RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

question about lexus smart card key

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-16, 06:30 PM
boxieposer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about lexus smart card key

I did read few older threads on lexus smart card key but couldn't find a definite answer to my question.

I am from Canada and recently bought a 2015 RX350 F-Sport and it came with just 2 key fob. I went to dealer and have parts department checked if i could order Lexus Smart Card Key but i was told its not showing up as an option under my VIN number. I really want one and don't mind paying full price.
My question is if anyone who owns RX has done this if your RX didn't come with one from factory?
Old 08-30-16, 05:37 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

I did some reading on this very subject last week right after buying my 2010 RX450h, and from what I understand, you should be able to add it even if you did not get it with the initial vehicle purchase. At least, that's the type of comments I saw consistently regarding the older year models, and it just does not make sense that it would not also be true for newer models as well.

Here is a link to the thread I found most informative (you may have already run across it yourself). It even includes a comment from one RX owner in Toronto who has a 2015 F-Sport, but his vehicle came with the smart key card. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-card-key.html

Last edited by F250; 08-30-16 at 05:43 AM.
Old 08-30-16, 05:39 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

When we purchased our 2015 F-Sport new 2 years ago we received two fobs with the key built in, but we didn't receive a separate Card Key (the one that at first glance looks like a credit card).
Old 08-30-16, 06:09 AM
Buzzer777
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Isn't the RX capable of optioning

Originally Posted by boxieposer
I did read few older threads on lexus smart card key but couldn't find a definite answer to my question.

I am from Canada and recently bought a 2015 RX350 F-Sport and it came with just 2 key fob. I went to dealer and have parts department checked if i could order Lexus Smart Card Key but i was told its not showing up as an option under my VIN number. I really want one and don't mind paying full price.
My question is if anyone who owns RX has done this if your RX didn't come with one from factory?
Not sure about a Smart Card Key itself. Isn't the RX capable of optioning up to 4 FOBs?
Here is a link (in the US) for a CHEAPER oem FOB for you. You will have to have it programmed and the key itself cut. You can ask them or your dealer about the programming...
https://ikeyless.com/vehicles/Lexus/.../2015/1003727/

Good luck

Last edited by Buzzer777; 08-30-16 at 06:13 AM.
Old 08-30-16, 06:16 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

When I had a 2012 CT200h during the first week we discovered that if we had the RX key fob with us that the CT could not read its key fob. Lexus had a TSB to change the CT key fobs and transmitter and as part of the change they gave us one of those smart card keys. Size of a credit card, thick as a couple of cards and fits in your wallet. Thus I see no reason why they cannot make a smart card key for any model.
Old 08-30-16, 09:16 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

The smart key card was standard on Canadian 3RXs but I'm not sure when/if that was dropped. Just to mention, it has limitations such as the inability to remote start. And it's pricey too. The card and key are sold separately and the key has to be cut. By the end of the day the final cost could be well into the hundreds.
Old 08-30-16, 11:18 AM
F250
Lead Lap

What I'm seeing onlnie for current pricing is in the $220-$240 range for the card, unprogrammed and with an uncut key. Add the programming and key cutting exercises to the picture, and the total cost is going to break $300 without a doubt, and could easily break $350.
Old 08-30-16, 01:13 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

^And that same smart card and key will be more expensive in Canada. Unfortunately it's the way it is.
Old 08-30-16, 03:09 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

to Clutchless and all, After the tsunami hit Japan many suppliers of OEM
parts were off line for awhile. One of the unintended consequences included
an interference between keyless fobs made by the original vendor and those
made for later production by a substitute company. Both types would work in the
intended car just fine but if a new coded key was present it would display
"key not present" on the dash when attempting the original style.
Old 08-31-16, 05:30 AM
boxieposer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by F250
Here is a link to the thread I found most informative (you may have already run across it yourself). It even includes a comment from one RX owner in Toronto who has a 2015 F-Sport, but his vehicle came with the smart key card. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-card-key.html
even the card key doesn't showing up as an option under my vin number I want to order anyways and see if it will work but dealer told me I can't return it if it doesn't work. and card cost $600 here in Canada. n that's what brings me here on this forum to find someone who has done this on 2015 RX.

Last edited by boxieposer; 08-31-16 at 05:35 AM.
Old 08-31-16, 05:30 AM
boxieposer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JT4
When we purchased our 2015 F-Sport new 2 years ago we received two fobs with the key built in, but we didn't receive a separate Card Key (the one that at first glance looks like a credit card).
same here. just 2 key fobs but no card key.
Old 08-31-16, 05:34 AM
boxieposer
Driver School Candidate

What I'm seeing onlnie for current pricing is in the $220-$240 range for the card, unprogrammed and with an uncut key. Add the programming and key cutting exercises to the picture, and the total cost is going to break $300 without a doubt, and could easily break $350.

Originally Posted by kitlz
^And that same smart card and key will be more expensive in Canada. Unfortunately it's the way it is.
its $600 plus programming.
Old 08-31-16, 07:16 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Can it not be purchased on eBay or from some other US source for just the difference in the exchange rate? That would make our US price only 30% lower than the equivalent Canadian price. Perhaps I'm looking at it too simplistically, because I obviously cannot understand how the US price of $220-$240 gets elevated up to $600 -- unless you're quoting Canadian dealer prices.

Not saying you're wrong... I just don't understand.
Old 08-31-16, 07:42 AM
boxieposer
Driver School Candidate

Can it not be purchased on eBay or from some other US source for just the difference in the exchange rate? That would make our US price only 30% lower than the equivalent Canadian price. Perhaps I'm looking at it too simplistically, because I obviously cannot understand how the US price of $220-$240 gets elevated up to $600 -- unless you're quoting Canadian dealer prices.
yes this is Canadian dealer price in Canadian dollar. reason im not buying from ebay or third party is I don't want aftermarket I just want genuine lexus card key n im willing to pay for it as long as it'll work with my RX.
Old 08-31-16, 08:58 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Understood. I sometimes go the third party route, sometimes don't, and it sort of depends on reported success from others with which direction I go. On the issue of electronic key products, I've thus far had good success with third party products for BMW, Volvo, Ford, Subaru, and Toyota vehicles, so I would be inclined to do a third party source as long as they have extremely high ratings as a seller for that particular product line. At the same time, I never pretend that my choices should always be the same for others. Best of luck in your effort with this.

Quick Reply: question about lexus smart card key