GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Need help deciding on new GSF or keeping M5

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-16, 04:41 PM
vividracing
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help deciding on new GSF or keeping M5

So, as the title says, we are looking for some help with a decision that needs to be made. One of our sales guys currently has a 2013 BMW M5 and is thinking about making the switch to the 2016 Lexus GS-F. What are you thoughts on the switch? Pros, cons.. ready... GO!

Old 09-17-16, 03:49 AM
talltrini1
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If he wants to go a lot slower a lot more reliably and not modify it other than cosmetically/maybe suspension/exhaust, I say go for it
Old 09-17-16, 01:04 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by talltrini1
If he wants to go a lot slower a lot more reliably and not modify it other than cosmetically/maybe suspension/exhaust, I say go for it
i wouldn't call that GS F would go a lot slower...i would say GS F would handle better as M5 is 200-300 lbs heavier.
Old 09-17-16, 01:57 PM
Tngo23
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello

Let me chime in on this convo....I have had The V10 M5, C6 Corvette, Porsche 911 Carerra S, and now just a cruiser SC430............ and from my reading about the 2013-Present M5, it is a Monster and pulls hard and will out handle the GS-F all day long......As far as handling....Porsche 911 will outhandle them all mainly bc of the weight distro and car.......Just my 2 Cents

See C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 3.7 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 8.3 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 18.3 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 4.6 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 1.8 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 2.4 sec
¼-mile: 12.0 sec @ 122 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 155-190 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 165 ft

Lexus GS-F Stats

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.4 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 10.3 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 17.5 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 25.2 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 4.7 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 3.5 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 3.2 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.9 sec @ 113 mph
Top speed (governor limited, mfr's est): 168 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 160 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.93 g

Old 09-19-16, 01:20 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

I don't own a GSF yet, but as a former M5 owner and a regular Vivid customer over at the M5board forum, I would say that the M is a far more superior car in terms of performance, and a lot more fun to modify.

But obviously, reliability has always been a problem and being away from my beast regularly because of dealer downtime and spare parts availability would discourage me from getting an M as a daily car.
Old 09-19-16, 01:44 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by designo
I don't own a GSF yet, but as a former M5 owner and a regular Vivid customer over at the M5board forum, I would say that the M is a far more superior car in terms of performance, and a lot more fun to modify.

But obviously, reliability has always been a problem and being away from my beast regularly because of dealer downtime and spare parts availability would discourage me from getting an M as a daily car.
If I didn't have an M5, I would go with the GSF, especially as a GS fan boy, but if I already had the M5 in my garage, I wouldn't swap them
Old 09-19-16, 02:06 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Get a VW Beetle Turbo, they have a flower vase built into the dash.
Old 09-21-16, 05:46 PM
RayKnight
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats exactly what i did. I'm still a lot happier with the GSF as a daily driver. The M5 is a good bit faster on paper but in real driving it really does not feel much different under 80mph. The GSF hooks up much better and requires a lot less attention. Performance aside, There are a lot of reasons i think the GSF is a better car to live with every day. See my write up here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-m5-owner.html
Old 09-21-16, 05:53 PM
BigMacs
Driver School Candidate

Apologies for the delayed reply/update in this thread. I went and drove the GSF on Sunday. RayKnight, I just read through your thread. Here in Arizona, I deal with very little amounts of rain except during monsoon season. Dry and sunny year round. So no issues there. I am originally from WA, and am very familiar with driving in lots of rain and occasional snow though. If I lived in an area that saw lots of snow, the M5 certainly wouldn't be driven in it. That said, my thoughts were as follows:

There's no way for me to go from the M5 to the GSF.

The only pro I can think of is the interior. The interior in the GSF is incredible. Very aggressive, sporty, and stylish. I have the extended leather in the M5 so basically leather everywhere with suede pillars and headliner. But while the interior is luxurious and well put together, it isn't as enjoyable to look at as the GSF.

That's where the pros end. Reliability is an assumption. I don't doubt over the course of 100k miles, a GSF is going to likely be more reliable than the M5, but as of right now, I'm nearly 50k in with zero issues, so the GSF would also have to go that long with zero issues to match. The M5 includes full service and bumper/bumper for the first 4 years and 50k miles. This includes everything except tires. Brakes, spark plugs, oil changes, brake flushes, etc. All included. GSF gets 2 free services. 5k and 10k.

Active Sound Control was obnoxious. Can you turn it off? Yes. But it appears that you have to hit that button every time you get in the car.

Power was good for a sedan of its size, but when you compare it to the M5, CTS-V, and E63, it's a distance last place. I knew that going in, but it's still a con.

Is it just me, or are the wheel wells too small for the car? Comes with 19's, can run 20's, but a car that big needs 21's. I've got 21's on the M5. I don't know if 21's could be done properly on the GSF. The factory wheel fitment blows. Feel like you'd need at least a 20mm spacer to make the front wheels flush.

A friend said the Mark Levinson is as good as the Bang & Olufsen. It's not. Not even close. Levinson has 17 speakers and 835 watts. B&O has 16 speakers and 1200 watts, with 500 watts dedicated just to the subs. Night and day difference. To be fair, the B&O is far more expensive of an upgrade from the factory, but I have to say, the Logic7 I had in my 335i and the Enhanced Premium Sound I had in both my M3's are all superior to the Levinson.

