GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2016 gx460 keyed

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-16, 12:03 PM
chidoks
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 gx460 keyed

Just picked up my brand new gx460 two months ago.. Loving this car so far. Unfortunately, I went to the gym this morning and by the time I got out, someone had keyed the car. I am new to this area and know no one so i think it's random. Dealer says the entire passenger side needs to be repainted. $1800 in damages. Does anyone have any idea how much I should pay to clear bra the whole car?

Old 09-10-16, 05:18 PM
kaiso
Driver School Candidate

Are you sure it was at the gym or the new home construction site?
Old 09-10-16, 05:25 PM
chidoks
Pole Position

it was at the gym. Its always parked in the garage otherwise. Thats my neighbors house being built and its never outside.. I just pulled it out to get some pics for insurance..

Originally Posted by kaiso
Are you sure it was at the gym or the new home construction site?
Old 09-10-16, 06:43 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

That sucks, sorry to hear this. I would think random keyed cars is unusual. I have read on another Lexus forum that a Lexus was keyed because it was in Detroit and they don't like imports there (speculation from the poster and replys).

I have seen "don't tail gate" keyed on a car before. Maybe you had an altercation with another driver and they followed you or recognized your truck? Regardless, get it fixed and move on. A clear protective film is still vulnerable to a sharp object and the cost would be quite high.

Any parking lot cameras at the gym to review?
Old 09-10-16, 11:25 PM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you park too close to another vehicle, or you have a license plate that the person didn't like, or you were unaware that you actually pissed-off some driver in the area, while driving?

It's not that bad when looking at the photos, you're still lucky the scratch was not from fender to fender because some real jealous people really show how jealous they are. A great detailing shop might be able to hide most of the white lines. In the past, a black colored polish/wax I bought from AutoZone did a great job hiding scratches on my old black car. Next time get a light colored vehicle because the scratches are easier to hide.

Last edited by LXGXSAM1; 09-10-16 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-11-16, 06:05 AM
chidoks
Pole Position

Yea.. I was thinking of how improbable that it was random but I am new to the area (2 months) and dont know anyone. I was literally the only car on the road from my house to the gym, it's a newly built up area so there aren't many cars. I didn't have any incidents driving to the gym.

Originally Posted by tecman
That sucks, sorry to hear this. I would think random keyed cars is unusual. I have read on another Lexus forum that a Lexus was keyed because it was in Detroit and they don't like imports there (speculation from the poster and replys).

I have seen "don't tail gate" keyed on a car before. Maybe you had an altercation with another driver and they followed you or recognized your truck? Regardless, get it fixed and move on. A clear protective film is still vulnerable to a sharp object and the cost would be quite high.

Any parking lot cameras at the gym to review?
Old 09-11-16, 06:11 AM
chidoks
Pole Position

The scratch can't be buffed out, it's from the rear quarter panel to the front passenger door. Lexus said they have to repaint the entire passenger side so it's going in on Monday. Preliminary estimates are between $1500 - $1800 and will take about a week.

the detectives will be by the gym to review security tapes on Monday

Originally Posted by LXGXSAM1
Did you park too close to another vehicle, or you have a license plate that the person didn't like, or you were unaware that you actually pissed-off some driver in the area, while driving?

It's not that bad when looking at the photos, you're still lucky the scratch was not from fender to fender because some real jealous people really show how jealous they are. A great detailing shop might be able to hide most of the white lines. In the past, a black colored polish/wax I bought from AutoZone did a great job hiding scratches on my old black car. Next time get a light colored vehicle because the scratches are easier to hide.
Old 09-11-16, 11:09 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

It seams like I hear about more random auto break in's and vandalism at gyms than anywhere else. Not sure how a clear bra would help - a key would go right through the clear bra.
Old 09-11-16, 03:56 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
It seams like I hear about more random auto break in's and vandalism at gyms than anywhere else. Not sure how a clear bra would help - a key would go right through the clear bra.
Xpel clear bra self heals with wire brush. It would protect the paint to certain level depends how hard the object is rubbed on. However, It is very pricey.

Old 09-11-16, 11:20 PM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LXGXSAM1

you probably parked to close to a buff guys car. With his big arms, he wasn't able to get into his car
Old 09-14-16, 11:58 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Sucks.

I would still try a little polish on it, can't hurt if the other solution is to repaint.

To clearbra the whole car would be pretty costly, a few grand easily. A good film should prevent any casual keying but obviously won't protect against other vandalism.

I'd put the clearbra money into a home gym
Old 09-14-16, 02:02 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

lexus dealer? i wouldnt let them touch the paint.

take it to a body shop instead. No way that stupid scratch costs 2000!
Old 09-15-16, 05:22 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
lexus dealer? i wouldnt let them touch the paint.

take it to a body shop instead. No way that stupid scratch costs 2000!
i don't agree with you. The scratches are completely through the paint. On a brand new vehicle I certainly would want all of the panels painted, and 1,800 is a fair price for the whole side of the car. As to a Lexus dealer, it's just like any other decision. Find out the individual dealers reputation. Sewell in Texas is fantastic.
Old 09-15-16, 07:24 AM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I always park my vehicle with one side protected, like parking beside a planter, or wall or anything where a vehicle can only park on only one side of my vehicle, many times I would rather walk quite a bit and park far as far from where people would love to park (near the stores) so I am all alone away from everyone else. When I am in a hurry, I would strategically park my GX in between two small cars instead of two huge SUVs or tall trucks - these big vehicles would put a big dent on the sides of my vehicle if the let their doors swing out all the way - at least the small cars, their doors will hit my running board first if they push their doors out hard.

If you own a premium car, you can't expect for people to be nice to your vehicle as well at all times, you must take some measures to preserve your own vehicle even if it takes more walking sometimes.

Last edited by LXGXSAM1; 09-15-16 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-15-16, 10:22 AM
kvsm5
Rookie

Sorry to hear about your car. My 2015 GX was keyed to bare metal on the tailgate. It was approx 10 inches long and cost $1200 at a reputable body shop. Since it was vandalism and not collision, per my plan, 0 out of pocket. This was back in May. In June, while the car was parked, someone backed into the grill with such force, it separated the bumper from the fenders on both sides and smashed the grill. This cost a little above $1000. The grill alone was $500. You should definitely take it to a reputable body shop.

Quick Reply: 2016 gx460 keyed