SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

MY RIDE! A 1993 Lexus SC 300 With a 1JZ-GTE

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-16, 10:32 AM
Club Lexus Editor
CL Editor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MY RIDE! A 1993 Lexus SC 300 With a 1JZ-GTE

Let's step into the garage of Club Lexus member ducatisamy and check out his beautiful 1993 Lexus SC 300.

Read the rest on the Club Lexus homepage. >>
Old 09-19-16, 11:07 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

In every possible way, these cars are the clear winner. Reliability? I’ve never seen a Lexus broken down on the side of the road.

The vehicle was a one-owner car with just about 100,000 miles on the odometer. It looked clean and drove nicely, so what more could he want? Unfortunately, things changed in late July when the block blew out on him. This definitely isn’t a normal thing for these superb rides, but, nonetheless, it happened.
This is why it kills me when I see someone with a garage/driveway full of one make, claiming that every other make is inferior. Total lack of objectivity.
Old 09-19-16, 01:13 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

That's one clean car!
Old 09-19-16, 04:56 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
This is why it kills me when I see someone with a garage/driveway full of one make, claiming that every other make is inferior. Total lack of objectivity.
Lol thats, pretty funny. I hear a lot of people on here going on about the reliability of these cars, but more than half of them are 20+ years old, and gonna start breaking down a ton. I mean it seems like mine is just constantly breaking, and I can't imagine I'm the only one. These are great cars sure, but they definitely have their flaws, and it does kind of bug me when people pretend these, or any other car is perfect or infallible. Everything breaks.
Old 09-20-16, 06:41 AM
TXMAG
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by eknine9
Lol thats, pretty funny. I hear a lot of people on here going on about the reliability of these cars, but more than half of them are 20+ years old, and gonna start breaking down a ton. I mean it seems like mine is just constantly breaking, and I can't imagine I'm the only one. These are great cars sure, but they definitely have their flaws, and it does kind of bug me when people pretend these, or any other car is perfect or infallible. Everything breaks.
Part of the problem with these cars is they get into the hands of younger people looking for cheap speed. As a result many of them wind up being hacked to death with terribly performed and/or cheap mods and no money left for maintenance. Then it gets sold off and the process repeats. I'd bet a large portion of these cars have 4+ owners by now.

Like most other Toyota/Lexus built cars of this era they have above average reliability, when properly maintained.
Old 09-20-16, 08:31 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TXMAG
Part of the problem with these cars is they get into the hands of younger people looking for cheap speed. As a result many of them wind up being hacked to death with terribly performed and/or cheap mods and no money left for maintenance. Then it gets sold off and the process repeats. I'd bet a large portion of these cars have 4+ owners by now.

Like most other Toyota/Lexus built cars of this era they have above average reliability, when properly maintained.
funny but that is with any car a younger person gets there hands on, ive seen MANY badly modded cars, and you cant get cheap speed from a 2jz, its expensive now, a modded rx7 is cheaper these days or a 350z,
Old 09-20-16, 08:40 PM
TXMAG
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mikef
funny but that is with any car a younger person gets there hands on, ive seen MANY badly modded cars, and you cant get cheap speed from a 2jz, its expensive now, a modded rx7 is cheaper these days or a 350z,
Yep, I hacked up probably every car I owned from 15 - 23. Wish sites like this and youtube had been around back then. I still would have done stupid stuff, I just would have saved some money.

As for the cheap speed comment there are a lot of misconceptions as to what you can do with a 2JZ and $1500 worth of eBay turbo kit. I agree that it's not cheap to properly mod a 2JZ, but how many 18 year olds do it properly?

Last edited by TXMAG; 09-20-16 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-20-16, 08:40 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I look for 1 owner cars that haven't been hacked and have all the indications of having been taken care of. Then I fix what needs to be, from normal age and wear. I've had to fix to many peoples cars that were just improperly done and somtimes unsafe to boot!
Old 09-21-16, 07:33 PM
reydio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice!! Still looking out for a non-molested SC. Seen plenty on Craiglist, but they are either bust up or lowered with some weird looking rims. We have bad roads with large pot holes here and I can't understand how they can ride with such a low clearance and the tires are angled in for more lower stance.
Old 10-03-16, 12:54 PM
ducatisamy
Driver School Candidate

I just completed the 1JZGTE swap over the weekend and it runs perfectly well. I've replaced all the gaskets, seals, and other usual maintenance - torqued to spec. So far no leaks, no lags. Currently running it with the CX Racing intercooler kit for the stock twins, which required some hose relocation and also Tanabe exhaust. My goal in this was to keep it running for maybe 4 years as my daily commuter. I do plan to change it to manual next year. My family and friends kept telling me to dump it and just get a new car, but I proved them wrong... All done in a condo complex, under the open air, no garage, and with hand tools. Thanks to all the threads from CL, I was able to do this right the first time.
Old 10-21-16, 08:26 PM
Ezroni
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ducatisamy
I just completed the 1JZGTE swap over the weekend and it runs perfectly well. I've replaced all the gaskets, seals, and other usual maintenance - torqued to spec. So far no leaks, no lags. Currently running it with the CX Racing intercooler kit for the stock twins, which required some hose relocation and also Tanabe exhaust. My goal in this was to keep it running for maybe 4 years as my daily commuter. I do plan to change it to manual next year. My family and friends kept telling me to dump it and just get a new car, but I proved them wrong... All done in a condo complex, under the open air, no garage, and with hand tools. Thanks to all the threads from CL, I was able to do this right the first time.
hey bro great build. welcome to the SC family. i see you're from OC. isn't the 1JZ illegal in CA? how do you plan on passing smog?
Old 10-21-16, 08:43 PM
ducatisamy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ezroni
hey bro great build. welcome to the SC family. i see you're from OC. isn't the 1JZ illegal in CA? how do you plan on passing smog?
Are you a cop? lol jk
There are tons of SC300 among other motor swapped cars in Cali and we all have our ways to pass smog. We'll just leave it at that.
Old 10-22-16, 10:19 AM
Ezroni
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by ducatisamy
Are you a cop? lol jk
There are tons of SC300 among other motor swapped cars in Cali and we all have our ways to pass smog. We'll just leave it at that.
haha no cop. just looking out for a fellow SC brotha!