RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

If you were to do it again, what options would you get or do away with?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-16, 07:35 PM
BPRescue
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you were to do it again, what options would you get or do away with?

He all you 2016 RX350 owners. I am looking at buying in the coming weeks. Having owned yours for a while, if you were to do it again, what options would you include? Which ones would you do away with?

For me, I think the below is a must, but I am open to others...

-20" split spoke wheels
-12.3 Nav
-Heated and ventilated seats

Also, does that panoramic window have good insulation? In the desert here, so I am concerned it does not block the heat as well as the moonroof.

Thank you!!!
Old 08-26-16, 08:13 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

To add to your list, I think Lexus Safety System+ is a must-have. Saving you from one accident will already recoup this low cost option. My father didn't add this to his car, and now he's regretting it.
Old 08-27-16, 04:56 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Hmm...

If money were tight, as a male almost turning 30, I would get:

F SPORT (I love that exterior and the rims)
Lexus Safety System (all features) ( not perfect, but it is good to know there is something out there to maybe brake for me when something bad happens)
Triple LED headlights (great look, visibility, more subtle added features, makes the value of the car go way up)

I would not get:

Pano moon roof (So far, socal got to about 114, over 100 for a while, NO Issues with heat. Just have the black piece cover over, so essentially it's like not having a moonroof. But when it cools down, man I love this so much, but if I was cost saving as much as possible, it isn't really necessary)
towing prep package (I don't tow, but the larger radiator, etc is always nice to have)
touch free rear trunk (I barely use this feature, it does work, but it isn't as easy and handy as Mercedes/BMW/Ford's foot kick)
HUD

This is based on if I really could spread my money thin and only get the things that when I look back at the car x amount of years later, I am happy to say that is my car.

Last edited by aznkorboi; 08-27-16 at 05:00 AM. Reason: more info
The following users liked this post:
blayze1983 (07-13-20)
Old 08-29-16, 12:45 AM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would not get:

Pano moon roof (So far, socal got to about 114, over 100 for a while, NO Issues with heat. Just have the black piece cover over, so essentially it's like not having a moonroof. But when it cools down, man I love this so much, but if I was cost saving as much as possible, it isn't really necessary)

i lives in Las Vegas, so weather is around 120+ Pano roof isn't an issue, get your car 35% tint all around with 100% air UV tint, and 15% tint on sunroof (cost around $100) now you can enjoy everything about it again

towing prep package (I don't tow, but the larger radiator, etc is always nice to have)

I owned a 2010 RX FWD and never plan on towing either, but then i bought a small utility trailer for my rental property to tow 1000lbs less and regret not having it... having to get towing kit+ wiring is a pain

touch free rear trunk (I barely use this feature, it does work, but it isn't as easy and handy as Mercedes/BMW/Ford's foot kick)

agree with you.. lexus mess this up bad..

HUD
This is based on if I really could spread my money thin and only get the things that when I look back at the car x amount of years later, I am happy to say that is my car.

HUD is my all time fave!!!

Old 08-29-16, 08:54 AM
daveylin
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would of went hybrid... i get 16 to 18 mpg and i think the hybrid people are getting 28... even with the premium price difference in gas, I think it will cover the 3k or so price difference within 3 years or so, and im planning on keeping the car till the wheels fall off.
Old 08-29-16, 09:15 AM
BPRescue
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The question on the Moonroof comes from owning a Grand Cherokee Overland for all of 6 months before I sold it. Very comfortable, looked good, powerful engine, junk product. Anyway, one item I did not like was that you could never really get the cabin comfortable during the day with the huge moon roof with the cloth cover. Difficult to explain, but even on the hottest days in any other vehicle I had, you could get even cooling and shut the AC down. With the GC, you always had the fan higher during the daytime as to try and cool the upper layer of air surrounding your head in the vehicle. Night was Ok, but when the sun was hitting it, you felt the heat. It's just odd to have different thermal layers in the vehicle. I will consider the tint however...

As for towing, I have a Tundra TRD Pro for towing the boat, or camper, so no chance I will use the RX with it's minimal capacity. I want this more for luxury and comfort as the main driver, road trips, etc. Though as you guys say, having the larger radiator and tranny cooler is a good thing regardless.

As for Hybrid's, I think they are getting better, but we are still nowhere close to where it should be, and not interested in replacing them batteries in 6 years. That is a major expense that also impacts resale. I'm in renewable energy by career if that tells you anything...
Old 08-29-16, 10:17 AM
asheville
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would ditch the parking assist (turned it off). I definitely wish I had the pano view monitor. Other than that, keep everything the same.
Old 08-29-16, 10:33 AM
SFocLA
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had two 2016 F Sports, one $57k msrp, other $59k msrp.

The lexus safety system is a huge benefit, especially in southern california where traffic goes from 80-5mph is seconds

Here are the minor things I do not care for:
- ventilated seats
-f sport seats, my *** hurts now after 8 months of commuting, but this could be because I got big legs.
-heat steering wheel
-Heads up display

I love my pano roof, so does my son in the back seat, in socal I have it open during morning and evening commute.

Old 08-29-16, 10:55 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

I have all options except rear entertainment system and I would keep them all.

HUD is very useful if you have a hybrid.
I tinted the pano roof with 5% ceramic - definitely no issues with heat even on 90+ degree sunny days.

Everyone is different though. I always regret not getting an option later on so I opted to get everything.
Old 08-29-16, 01:24 PM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by daveylin
I would of went hybrid... i get 16 to 18 mpg and i think the hybrid people are getting 28... even with the premium price difference in gas, I think it will cover the 3k or so price difference within 3 years or so, and im planning on keeping the car till the wheels fall off.
Just do the math and see if it will. (it won't BTW)

http://www.money-zine.com/calculator...ar-calculator/

Old 08-29-16, 03:23 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bootman

The last time I did the comparison it would take about 7 years to recoup the extra cost of the hybrid and that was based on gas prices more expensive than today's.

Old 08-29-16, 03:24 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by bootman

That's only partially true. If he drives more than 92k in three years, he WILL break even.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...rt-2-cost.html

Basically the difference in cost is $2,670 and breakeven point is 92k miles. This doesn't factor in the savings from more frequent brake replacement or parts replacements either.

But there are more reasons to go hybrid besides gas savings:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...-worth-it.html
Old 08-29-16, 03:26 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by sc400
The last time I did the comparison it would take about 7 years to recoup the extra cost of the hybrid and that was based on gas prices more expensive than today's.
Sounds right at 12k miles per year!
Old 08-29-16, 06:16 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What items you would do without.

None. I do not have running boards or rear seat entertainment. The car is too low to the ground for the running boards. The only people who use the car are my wife and myself, so no need for rear seat entertainment. I have all the other options and I like all of them
Old 08-30-16, 09:14 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
That's only partially true. If he drives more than 92k in three years, he WILL break even.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...rt-2-cost.html

Basically the difference in cost is $2,670 and breakeven point is 92k miles. This doesn't factor in the savings from more frequent brake replacement or parts replacements either.

But there are more reasons to go hybrid besides gas savings:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...-worth-it.html
34K a year in city driving is a lot to break even in 3 years.
12-15K is more like it.

Also for those that think in terms of environmental benefits you should look up how lithium batteries are made.

As i replied to that thread, still a nice car.

Quick Reply: If you were to do it again, what options would you get or do away with?