IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 Trans Fluid Exchange

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-16, 03:58 PM
leoferus
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default IS350 Trans Fluid Exchange

Wow, that was difficult! I just purchased a new to me, but well used, 2010 IS350 with 104k miles on the odometer. I am in the process of performing all the required preventive maintenance services such as coolant, brake fluid, power steering fluid <= joke, gear oil, spark plugs (Iridium plugs every 60k? Really? Damn!), and transmission fluid.

I am a Toyota technician and we do not have, at my shop, the appropriate fittings to exchange the fluid on these transmissions. Most, if not all of our transmissions have external cooler lines. Anyways, I found a set of fittings that would work, I used a set from a fuel pressure gauge. Once I had these set, the process is easy. Anyways, I've been reading about people wondering if the fluid exchange is required or not, well, judging by the condition of my 104k mile old fluid, YES. Absolutely do it. I believe some people have mentioned in other threads that if you drive hard you should exchange the fluid more often. I agree.

Anyways, don't be surprised if shops don't have the ability to perform this service for you. Call around. Someone should be able to do it. Even without the specific fittings someone should be able to figure it out. The access points are the fill plug and the line pressure test point.

I hope this helps someone.
The following 2 users liked this post by leoferus:
CharonRega (12-08-16), Chopschaos (12-12-20)
Old 08-27-16, 04:07 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Hey 60000mile =100000kms whats the problem i have pulled them out with more miles and they are still good cheer. Have you ever changed a ISF gearbox oil.
Old 08-27-16, 04:17 PM
leoferus
Rookie

Originally Posted by isfvss
Hey 60000mile =100000kms whats the problem i have pulled them out with more miles and they are still good cheer. Have you ever changed a ISF gearbox oil.
No problem with my transmission. I just wanted to start fresh. We don't get too many Lexus vehicles at our dealership. My IS350 is the first to come through our service department in need of a transmission service. I believe most Lexus owners in my area believe the fluid is, in fact, good for the life of the transmission.

I've never touched an ISF gearbox. I wish.

On the topic of trans fluid, I'll be replacing mine at 50k intervals.

The Iridium spark plugs that are used on the 2GR-FE (Camry, Avalon, etc.), last 120k miles. And, as you've mentioned, they look new even at that interval. At 60k miles is half the service interval we go by.

Last edited by leoferus; 08-27-16 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Needed to add one more thing.
Old 08-27-16, 06:18 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by leoferus
The Iridium spark plugs that are used on the 2GR-FE (Camry, Avalon, etc.), last 120k miles. And, as you've mentioned, they look new even at that interval. At 60k miles is half the service interval we go by.
Interesting...

I am NOT a mechanic.

Why do you think ours have to be changed every 60k???
Old 08-27-16, 06:20 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

I did mine at 100k, too.

And sent it out for analysis.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-analyzed.html
Old 08-27-16, 06:46 PM
leoferus
Rookie

Originally Posted by 355F1
Interesting...

I am NOT a mechanic.

Why do you think ours have to be changed every 60k???
The Toyota Information System tells me every 60k miles for spark plugs.
Old 08-27-16, 07:06 PM
leoferus
Rookie

Originally Posted by 355F1
I did mine at 100k, too.

And sent it out for analysis.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-analyzed.html
Mine passed the sniff and taste test. GTG.
Old 12-08-16, 06:08 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay I'm confused, so should I or should I not change the transmission fluid?? My car has 138k miles and Ive had it since 80k miles. I drive somewhat aggressively but nothing crazy. My car still shifts smooth and I've never had problems with the transmission yet. Is it still recommended to do this service on my car?

Also where can I even take it to get the service done properly? I took my car to Valley Lexus in Modesto for service when I was having an electrical issue and it seemed to me they had no idea what they were doing because they couldn't figure out the problem and we're trying to nickel and dime me to death by trying "possible solutions". Needless to say my opinion of them changed after that...

