LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Bogging Down On Acceleration...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-16, 10:26 AM
Superblake
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bogging Down On Acceleration...

Hello,
I have a 2007 LS460 that bogs down on any intense acceleration what so ever. Also, it feels like its making less power at certain RPMS for some reason. Its been this way for around a month since I got it back from Dobbs, a local autoshop near my house. I finally decided to post this after what happened last night, I attempted to pass a truck on the highway, and the transmission downshifted fine, however, around 3,000 - 4,000 RPM the engine made literally now power at all... Not sure what could be causing this... I've had this issue happen once or twice before but not as bad as it is currently. Also Gas Mileage has decreased as well. Thoughts before I take it in?
Old 08-30-16, 10:32 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

What did you have done at Dobbs?
Old 08-30-16, 10:33 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Did you have an oil change?
Old 08-30-16, 10:47 AM
Superblake
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
What did you have done at Dobbs?
Just an oil change and new tires + alignment
Old 08-30-16, 10:48 AM
Superblake
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by R Z
Did you have an oil change?
Yes that and new tires
Old 08-30-16, 11:01 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Oil changes are known to cause that for a week or so. Least mine does. Due for another now.
Old 08-30-16, 11:07 AM
Superblake
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
Oil changes are known to cause that for a week or so. Least mine does. Due for another now.
Except it's been nearly a month
Old 08-30-16, 11:18 AM
sax2man2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Had that issue also - changed to Non-Ethanol

I have recently changed to 100% non-ethanol gas Premium and it has done wonders. My LS460 now takes off like a jet. I have never been so impressed, it feels like I have a new car and the gas mileage has gone up from 22.3 to 28.8. here is a link for stations with non-ethanol across the country. http://www.pure-gas.org . hope this helps
Old 08-30-16, 11:40 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

How do oil changes cut down an engines power and cause it to bog down?
Old 08-30-16, 12:05 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

No one knows! But there are plenty of theories. It's really a shame...why assemble so many amazing interior and exterior parts to make a beautiful car that bogs
Old 08-30-16, 12:11 PM
Superblake
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by superdenso
No one knows! But there are plenty of theories. It's really a shame...why assemble so many amazing interior and exterior parts to make a beautiful car that bogs
It's not only a shame, it's very dangerous especially since I'm unable to merge onto a freeway or pass if I need to.
Old 08-30-16, 01:17 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Superblake
It's not only a shame, it's very dangerous especially since I'm unable to merge onto a freeway or pass if I need to.
I am a bit skeptical about oil changes causing loss of power, however temporarily. But I am even more skeptical that your sudden, dramatic, and possibly dangerous loss of power was caused by an oil change or new tires. I think you have some other issue. I wonder if any codes are thrown even if the CEL or other warnings are not activated. Maybe you have a misfire. Please get it checked out by a different shop or the dealer.
Old 08-30-16, 02:26 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Superblake - Do a search for "hesitation." You'll read about many having this issue right after an oil change. Some very strange phenomenon, but with the amount of respondents noting the same behavior, there's got to be some relationship to the oil change. But as yet, the root cause has not been discovered.

7milesout
Old 08-30-16, 02:51 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by 7milesout
Superblake - Do a search for "hesitation." You'll read about many having this issue right after an oil change. Some very strange phenomenon, but with the amount of respondents noting the same behavior, there's got to be some relationship to the oil change. But as yet, the root cause has not been discovered.
7milesout
Is this something specific to Lexus vehicles or observed for all vehicles? There are literally millions of oil changes in the US daily, and I would imagine scientists have researched this issue if there is a strong correlation to loss of power. I am inclined to put this issue in the category of urban myth.

Engine hesitation can have many causes, but this is the first time I have heard it linked to changing engine oil.
Old 08-30-16, 03:40 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I am equally skeptical after owning over half a dozen Lexus vehicles over the past 20+ years and not once experiencing this bogging after countless oil changes. Interested in hearing how this is even possible.

Quick Reply: Bogging Down On Acceleration...