IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 6MT Non-OE Transmission swap.

Old 08-29-16, 06:07 PM
Gamer80
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS250 6MT Non-OE Transmission swap.

Good evening everyone!

I recently bought an '09 IS250 6MT and I truly love the car with one exception: the RA62 transmission. I'm looking for a better shift feel, as I'm getting the rough shift into second (and sometimes third) that seems to be something this factory transmission/flywheel/clutch setup seems to suffer from. Now, I've read many threads/opinions about changing from the OE dual mass flywheel/solid clutch disk to a lightweight single mass flywheel/sprung hub clutch, but have read that that swap can have an affect on the synchros, or the transmission as a whole. So, I've been doing some research on alternate transmissions out there and wanted to know if anyone has attempted putting in a completely different transmission that isn't OE. I'm thinking about Tremec's TR-3160 or possibly TR-6060 (overkill for stock motor for sure), for future engine upgrade maybe (LS1 maybe, or maybe just the 2GR, like Jeff Lange did (you, sir, are an inspiration)), or possibly the TL-70 from the FRS/BRZ, since they apparently spent a lot of time making sure the shift feel was "excellent" (drove one once, but I can't recall how it felt anymore). Obviously, this would require a custom bellhousing and I'm sure some chassis work will be involved and the transmission mount will probably need altering/fabricating, and some modification to the "remote controlled" shifter that's on the RA62. I'm looking for serious feedback/thoughts only, please. Also looking for other thoughts on transmissions for swaps or transmissions that have been used by others. If you've done this, let me know where you got your bellhousing from, or who fabricated it for you. If there is already a thread about this, then I apologize: please point me in the right direction.

Also, as I've searched for this and can't seem to find it/the existing link appears to be dead, can anyone point me in the right direction on how to adjust the clutch pedal/clutch engagement on my IS250? I know that you can adjust the pedal in the cabin, but I know that the clutch slave cylinder needs to be adjusted as well to make sure the pedal/engagement is correct. Apparently there was a PDF from Sewell on adjusting the clutch pedal/slave cylinder, but since the Sewellparts.com is no longer online, the link is dead. For reference, this was the link: http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/imp...-AI-0084-D.pdf
Old 08-30-16, 04:23 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Did you have the F-Sport quick shifter? If not - get that first and see if that helps....
Old 08-30-16, 07:01 PM
Gamer80
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kickin8
Did you have the F-Sport quick shifter? If not - get that first and see if that helps....
I do not have it, but it's on my list of things to get. I suppose my thoughts are this: does a ~$300 short shifter eliminate or help to eliminate the clunking feel/sound while shifting into second (and occasionally into third as well)? Does it REALLY improve shift feel significantly? I know that compared to what I'm proposing, $300 is a drop in the bucket, but I feel like paying for something that should
have been standard is mildly criminal.

That being said, do you have it? If so, tell me what you really think of it? Do you have the F-sport clutch as well?
Old 08-30-16, 07:54 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

You really should be talking toJeff Lange

He built a 6MT IS350. Send him a PM, he's an extremely helpful and knowledgable guy

Lou
Old 08-31-16, 10:10 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Originally Posted by Gamer80
I do not have it, but it's on my list of things to get. I suppose my thoughts are this: does a ~$300 short shifter eliminate or help to eliminate the clunking feel/sound while shifting into second (and occasionally into third as well)? Does it REALLY improve shift feel significantly? I know that compared to what I'm proposing, $300 is a drop in the bucket, but I feel like paying for something that should
have been standard is mildly criminal.

That being said, do you have it? If so, tell me what you really think of it? Do you have the F-sport clutch as well?
The quick shifter did solve some of the 1st/2nd gear issues for me.... I can live with that.

Check out the forum sponsors - they do offer special pricing/discounts for parts

F-Sport clutch? Not for now as I don't drive much to justify the replacement...

There are other options as for clutch/flywheel replacement out there....
Old 08-31-16, 12:00 PM
Gamer80
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flowrider
You really should be talking toJeff Lange

He built a 6MT IS350. Send him a PM, he's an extremely helpful and knowledgable guy

Lou
Yeah, I've read that entire thread. Quite awesome, and very inspiring (maybe a project for the future...). But besides a new clutch/pressure plate, he kept the transmission/flywheel the same as stock.

While I'm sure I'm not in uncharted waters here, I only seem to find people who have swapped in different transmissions on their IS300s and SC300/400s.

And, while I know there weren't a whole lot of the 6MT IS250s made, there just doesn't seem to be as much love for them, which makes me sad, honestly. Only a few of LOVE our manuals...
Old 08-31-16, 12:08 PM
Gamer80
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kickin8
The quick shifter did solve some of the 1st/2nd gear issues for me.... I can live with that.

Check out the forum sponsors - they do offer special pricing/discounts for parts

F-Sport clutch? Not for now as I don't drive much to justify the replacement...

There are other options as for clutch/flywheel replacement out there....
Could you be a little more specific about what issues the short shifter solved for you? I'm really curious to know. I do hear its a better feel, but I find it difficult to believe that it fixes or even smooths out the clunky/grindy feel into second. Every time I read up on the issue, everyone either blames it on the stock dual mass flywheel, or says that it's the driver's fault. In my case, I'm sure it isn't me, as both my wife and I have driven manuals for our daily drivers for several years and neither one of us have run into an issue like this on either of our cars.
Old 08-31-16, 05:10 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Originally Posted by Gamer80
Could you be a little more specific about what issues the short shifter solved for you? I'm really curious to know. I do hear its a better feel, but I find it difficult to believe that it fixes or even smooths out the clunky/grindy feel into second. Every time I read up on the issue, everyone either blames it on the stock dual mass flywheel, or says that it's the driver's fault. In my case, I'm sure it isn't me, as both my wife and I have driven manuals for our daily drivers for several years and neither one of us have run into an issue like this on either of our cars.
It took some of the chunkiness out as it has shorter distance to travel.....

Did you drain and fill the transmission ?

The problem is RA62 itself....plus the flywheel.... like I said - get the cheap things done first and see if you can live with it....

Jeff replaced the clutch when he did the 350 swap....maybe he can shed some light?

Last edited by kickin8; 08-31-16 at 05:14 PM.