LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Another Strut rod job .... need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-16, 11:12 AM
shaft1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Strut rod job .... need help

I got the passenger side done but the drive side strut rod bushing end is stuck on bolt -- would not rotate and bolt would not come out. I've been pounding the bolt out but will not budge. I believe the bolt is seized / rusted on the strut rod inner metal sleeve.

Any ideas on how I can free the bolt? Thank you.
Old 08-28-16, 11:33 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Spray Kroil on it or Pblaster or what ever it is called. A good air hammer maybe needed to pound it out, plan on replacing it with a new one. Even an impact wrench may loosen it.
Old 08-28-16, 12:12 PM
shaft1
Rookie

Originally Posted by dicer
Spray Kroil on it or Pblaster or what ever it is called. A good air hammer maybe needed to pound it out, plan on replacing it with a new one. Even an impact wrench may loosen it.
Already soaked it with PBlaster. Will try the air hammer also. Is the cam bolt still available from the dealer? Part #? How do you suggest using the impact wrench ?
Old 08-28-16, 03:19 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

May need to use a big pry bar to lever the strut rod a bit straight then try pounding the bolt out.

Sometimes, depending on how it's twisted, carefully jacking up the entire upright a bit up (so it's closer to ride height orientation) will help reallign everything to take the bolt out. Be very careful when doing this as you're compressing the suspension and can upset it on the jack stands if you do it too much.
Old 08-28-16, 03:41 PM
shaft1
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
May need to use a big pry bar to lever the strut rod a bit straight then try pounding the bolt out.

Sometimes, depending on how it's twisted, carefully jacking up the entire upright a bit up (so it's closer to ride height orientation) will help reallign everything to take the bolt out. Be very careful when doing this as you're compressing the suspension and can upset it on the jack stands if you do it too much.
I have the strut rod off the lower control arm so it's just hanging on the bushing side so there's no tension on the rod at all. I've been pounding it, added heat with no luck.

I'm thinking at this point that cutting the bolt might be the only option. What's the most effective way of cutting the bolt off? These bolts might be grade 10 so a sawzall might not work. Any ideas? Acetylene torch?

PureDrifter -- would you happen to have the part number of for the bolt? I don't have a service manual. Thank you.
Old 08-28-16, 05:49 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Impact wrench? Just like anyother bolt or nut. The eccentric will just move like it normally should. All you need to do is get it to spin and break the corrosion holding it then pound it out.
If you have to cut it I'd try a small abrasive cut off tool if it will fit in there. I don't like to use a torch on car stuff unless its the only way.
Old 08-28-16, 05:54 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...rimLevel=19107

Here's your parts book for when you need it.
Old 08-28-16, 06:06 PM
shaft1
Rookie

Finally got the bolt out ............. I removed the big metal piece circled in red below and pounded the bolt out. I just need to see if I can salvage the bolt since i did some damage to it, if not I will just buy another one.

I tried the impact wrench, air hammer, heat, lots of PBlaster none of those worked. Pounding the bolt in an open area was the ticket.

Thank you for everybody's help.

Last edited by shaft1; 08-28-16 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-28-16, 08:06 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

And when out a good press could have done it too.
Old 08-28-16, 08:28 PM
brybo86
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shaft1
Finally got the bolt out ............. I removed the big metal piece circled in red below and pounded the bolt out. I just need to see if I can salvage the bolt since i did some damage to it, if not I will just buy another one.

I tried the impact wrench, air hammer, heat, lots of PBlaster none of those worked. Pounding the bolt in an open area was the ticket.

Thank you for everybody's help.

so did the new bars fix the clunk?
Old 08-28-16, 08:42 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

he hasn't had a chance to get it in yet I would guess.

The strut rods are the single most common cause of front end clunks in LS400s.
Old 08-29-16, 04:10 AM
shaft1
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
he hasn't had a chance to get it in yet I would guess.

The strut rods are the single most common cause of front end clunks in LS400s.

I did not have the time to finish it last night. Will try to put everything back together today after work. I also have the transmission mount to install as well and do an oil change.

Old 08-29-16, 06:05 PM
shaft1
Rookie

Does anybody know the torque value of the bolts for the big metal piece I removed (circled in red above) ? Sorry I don't have the service manual and I don't even know the actual part name of that big piece.
Old 08-30-16, 01:43 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Does the sway bar go through this bracket? Does it have 4 fasteners? If I'm looking at the right thing in the manual the bolts are tightened to 53 ft/lb.
Old 08-30-16, 03:43 PM
shaft1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Banshee365
Does the sway bar go through this bracket? Does it have 4 fasteners? If I'm looking at the right thing in the manual the bolts are tightened to 53 ft/lb.
Yes sir. Really appreciate the help.

Quick Reply: Another Strut rod job .... need help