All that said, I think if I was a GS350 buyer, I'd have to strongly consider the GSF right now given all the cash back. If I was a TLX or a Q50 shopper, I'd probably also look at the GSF.

Side note, the dealership was entertaining. Initially, two salespeople commented they weren't sure if I could drive it. It was on the showroom, and they stated they only have one RCF and one GSF. From there, after the test drive, the salesperson was trying to talk about exclusivity and that they've had a lot of interest in the car. Meanwhile, their billboard out front was advertising the $10k cash back. I advised the only way I'd even consider it is at invoice, minus incentives, minus holdback. On the lot, she made the claim MSRP minus incentives was the best they'd do. I laughed and we left on that. New car manager called us 10-15 minutes later and left a voicemail. Since then, they've called twice more and emailed me twice as well.

-James
Old 09-21-16, 09:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMacs
Apologies for the delayed reply/update in this thread. I went and drove the GSF on Sunday. RayKnight, I just read through your thread. Here in Arizona, I deal with very little amounts of rain except during monsoon season. Dry and sunny year round. So no issues there. I am originally from WA, and am very familiar with driving in lots of rain and occasional snow though. If I lived in an area that saw lots of snow, the M5 certainly wouldn't be driven in it. That said, my thoughts were as follows:

There's no way for me to go from the M5 to the GSF.

The only pro I can think of is the interior. The interior in the GSF is incredible. Very aggressive, sporty, and stylish. I have the extended leather in the M5 so basically leather everywhere with suede pillars and headliner. But while the interior is luxurious and well put together, it isn't as enjoyable to look at as the GSF.

That's where the pros end. Reliability is an assumption. I don't doubt over the course of 100k miles, a GSF is going to likely be more reliable than the M5, but as of right now, I'm nearly 50k in with zero issues, so the GSF would also have to go that long with zero issues to match. The M5 includes full service and bumper/bumper for the first 4 years and 50k miles. This includes everything except tires. Brakes, spark plugs, oil changes, brake flushes, etc. All included. GSF gets 2 free services. 5k and 10k.

Active Sound Control was obnoxious. Can you turn it off? Yes. But it appears that you have to hit that button every time you get in the car.

Power was good for a sedan of its size, but when you compare it to the M5, CTS-V, and E63, it's a distance last place. I knew that going in, but it's still a con.

Is it just me, or are the wheel wells too small for the car? Comes with 19's, can run 20's, but a car that big needs 21's. I've got 21's on the M5. I don't know if 21's could be done properly on the GSF. The factory wheel fitment blows. Feel like you'd need at least a 20mm spacer to make the front wheels flush.

A friend said the Mark Levinson is as good as the Bang & Olufsen. It's not. Not even close. Levinson has 17 speakers and 835 watts. B&O has 16 speakers and 1200 watts, with 500 watts dedicated just to the subs. Night and day difference. To be fair, the B&O is far more expensive of an upgrade from the factory, but I have to say, the Logic7 I had in my 335i and the Enhanced Premium Sound I had in both my M3's are all superior to the Levinson.

All that said, I think if I was a GS350 buyer, I'd have to strongly consider the GSF right now given all the cash back. If I was a TLX or a Q50 shopper, I'd probably also look at the GSF.

Side note, the dealership was entertaining. Initially, two salespeople commented they weren't sure if I could drive it. It was on the showroom, and they stated they only have one RCF and one GSF. From there, after the test drive, the salesperson was trying to talk about exclusivity and that they've had a lot of interest in the car. Meanwhile, their billboard out front was advertising the $10k cash back. I advised the only way I'd even consider it is at invoice, minus incentives, minus holdback. On the lot, she made the claim MSRP minus incentives was the best they'd do. I laughed and we left on that. New car manager called us 10-15 minutes later and left a voicemail. Since then, they've called twice more and emailed me twice as well.

-James
quite interested to see if they are really willing to do the price you suggested

good review!
Old 09-21-16, 09:49 PM
BigMacs
Driver School Candidate

Pretty confident they would. A friend of mine purchased one for $68k'ish in WA. Uncertain what options, but his deal was invoice minus incentives minus holdback.

-James
Old 09-22-16, 08:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Pretty confident they would. A friend of mine purchased one for $68k'ish in WA. Uncertain what options, but his deal was invoice minus incentives minus holdback.

-James
wow so this is the new low then. even on the "base" i think 68k is a very low price!
Old 09-22-16, 09:02 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

-James
Wow..$68k?! I'd trade in my 2012 IS-F if I could get that deal.
Old 09-22-16, 10:28 PM
GS35014
Driver School Candidate

-James
What are the incentives and hold back on the GSF?
Old 09-24-16, 09:44 AM
BigMacs
Driver School Candidate

Looks like invoice is 7% below MSRP and holdback is 2% of MSRP.

There's currently $10k in total incentives on the GSF.

So, to use round numbers, a GSF with an MSRP of $85k has an invoice of $79,050 and a holdback of $1700.

$79,050 (invoice) - $1,700 (holdback) - $10,000 (incentives) = $67,350.

-James

Quick Reply: Need help deciding on new GSF or keeping M5