LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Never.....ever buy kyb!!!

Old 08-23-16, 06:13 AM
hlippy4
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Never.....ever buy kyb!!!

strut blew out after 1 day......kyb told me to go to hell and they specifically exclude labor reimbursement!!!!

Spoke to a supervisor who made up every excuse in the world as to why the strut went bad (someone must have damaged it...etc.) and was proud they get around paying labor under their warranty.

1 day...yes 1 day........never use kyb!!!!
Old 08-23-16, 06:20 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Very sad to hear.. unfortunately, this is the risk we take when we try to save money by buying the part separate from the place of labor.

Hasn't happened to me yet..
Old 08-23-16, 06:36 AM
hlippy4
Rookie

Just BS......I'm more pissed about the supervisor who was so proud of himself......"we specifically get around paying for any labor under our warranty.....your problem"
Old 08-23-16, 08:09 AM
ejthomp
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been in that situation before and now the real conundrum appears. What to do next?

Do you get your "free" replacement, install it and cross your fingers?

Do you ask for your money back? But what about the other strut? They aren't going to give you your money back for the other strut!

So do you take it in the shorts and start over with a different brand?

These situations are why I always try to tell myself parts are cheap when compared to cheap parts.
Old 08-23-16, 09:26 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

That sucks. I will say though that almost no part manufacturer will reimburse labor for a retail customer, they'd be out of business in short order.

Usually the only time there's a labor reimbursement is when the shop buys the part and does the install, some distributors and manufacturers will have some sort of arrangement, but the shop usually takes car of everything and gives the customer a warranty.

It is something to think about when you buy parts and have a shop install. Of course, if shops charged a reasonable price for their parts instead of 300-400% markup people wouldn't feel the need to do this.

Out of curiosity, where were the KYB struts made? Which one blew? Front, rear, driver, passenger, etc?
Old 08-23-16, 01:04 PM
Insedanity
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar experience with Stoptech/Centric and will never buy their parts again. Although I wasn't asking for labor and only wanted replacement rotors for clearly defective products.
Old 08-23-16, 01:21 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Thats to bad, but speak for your self, maybe the strurt/s you received was a bad apple out of a bad batch out of a million of other good working kyb struts.I wouldn't name smear the brand as a whole.
Old 08-23-16, 01:39 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by hlippy4
strut blew out after 1 day......kyb told me to go to hell and they specifically exclude labor reimbursement!!!!

Spoke to a supervisor who made up every excuse in the world as to why the strut went bad (someone must have damaged it...etc.) and was proud they get around paying labor under their warranty.

Yea, almost all auto parts I have come in contact with,same policy. Replacement or refund but not one covers labor costs associated with the install. Only place that does that is the mechanic shop or any installer, as their distributor takes care of them.

Anyways, see if you can get a replacement, and see as to why they are refusing the warranty. IMO only MNCs really have a return policy, depending on the MFG for any after sales support is trying to thread a needle....
Old 08-23-16, 03:18 PM
vfr700f2
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had KYB on a bunch of cars and never had a failure.

One time I blew out a set of Konis in a few days. Turns out I left out the bump stops. That was an expensive lesson.

As mentioned, one of the reasons a shop marks up the parts prices is because they have to eat the labor when a part goes bad, unless possibly they have a really strong relationship with their source and/or the source has enough leverage with the manufacturer or distributor to get some labor money back. And don't forget, they probably pay more for the part than we do after careful internet shopping, as they need to get it from a nearby source who they already have credit with, and get it fast, because they have your car apart and you want it back!
Old 08-23-16, 04:58 PM
Arcturus
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

If it helps, I had a buddy put in a set of KYBs on his Nissan. After only a few months they were leaking. He moved across the country so he couldn't get them replaced. Maybe it could have been a bad installation, but how hard is it to put in a pair of shocks? I suspect a POS product.
Old 08-23-16, 05:07 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

Is your demand in wriwriting?

Was the refusal to honor warranty in writing??

If not, compose an e-mail and see what the written response contains.

If necessary, escalate up the chain of command.
Old 08-24-16, 09:40 AM
hlippy4
Rookie

Default Update on kyb response....no help

AND SEEM PROUD OF IT!!!

Called the VP at KYB and was passed to the head of customer relations at KYB......his name is Ricky Torres. He was of no help and in his very BS way (check the warranty) let me know I was stuck paying for the labor (and probably alignment) a second time for a brand new EXCEL G strut with less than 20 miles on it...it lasted 1 whole day!!

I personally will never....EVER.....deal with KYB again! In my humble opinion..............PURE JUNK!

Old 08-24-16, 10:14 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

What's wrong with your 20-miles-old KYB? What symptoms are you having with it? Is it still on your vehicle and you're asking KYB to cover the replacement cost including material and labor?
Old 08-24-16, 10:36 AM
hlippy4
Rookie

Seal blew off after a few miles on a brand new strut......oil everywhere down the strut etc. I did ask for some help with the labor as the product never should have left the factory..I personally don't think that is unreasonable...my mechanic said he never saw anything like that before. The head of customer relations said he's never seen anything like that and very unusual....but I'm SOL!!!
Old 08-24-16, 10:39 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

One quick question I was curious about, does the box say where KYB are made? I have heard they started outsourcing production, just curious. They used to be exclusively Japanese.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Never.....ever buy kyb!!!