LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

A/V Upgrade for Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-16, 02:56 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts
Default A/V Upgrade for Lexus

Finally there seems to be a wealth of products designed to update the 2007+ lexus cars an trucks... thank android. the onset of android auto has spearhead a ton of new products. Be it an android auto interface or a stand alone piece such as the new V-line device from Grom audio.. but suffice it to say the future is here now!!! (Apple guys keep the faith one day there may be something "i" that will work). But for now it seems android is leading the way...

The following users liked this post:
steedls400 (11-20-17)
Old 08-24-16, 06:51 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I'm in Canada (and nowhere near 50 miles from Cali), so I can't be a Beta Tester. However, I'd love to be a Beta Tester on this one. If it works as advertised, I'll be all over this thing. Hopefully, the unit will be available sooner rather than later.
Old 08-24-16, 07:04 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I'm in Canada (and nowhere near 50 miles from Cali), so I can't be a Beta Tester. However, I'd love to be a Beta Tester on this one. If it works as advertised, I'll be all over this thing. Hopefully, the unit will be available sooner rather than later.
The video does not explain what their product is. Is it a hardware mod to the AV system? Doesn't your Vaistech DVD bypass already allow you to mirror your smartphone?
Old 08-24-16, 07:15 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
The video does not explain what their product is. Is it a hardware mod to the AV system? Doesn't your Vaistech DVD bypass already allow you to mirror your smartphone?
It appears to be a similar product as the Vaistech Ivic. If so, it will integrate between your head unit and your Nav screen and allow you to mirror your phone, etc. The bypass your referring to is just a module that allows you to play DVD's through your screen WHILE in motion as well as use your navigation and anything else on your screen. It bypasses the Nanny.

Shibumi: Do you have a link to anything else that's available? Especially something that is available now?
Old 08-24-16, 08:51 AM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Can you play movies that are stored on your phone or Kodi app by using just the lexus screen?
Old 08-24-16, 03:37 PM
JiffyPop
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This isn't a device to mirror your phone screen. It's actually it's own separate Android device. It has a quad core a7 processor and you would essentially treat it like a tablet. You would either need a hot spot, Bluetooth tether from your phone, or a separate data plan from whatbi understand. I'm sure more info will be released shortly
Old 08-25-16, 03:41 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Correct (JiffyPop)this is in effect a android Tv box (for your car) turning your oem screen into its touchscreen control. they claim ANY android app can be downloaded so yes I'd say Kodi or ******* shouldn't be a problem.. my hope would be that instead of Waze i could simply install google maps (as they offer more updates an real-time traffic updates) movies would be a plus (for car shows) but i have stopped watching videos while driving. As more drivers are busy on their smartphones an not paying attention to the road.. So now i spend my time focusing on them avoiding the eventual accidents. I'd love to see this have expandability for a large micro sd card port or an add on hard drive. i have android auto in my FJ cruiser and it gets me important info while driving so i can keep my eyes on the lemming updating their Fb,Ig or Twitter while on the rd.. i see this as a powerful tool and a great look towards the future of the aftermarket to oem interface.. as they will only get better faster an smaller.

I'm in contact with Grom (expected shipping is the end of Sept) but I'd say mid to end of Oct.. But logic says it'll probably be 1st quarter next year.

figure on a dedicated wifi hotspot rather than a tether to your phone as there will undoubtedly be a lag.. if you're like me an need info in a hurry.. a hotspot makes more sense...

Last edited by Shibumi1; 08-25-16 at 03:45 AM.
Old 08-26-16, 06:32 AM
Arvid
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Will this unit also work in European models ??..... I know that the Vaistech MediaLinQ Plus I now have in my car is different from the US version ....??
If so...I really do want one :-) ...and ready to Beta test it :-) .... have plans to get a new Android phone and has also a 5Gb monthly subscription for my Huawei 4G mobile router that I use in the car....

Last edited by Arvid; 08-26-16 at 06:47 AM. Reason: mor info ....
Old 08-26-16, 07:24 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

As an iPhone user, I'd be interested when they make one to work with the apple products. I still don't know why I'd want to put Kodi in my car. Kodi is great and I love using it at home, but I'd question the the buffering issues. Am I missing something?
Old 08-26-16, 07:54 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by R Z
As an iPhone user, I'd be interested when they make one to work with the apple products. I still don't know why I'd want to put Kodi in my car. Kodi is great and I love using it at home, but I'd question the the buffering issues. Am I missing something?
I am also very interested in a product that will mirror an iPhone and have Nav bypass to play DVDs. It looks like Beatsonic has just such a product that was discussed in the following thread. Especially, check posts 8, 11, 24, 29-31.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...avigation.html
Old 08-26-16, 12:00 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Did they give you any idea what the pricing will be?

Old 08-26-16, 01:03 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DriftGirl
Did they give you any idea what the pricing will be?
$699 retail. All the details available on their website.
http://gromaudio.com/vline/beta/index.html
They are recruiting beta testers in CA.
Old 08-26-16, 04:18 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks!!

Im just getting used to my VaisTech ivic unit but this Looks really nice...

ill wait for the feedback
Old 08-27-16, 03:06 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

remember guys & gals this is not a screen mirroring device... it is a stand alone piece.. but it will need a wifi connection to work... just as newer cars are web enabled so will your older lexus (remembering that some newer cars already come with their own wifi hotspot built in)apple car play an android auto require a phone be physically plugged in to func.. this does not require any phone at all so long as it has a wifi connection. but i assume u will also need a Google play store account to download new apps (or i suppose u could just download directly from the sites) i find play store to be safer.. imho
Old 08-27-16, 03:13 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

for everyone waiting on an apple based unit... all i can say is good luck.. Kenwood was held back more than 7 months waiting on approval from apple to release their 2016 line of car play radios... (so imagine if the rest of the world released in jan/feb an kenwood didnt ship until late july early aug only because apple said no) then any smaller companies dont have a snowballs chance in hell if the 2nd largest aftermarket radio manufacturer had to wait 2/3 of a yr.. maybe by 2020..but by then we'll be on to newer an better....

Quick Reply: A/V Upgrade for Lexus