So with that being said , how can I even trust them to change it for me? Or can someone recommend me to another place? Perhaps Toyota would do it?
The following users liked this post:
scchreiber (12-17-21)
Old 12-08-16, 08:13 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

I just recently just drained and filled my trans fluid. I have a 2010 IS250 AWD with 59k miles. The first drain and fill the oil was pure black. The second was a rusty orange looking oil. Third time it was a dark brown reddish color. It wasn't until the fourth drain in full that the oil was actually cherry red. For each drain and fill I used exactly 4qts. Now the car downshifts faster than before. Previously it seemed like it took forever to when I needed to accelerate changing a lane.
The following 2 users liked this post by MikeFig82:
ncatona (10-22-20), scchreiber (12-17-21)
Old 12-08-16, 08:47 AM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
Okay I'm confused, so should I or should I not change the transmission fluid?? My car has 138k miles and Ive had it since 80k miles. I drive somewhat aggressively but nothing crazy. My car still shifts smooth and I've never had problems with the transmission yet. Is it still recommended to do this service on my car?

Also where can I even take it to get the service done properly? I took my car to Valley Lexus in Modesto for service when I was having an electrical issue and it seemed to me they had no idea what they were doing because they couldn't figure out the problem and we're trying to nickel and dime me to death by trying "possible solutions". Needless to say my opinion of them changed after that...

So with that being said , how can I even trust them to change it for me? Or can someone recommend me to another place? Perhaps Toyota would do it?
Yes, you should have it flushed. I don't think Toyota will do it but you can try. Just make sure they understand you want a flush and not a drain and fill. If they won't do it then I would look around for a shop that specializes in Lexus and Toyota Repair. They will probably be able to help you. I did a quick search and here is one that I found.

http://www.specializedautomotive.net/services

Just make sure and tell them that the IS is not like other Toyota's. It sends coolant to the Transmission to cool the Transmission fluid. You will have to decide whether they meet your standards.

The only other thing I could suggest is the trickle method. Where you empty the pan and add 2.5 liters (or what ever came out) of Fluid. Do this every week or two until the fluid looks red and fresh. Remember to measure what came out and put the exact amount back in. Do while the car is cold and you don't have to worry about fluid expansion.
Old 12-08-16, 09:05 AM
CharonRega
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I knew a Lexus owner that changed his every 40,000 but he was a mechanic who did it himself. He also drove like a maniac.
The following users liked this post:
scchreiber (12-17-21)
Old 12-08-16, 09:35 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I did my 1st drain and fill on my 350 a few months back. Interestingly, the IS transmission is the same as my 2006 Miata transmission. Miata uses a Toyota tranny.
Old 12-08-16, 11:57 AM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

There is a YouTube video that shows how to change the fluid yourself on a sealed Lexus transmission. My car has 52k miles. I'll be doing it in the very near future. I dont believe in never changing it
Old 12-08-16, 07:14 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by tlts82
I just recently just drained and filled my trans fluid. I have a 2010 IS250 AWD with 59k miles. The first drain and fill the oil was pure black. The second was a rusty orange looking oil. Third time it was a dark brown reddish color. It wasn't until the fourth drain in full that the oil was actually cherry red. For each drain and fill I used exactly 4qts. Now the car downshifts faster than before. Previously it seemed like it took forever to when I needed to accelerate changing a lane.
Ive done the same next time will be my 3rd time, i do it every oil change time gap, how about you ? ...man i notice Lexus IS 2nd gen transmission isn't smooth like Toyota Camry. you can feel it every 1st 2nd and slightly 3rd gear it smooth at 4th 5th 6th gear unless you drive aggressively, if you drive gently you can feel the gears are shifting up and down.
Old 12-09-16, 04:55 AM
HankMoody
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

My car, 06' IS350 70K miles.. Did the first drain and refill 1 week ago, about 2.5ish quarts of ugly dark trans fluid came out..

Quick Reply: IS350 Trans Fluid Exchange