 winters here in Edmonton, and it works well.
Winter tires on 18" wheels, 3m on the front, and engine block heater are a must tho.

Im stock height with no front lip.. I can't see a lowered F with a lip surviving here.
Old 09-24-16, 11:00 AM
InfamousF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BLKLBL
I've daily driven my ISF the last 2 winters here in Edmonton, and it works well.
Winter tires on 18" wheels, 3m on the front, and engine block heater are a must tho.

Im stock height with no front lip.. I can't see a lowered F with a lip surviving here.
my first year in the F in Edmonton this year, I just bought some Michelin sport a/s 3+ I hope they do the job or we have a mild winter.
Old 09-26-16, 07:57 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I currently have Blizzaks on my G35 for winter driving. Before this I had Dunlop M3 Sport snow tires, which are no longer made (at least by that name).

I have to say that the Dunlops far outperformed the Blizzaks in BOTH snow and dry. I was blown away when I got the Blizzaks that everyone uses and felt significantly less confident than with the Dunlops. I figured it would have been the other way around.

Just my 2 cents, but perhaps keep an eye out for something other than Blizzaks. Next time around I definitely will.

Oh, and btw, all snow tires suck at 50 degrees
Old 09-26-16, 08:17 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Schumi
I am contemplating lowering just the front with swift springs. Would love to get some feedback from other members who have done this (or lowered all around) and have driven their F's in snowy conditions. Already have a set of Blizzaks, so ground clearance is the main concern.
I'm also in Toronto. Lowered on coils. This will be my third winter on blizzaks

Quick Reply: Daily driven lowered F's during winter