Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Black cheetah like spots on the stock rims of 2014 IS250 F SPORT

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-16, 09:15 PM
14LIS250F
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black cheetah like spots on the stock rims of 2014 IS250 F SPORT

I am just wondering if the rims are doomed at this point. I am not really sure how these marks got there. I only noticed today after having my car detailed for the first time as they informed me "of black spots that appeared after washing off the dirt".
I am curious if maybe it was one of their products that they used and perhaps tried to play it off as something that was there before they touched the car.
I feel like it's something I would have noticed as I have washed the car before. I've only used soap and water, and have never really bothered cleaning the rims.
Old 08-28-16, 01:28 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i owned a 2013 GS F Sport and returned 2 sets of brand new wheels for the same problem...noticed it after 1 week of ownership. it was actually a defect in the wheels from the factory, the stains were behind the clear coat. they replaced (free of charge of course) both times. i finally had the wheels refinished and powder coated in hyper silver... courtesy of Lexus.
Old 09-02-16, 06:03 AM
TXEDIS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be a cleaner that the detailer used. Here is a similar thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...-bodyshop.html
Old 07-28-17, 04:47 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Same on my 15 LX with the black chrome wheels. How much does it cost to fix?
Old 07-28-17, 05:06 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

There must be about a thousand of these threads about this specific wheel finish. I cannot believe Lexus is still coating wheels in this formula despite all the issues people have reported.

Those stains are the result of someone washing the wheels while they are hot and the chemicals they used dried onto the finish. Even if they are not hot, leaving a chemical to dry on this finish will stain it so you have to be very OCD and keep rinsing the wheel as you're washing it to not allow the chance of staining.
Old 07-30-17, 08:11 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
There must be about a thousand of these threads about this specific wheel finish. I cannot believe Lexus is still coating wheels in this formula despite all the issues people have reported.

Those stains are the result of someone washing the wheels while they are hot and the chemicals they used dried onto the finish. Even if they are not hot, leaving a chemical to dry on this finish will stain it so you have to be very OCD and keep rinsing the wheel as you're washing it to not allow the chance of staining.
So am I screwed? Mines a CPO, did not notice the stains when I got it a week ago. Would this be covered under CPO? If not how do you fix it?
Old 07-30-17, 08:55 AM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

This is far too common, a good remedy is:

1) don't work on a hot wheel (start in the morning, or if you must detail after a drive, give them some time to cool down)

2) When using harsh chemicals and acid based wheel cleaners that chemically brake down the brake dust, be sure to rinse thoroughly. Kind of the same concept as iron x, you don't want these cleaners to dry on the wheel like you don't want the iron x to dry on your paint.

3) You may be able to use your car wash soap or rinse less solution depending on how you maintain them. In my world, If I go two weeks the brake dust becomes too much, but on a normal car its much easier.

4) work one wheel thoroughly first prior to moving onto the next then the paint as you don't want the water to dry on paint while your working the wheels.

Also it may be a good idea to put some sort of protection on the wheels to make life much easier going forward, just like you would do to your paintwork.

If I was in your position I would talk to the Lexus dealership and see what they would do for you. I know here in cali they use third parties to have the wheels refinished... They have some type of wheel warranty where they would respray it for you anytime you curb or damage them. Maybe they may cover you since your cpo or you may pay out of pocket.

Last edited by k20trick; 07-30-17 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-30-17, 11:54 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

since they are black chrome and black spots are showing through must be damage to the silver coating it's causing the black to show through does that affect the structural integrity of the wheel in anyway ?
Old 07-30-17, 09:20 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
since they are black chrome and black spots are showing through must be damage to the silver coating it's causing the black to show through does that affect the structural integrity of the wheel in anyway ?
No way would this staining of the finish affect the structural integrity, it's purely cosmetic. Wheels would take a lot more abuse than that before becoming a danger. It looks like harsh chemical was used and dried and/or wheel was cleaned improperly while still hot.

I would ask Lexus on your next visit how much it would cost to re-coat the finish, I know they also offer warranties. My friend actually has the same wheel and he has gotten his recoated multiple times.

Last edited by k20trick; 07-30-17 at 09:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Max707 (07-31-17)
Old 08-01-17, 10:01 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Would this be covered under the four year bumper-to-bumper Lexus warranty I mean Would Lexus fix these wheels under that warranty ?
Old 08-02-17, 09:47 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Will it be more durable if when refinished I just had them do all the wheels in black?
Old 08-02-17, 09:58 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Will it be more durable if when refinished I just had them do all the wheels in black?
I wouldn't consider it a durability issue. It's a result of ignorance. If you clean the wheel when its hot with an acidic wheel cleaner and let the cleaner dry, then you'll stain your new black finish too. Refinish the wheels, then follow the tips K20trick posted above.
Old 08-02-17, 11:24 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Would this be covered under the four year bumper-to-bumper Lexus warranty I mean Would Lexus fix these wheels under that warranty ?
I doubt it as it is a result of poor care, not a manufacturer defect of some sort. IMO it'd be like scratching your car and claiming the paint was defective.

On the other hand, it never hurts to ask. Some dealers are more willing to help than others with these sorts of "issues".
Old 08-22-17, 04:05 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

GSM at my Lexus is having my wheels refinished. I'll post pic's after corrected.
Attached Thumbnails Black cheetah like spots on the stock rims of 2014 IS250 F SPORT-image.jpeg  

Last edited by Max707; 08-22-17 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-23-17, 04:43 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Dealer just had my wheels refinished they all look like they're brand new it was free but if I would've had to pay it would've been $125 a wheel it's worth it to have new wheels.

Quick Reply: Black cheetah like spots on the stock rims of 2014 IS250 F SPORT