IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How much longer will my car last? (IS 350 2007)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-16, 12:21 PM
webjeff
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much longer will my car last? (IS 350 2007)

As the title says

My car is a IS 350 2007 has 92k miles, I always take it in for regular maintenance and get done whatever the dealer says. I even still get it waxed every year or two at most. Interior looks great still. I am the only owner of it, bought it in 08 (I think). I only drive it to work which is close to my house now, so I don't even get close to the miles for each service appointment, I do it by date.

A few months ago, my car did die on me for the first time. The alternator went out and killed my battery too. I got those replaced and everything is running good again.

How much more can I safely get out of my car though? I was hoping to maybe reach 120k or higher ?? Maybe 3-4 more years ?? I have no idea.

Anyone else have any ideas for my car? Do others have more miles and are running fine? Any big issues?

Thanks!!
Old 08-29-16, 12:31 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

You have about 10 more years or 250k more miles before it blows.
Old 08-29-16, 12:33 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

You're getting a little anxious about nothing, really. Alternators tend to go around the 8 year mark in these cars, and occasionally they'll take the battery with it too. It's a wear and tear part, some people get 100k+ out of them, some less than that, it's really a luck of a draw type of thing. Just something you have to deal with as the alternator deals with heat cycles, mileage, and age.

The car itself will last much longer than 120k. The powertrain is relatively bulletproof (although, people tend to do have trans issues when mileage starts getting up there if they beat on it/ignore fluid changes), it should easily exceed 200k. There are quite a few people on here in the high 100s/200s at this point.
Old 08-29-16, 12:45 PM
Ken167
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

I agree with the previous responses--don't worry! Battery, alternator, water pump, etc are all wear items that go out. The engine and trans and car itself have typical Lexus/Toyota reliability and durability. It will do over 200K miles easily. Before I got my IS350 I sold my 2002 Tundra with 260K miles on it--it ran like new--was amazing--not one problem ever with it. My phone blew up with people wanting to buy it even with 260K miles!
Old 08-29-16, 02:39 PM
webjeff
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the encouragement and information. I'm not a car guy in the sense that I do not know much about auto mechanics, but I know Lexus is a great company has superior cars and service... my car is proof of that. Now that I have kids and a house, I can't really afford another new one, but I'm actually saving my pennies now so I can afford another one (maybe used 350 or at worst a 250) in a few years and I'd really like to even keep this one as well. Only time will tell, but I'm glad to hear this car should hold up for a while longer... phew!

Another oddball question from a non-auto guy. I've driven the 250 with loaners and I feel I am "pushing" those cars much more than my 350's... because the power of the 350 feels like it's nothing to the car. Is it just me or would an IS 250 hold up just as well in the later years? My tendency is to believe since I don't push the 350 very hard, that it's easier on the engine... maybe it'll last longer... I might be way off base on my thinking

Thanks again for all the replies!
Old 08-30-16, 07:01 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by webjeff
Thanks for the encouragement and information. I'm not a car guy in the sense that I do not know much about auto mechanics, but I know Lexus is a great company has superior cars and service... my car is proof of that. Now that I have kids and a house, I can't really afford another new one, but I'm actually saving my pennies now so I can afford another one (maybe used 350 or at worst a 250) in a few years and I'd really like to even keep this one as well. Only time will tell, but I'm glad to hear this car should hold up for a while longer... phew!

Another oddball question from a non-auto guy. I've driven the 250 with loaners and I feel I am "pushing" those cars much more than my 350's... because the power of the 350 feels like it's nothing to the car. Is it just me or would an IS 250 hold up just as well in the later years? My tendency is to believe since I don't push the 350 very hard, that it's easier on the engine... maybe it'll last longer... I might be way off base on my thinking

Thanks again for all the replies!
With the 350 you don't need to push it hard to get anywhere decently quick. With the 250, however, you practically have to floor it everywhere.

On the subject of "Toyota reliability" I am one that can attest to it. Got a Sequoia w/ 260k, a GS300 with 220k, an SC400 with 320k, and an IS350 with 170k. They just don't break.
Old 08-30-16, 09:51 AM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mines a 2007 is350 also with 152k.
replaced alternator around 120k, brake booster/master cylinder and probably about 3 batteries.
Interior still looks great except for the dreaded melting door panels. if i got those replaced it would look almost brand new except for regular wear on the driver seats. Back seats look brand new.
Old 08-30-16, 01:02 PM
evilSuRGe
Driver School Candidate

I purchase a 07' is350 with 233,000 miles back in February. The previous owner was driving over a 100 miles a day. The only reason i bought it with so many miles was one the price ($5000), and the car facts showed she took it to the dealer regularly. It has all of the recalls done including the interior. Needs new paint and suspension. I've replaced the front wheel hubs and installed new brakes pads and rotors when i first got it. Just seaformed the intake this past weekend and replaced the spark plugs. It's now at 238,000 and she runs great.
Old 08-30-16, 01:53 PM
Ken167
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by evilSuRGe
I purchase a 07' is350 with 233,000 miles back in February. The previous owner was driving over a 100 miles a day. The only reason i bought it with so many miles was one the price ($5000), and the car facts showed she took it to the dealer regularly. It has all of the recalls done including the interior. Needs new paint and suspension. I've replaced the front wheel hubs and installed new brakes pads and rotors when i first got it. Just seaformed the intake this past weekend and replaced the spark plugs. It's now at 238,000 and she runs great.
Wow that's great! Is the engine using oil?
Old 08-30-16, 03:22 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Unless you want a new car....it will last forever if you keep up with the maintenance...at least 200K+ miles
Old 08-30-16, 05:13 PM
leoferus
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm a Toyota technician. I can tell you from experience that if you take care of your vehicle, the power plant and transmission will hold strong longer than you can imagine. It really isn't uncommon for these vehicles to reach high 200-300k miles. The 2GR platform is utilized in a lot of Toyotas. A lot. They, if cared for, do not die. The transmissions, same story. Soccer moms beat the heck out of the 2GRs in Siennas and Highlanders and can't seem to kill them.

As others have mentioned, there are, of course, items that are considered wear items that will require replacement at some point. Alternators, batteries, water pumps, etc. Suspension is a highly overlooked area. The suspension starts to display symptoms around 200k, maybe less, depending on how you drive, where you live, etc. A friend of mine has a 1998 Land Cruiser with almost 200k miles. He's maintained it well and it still runs like new.

I just bought a 2010 IS350 with 106k miles. I consider it barely broken in.
Old 08-30-16, 07:27 PM
Parsa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

change transmission fluid every 75k. there is NO such thing as "life time tranny fluid"
Old 08-30-16, 08:59 PM
webjeff
Driver School Candidate

Wow, this is very good news to hear. I absolutely love my car. Even after 8 years I wouldn't want to drive anything else.
Old 08-30-16, 11:21 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Somebody post 300k miles on their IS350 last week on FB IS350/ISF Freak groups.
Old 09-18-16, 06:43 AM
videopho
Driver School Candidate

Mine is at 98k mikes at the moment. Battery & alternator jointly died and stranded me in the middle of no where in deep southeast of Texas at night.
Had those replaced and at times tempting to get rid of her but I still like the power and the amenities of it so trying to hang on for it may be a bit longer.
Toyota service advisor once mentioned while at the oil change (at 92k interval) that I should change the tranny fluid at 100k.
Should I or wait?

Quick Reply: How much longer will my car last? (IS 350 2007)