LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

'95 LS400 - The Wire Edition

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-16, 08:01 AM
Nova95LS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 LS400 - The Wire Edition

Just purchased this rat trap 1995 LS 400 from a neighborhood in Baltimore that appeared to be the set of The Wire, to eventually become my Sunday driver. $2300, higher than valued but he said he just swapped the front bags for coils, with 160K on the odometer. This is my first step to broadening my mechanical knowledge from guns to cars and guns so basically I'm going into this with NO knowledge other than general mechanical know-how, that from some experienced friends and you gentlemen here. Basically the point of this post is to reach out to the community and prepare you for all the stupid questions I will have while attempting to resurrect this heap. Mechanically she seems pretty sound, just needs transmission service and some already on their way brakes. The battle here will be with the WRECKED interior. I'm talking all of the leather is shot, doors, armrests, seats, EVERYTHING. So HERE'S MY PROBLEM: I have a divine adoration for taking something old and shiesty and giving it new life, and with this car bundled with my ignorance on the topic that's a recipe for a financial disaster. So long winded story short, I'm a dope in this world and I'm hoping for some help from those who already dominate this passion. -Will

Last edited by Nova95LS; 08-23-16 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Added price and mileage
Old 08-23-16, 08:47 AM
Stereotype
Driver School Candidate

Welcome to the forum. Looks like a good find. You have come to the right place, as almost all information about these cars are on this forum. Utilize the "sticky" threads especially the FAQ one. Also the search engine comes especially helpful when looking for specific information. Enjoy your new car and welcome to the Lexus family!
Old 08-23-16, 08:56 AM
Nova95LS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stereotype
Welcome to the forum. Looks like a good find. You have come to the right place, as almost all information about these cars are on this forum. Utilize the "sticky" threads especially the FAQ one. Also the search engine comes especially helpful when looking for specific information. Enjoy your new car and welcome to the Lexus family!
Thanks bud, that's just what I was hoping to hear! I appreciate the search tips so I can avoid trolling people with repeats.
Old 08-23-16, 02:24 PM
96UCF20
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your purchase! I also have a problem with taking old cars and breathing new life into them!
Old 08-23-16, 03:15 PM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks good on the outside but an interior being 100% shot is probably the ONLY thing I wouldn't mess with lol. When I bought my '98 for a similar price the interior was probably the best part about it, and I'm still several grand deep in maint/repairs getting what at the time appeared and drove fine back to 100% -- and I still need to do the timing belt and valve covers. I'm estimating I'll be an easy $6.5k deep all-in (including purchase price, parts and self-labor) by the time I'm done. And that's without having to touch the interior or exterior. Good luck with the project man....unless u have good upholstering skills get that wallet good and ready lol and sorry about the debby downer haha

Last edited by djamps; 08-23-16 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-24-16, 06:05 AM
Nova95LS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by djamps
Looks good on the outside but an interior being 100% shot is probably the ONLY thing I wouldn't mess with lol. When I bought my '98 for a similar price the interior was probably the best part about it, and I'm still several grand deep in maint/repairs getting what at the time appeared and drove fine back to 100% -- and I still need to do the timing belt and valve covers. I'm estimating I'll be an easy $6.5k deep all-in (including purchase price, parts and self-labor) by the time I'm done. And that's without having to touch the interior or exterior. Good luck with the project man....unless u have good upholstering skills get that wallet good and ready lol and sorry about the debby downer haha
I went and took a peak at the thing yesterday and it's really not all THAT bad. I used to do upholstery work myself and for anything I can't do myself I have a 70 year old Korean man in my town who can do circles around my work for a fair price. Thanks for the preventative tip on the valve covers.
Old 08-24-16, 09:15 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

With bad interior, the price should be below 1500. Just explain the thousands it takes to fix it. I would not pay more than scrap value for a car with a messed up body or interior, to be truthful I would not want to do a title change on a wreck. I've seen almost pristine cars for what you paid for that, just high miles.
Old 08-24-16, 09:20 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I saw a 99 for around 700 more than you paid for that with almost perfect body and interior, way less than spending time and money fixing a full interior.
Old 08-25-16, 05:54 AM
Nova95LS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
I saw a 99 for around 700 more than you paid for that with almost perfect body and interior, way less than spending time and money fixing a full interior.
Yep, thanks, got it the first time, I got screwed. I bought it to teach myself with so I don't mind putting in the work. Very nice to make your acquaintance as well.