GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

New OEM rims vs reconditioned

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-16, 04:43 PM
tayslexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New OEM rims vs reconditioned

Hello everyone,

I'm in the market for the 18'' OEM GS 350 rims, I've been looking for them for over 2 months now. The cheapest I could find is from eBay, a reconditioned set for $900 with free shipping in the US. Now because I live in Quebec, I'd have to pay the duty to import to CA which is %15. So the total in USD is $1055. I called my dealer and they offered me new OEM set for $1304 tax. included. Now I don't have experience with the reconditioned rims but I think it's a lot worth paying $250 more and get new ones. What do you guys think?

I also tried to look for used ones but it seem impossible to find.

These are the ones I'm looking for:

Last edited by tayslexus; 09-18-16 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-17-16, 08:39 PM
sprtn131
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 09-17-16, 09:11 PM
80es300
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tayslexus
Hello everyone,

I'm in the market for the 18'' OEM GS 350 rims, I've been looking for them for over 2 months now. The cheapest I could find is from eBay, a reconditioned set for $900 with free shipping in the US. Now because I live in Quebec, I'd have to pay the duty to import to CA which is %15. So the total in USD is $1055. I called my dealer and they offered me new OEM set for $1304 tax. included. Now I don't have experience with the reconditioned rims but I think it's a lot worth paying $250 more and get new ones. What do you guys think?

I also tried to look for used ones but it seem impossible to find.
For $250 more, I would go with the dealer new ones. Also, you can talk to the dealer and try to get some additional discount (In the US, some dealers give shop discount)
Old 09-17-16, 09:40 PM
sprtn131
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There's a lot on ebay
Old 09-18-16, 12:46 AM
Sodium
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

If the reconditioned ones have a good warranty that applies in full force for Canadian customers, the reconditioned ones should be fine. One thing to find out is how warranty work would be handled (will they pay for a local shop to do any necessary repairs, or will you have to ship them back to the States for inspection, warranty approval and repairs).

The main thing is that problems are unlikely with either option (probably a bit unlikelier with new ones from dealer). But in the unlikely event that you do have problems, the issue will probably be resolved more quickly and with less hassle if you just have to drive to the local dealer rather than deal with a company in another country via email or phone.
Old 09-18-16, 09:30 AM
tayslexus
Driver

Originally Posted by sprtn131
Thanks for your input sprtn131. I'm looking for OEM rims and only the 5-spoke that came with the 2008-2011 GS 350 RWD and GS 460 models.

Originally Posted by 80es300
For $250 more, I would go with the dealer new ones. Also, you can talk to the dealer and try to get some additional discount (In the US, some dealers give shop discount)
The dealer already waved the tax which is %15. How much is the shop discount in the US?

Originally Posted by Sodium
If the reconditioned ones have a good warranty that applies in full force for Canadian customers, the reconditioned ones should be fine. One thing to find out is how warranty work would be handled (will they pay for a local shop to do any necessary repairs, or will you have to ship them back to the States for inspection, warranty approval and repairs).

The main thing is that problems are unlikely with either option (probably a bit unlikelier with new ones from dealer). But in the unlikely event that you do have problems, the issue will probably be resolved more quickly and with less hassle if you just have to drive to the local dealer rather than deal with a company in another country via email or phone.
That's a good point and I think I have to ship the wheels to the US if something happens to them. The wheels are from "wheels america", and they have some samples of other wheels before and after the repair. I seems odd to me how they repair a wheel after being destroyed. Some of them require adding the actual aluminum to fill a hole or something. But as long as they've warranty, it should be fine? I don't know.
Old 09-18-16, 10:45 AM
Sodium
Lead Lap

That's a good point and I think I have to ship the wheels to the US if something happens to them. The wheels are from "wheels america", and they have some samples of other wheels before and after the repair. I seems odd to me how they repair a wheel after being destroyed. Some of them require adding the actual aluminum to fill a hole or something. But as long as they've warranty, it should be fine? I don't know.
I'm wouldn't worry about the quality of the structural repair work – they're probably not going to fall apart on you as you cruise down the freeway (as the US is the land litigation, they'd be sued out of business by now if their wheels were unsafe). The thing that would worry me is the paint failing and/or corrosion (especially since I don't think they test their paints/sealants for protection against chronic maple syrup exposure ). In all seriousness though, since you're going to have to pay the import duty, and this substantially reduces the savings from the reconditioned wheels (so reducing the factor that would justify the added risk), I would go with the new ones from the dealer.

EDIT: If there are any defects in the finish with the reconditioned ones, they're most likely to cause problems from the harsher winters and road salt they'll be exposed to in Quebec.

Last edited by Sodium; 09-18-16 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-18-16, 12:23 PM
tayslexus
Driver

Originally Posted by Sodium
I'm wouldn't worry about the quality of the structural repair work – they're probably not going to fall apart on you as you cruise down the freeway (as the US is the land litigation, they'd be sued out of business by now if their wheels were unsafe). The thing that would worry me is the paint failing and/or corrosion (especially since I don't think they test their paints/sealants for protection against chronic maple syrup exposure ). In all seriousness though, since you're going to have to pay the import duty, and this substantially reduces the savings from the reconditioned wheels (so reducing the factor that would justify the added risk), I would go with the new ones from the dealer.

EDIT: If there are any defects in the finish with the reconditioned ones, they're most likely to cause problems from the harsher winters and road salt they'll be exposed to in Quebec.
You're absolutely right, it's funny because this is how one of my current wheels looks like:

The paint on all 4 wheels are coming off from 8 years of exposed road salt in QC, and these are probably OEM painted. But the previous owner probably kept the car outside in the winter time too.
Old 09-18-16, 12:58 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Why don't you get yours reconditioned? It has to be cheaper then buying.
Old 09-18-16, 04:51 PM
tayslexus
Driver

Originally Posted by arnieosp
Why don't you get yours reconditioned? It has to be cheaper then buying.
Because mine are 17'' and I want the 18''
Old 09-18-16, 05:23 PM
Sodium
Lead Lap

You're absolutely right, it's funny because this is how one of my current wheels looks like:

The paint on all 4 wheels are coming off from 8 years of exposed road salt in QC, and these are probably OEM painted. But the previous owner probably kept the car outside in the winter time too.
Wow that's bad! If I saw just that picture alone, I would've thought that the wheel was intentionally defaced. Previous owner probably never washed them either

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have some additional sealant sprayed on before the tires get mounted.
Old 09-18-16, 07:16 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

I bought recon rims from Ebay. They look new, and they were a great price.

Old 09-18-16, 07:57 PM
telmz1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought a set of the chrome version of the 18" blades on ebay to replace the 18" stocks on my 2010 GS450h. Let me know if you are interested in them. I thought it would look better, buti think i should of just kept the originals. Oh well, too late now. I'll take some pictures and post them in the classifieds. Here is a stock picture of what they look like.
Attached Thumbnails New OEM rims vs reconditioned-614009999-1_2.jpg   New OEM rims vs reconditioned-2010_lexus_gs_450h_hybrid_was_2010_9025.jpg  
Old 09-19-16, 11:47 AM
tayslexus
Driver

Originally Posted by brucelee1
I bought recon rims from Ebay. They look new, and they were a great price.
Yeah sometimes you can find but I guess I wasn't lucky. The ones I found were a little expensive.

Originally Posted by telmz1
I bought a set of the chrome version of the 18" blades on ebay to replace the 18" stocks on my 2010 GS450h. Let me know if you are interested in them. I thought it would look better, buti think i should of just kept the originals. Oh well, too late now. I'll take some pictures and post them in the classifieds. Here is a stock picture of what they look like.
Thanks for your input. But I'm looking specifically for the 18" 5-spoke from the GS 350.

Update: Already ordered the rims from the dealer and they'll be here in 2 weeks.
Old 09-19-16, 12:34 PM
80es300
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Regarding the shop discount, it varies by part I guess (I saw 20% for some parts). If you know any mechanic, see if he can help you get the shop discount. Basically shops have commercial accounts with dealers/auto-part-shops to get discounted pricing. Sometimes they give it to us also, doesn't hurt to ask.

Last edited by 80es300; 09-19-16 at 12:41 PM.

Quick Reply: New OEM rims vs reconditioned