LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Should I buy my aunts '08 LS460? 90k mi, $15k cost

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-16, 02:56 PM
shimm57
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy my aunts '08 LS460? 90k mi, $15k cost

Hello all,

Brand new to the forum. Seriously considering buying an '08 LS this week.

It belongs to my aunt, so I can trust that there's been no significant maintenance history. She brought it brand new in 2008 and is willing to sell it to me for trade in value, which I think will be around $15,000. Not 100% sure of what trade in value would be, but blue book val is $15k so I'm assuming trade in value would be roughly that.

My main concern is that it has 90k miles, which I assume means that it's entering the maintenance portion of its life. I've been reading about issues with the car around this point in its life (such as control arms needing to be replaced) and since she hasn't had to do any of that maintenance, I'm worried that I'll be stuck putting money in just for maintenance within the first few years. As experienced LS owners, can you help me out with this decision? Is it a good deal and do you have any idea how much I should expect to spend on maintenance? Anything helps.

Also, I'm in the Houston area, so if any of you are near and have recommendations for reputable Lexus service centers, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!
Old 08-22-16, 03:52 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Probably a decent price, but you'll need a few things done maintenance wise...

And the depends on if you can do it yourself, have an independent do it, or have the dealer do it. You'll most likely need...

Spark plugs-- To do it yourself will cost you around $80 and an hour of your time. An independent will probably charge you around $250-$300. And the dealer will probably charge you around $400-$600.

Control arms-- To do it yourself will run you around $700 and four hours of your time. An independent will cost you around $1,200-$1,500. And the dealer will charge you $3,200-$5,000.

Coolant change-- To do it yourself will cost you $52 and an hour of your time. An independent will charge you around $100-$150. And a dealer will charge you $150-$200.

Transmission service--A drain and fill yourself will cost you $21 bucks and an hour. A Toyota dealer will charge you $150. A Lexus dealer will charge you around $250. I wouldn't trust an independent to do this job. A total fluid exchange may actually be cheaper because although they will be charging you for whatever the tranny takes...maybe 11 quarts...they will only be putting in what they take out, so they may not even go through the fluid level check (some places may charge you $150 - I've been quoted that much before).

Brakes can run you anywhere from $700-$1000...or even more...$450 if you do it yourself. Brake fluid flush $99 at most places.

These are all ball park prices, but I'm not that far off I think.
Old 08-23-16, 01:22 PM
shimm57
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you! Are these things that you would view as imperative upon buying, or just general recommendations? Also, you mentioned that the price is decent at $15k. Is there a point where you would consider it to be a steal or no brainer?
Old 08-23-16, 01:25 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that's a good price. it's fairly trouble free and u get A LOT for the money. the car is plush, large, and powerful.

Old 08-23-16, 01:29 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts

Isn't water pump recommended at 90k? On the models (430, 400) with timing belt, that and the water pump were recommended at 90k (maybe it was belt at 90k and do the pump while you're right there working).

If you know how your aunt takes care of her car (does she regularly get it serviced; where does she take it), know it hasn't been in any sort of semi-major accident, and know WHY she is getting rid of it, I think you are in a spot that most of us would like to be in. A lot of times the anxiety of buying a used car is having no idea why it came up for sale in the first place. Knowing the answers to that from a family member goes a long way. I would buy it - especially if you get it at trade-in price. You could likely drive it for a year and sell it and break even. That's a win-win.
Old 08-23-16, 02:29 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by shimm57
Thank you! Are these things that you would view as imperative upon buying, or just general recommendations? Also, you mentioned that the price is decent at $15k. Is there a point where you would consider it to be a steal or no brainer?
I don't know if I'd call the price a steal, but it's good. Probably a very good price in certain areas.

As for the repairs, they're maintenance items that are due at or around that mileage point. I wouldn't describe them as something that will keep you from driving the car down the street, but rather things that should be replaced pretty soon if you want to properly maintain the vehicle.
Old 08-23-16, 02:31 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Isn't water pump recommended at 90k? On the models (430, 400) with timing belt, that and the water pump were recommended at 90k (maybe it was belt at 90k and do the pump while you're right there working).

If you know how your aunt takes care of her car (does she regularly get it serviced; where does she take it), know it hasn't been in any sort of semi-major accident, and know WHY she is getting rid of it, I think you are in a spot that most of us would like to be in. A lot of times the anxiety of buying a used car is having no idea why it came up for sale in the first place. Knowing the answers to that from a family member goes a long way. I would buy it - especially if you get it at trade-in price. You could likely drive it for a year and sell it and break even. That's a win-win.
I don't think it's part of the 90k mile service, the 400 and 430 both had timing belts that usually would include the replacement of the water pump. With the 460 it's a timing chain and usually you replace the water pump when it leaks because it's much easier to get to.
Old 08-23-16, 04:55 PM
Clean1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$15,000 seems like a fair price, not great, but fair. I just traded my 2008 LS460 one owner, no accidents or paint work, with 75,000 miles on it and got a true $18,000 for it. That is also what Car Max offered me for it.

Mine had fewer miles, the brakes were done at 69,000 miles, new tires at 71,000 miles and the 75,000 mile service was just done two weeks before I traded it. Other than routine maintenance that others mentioned, the only things you might face are the control arm replacements and possibly an air conditioner repair sometime in the future.

If your aunt had it serviced regularly maybe you could talk to her service representative and find out what had been done in the past year or so.
Old 08-23-16, 05:55 PM
droclex
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sure you'll enjoy the vehicle - be sure to take it out for a good, long test drive - and the price is reasonable, as others have mentioned. But if I were in your shoes I would take a few important steps before committing to buy: 1) get the car inspected (just in case) 2) carefully review all of its service history 3) based upon that inspection, calculate the cost of essential maintenance items, i.e control arms, brakes, rotors, tires, spark plugs, etc.. After doing the math and factoring in how much you like the ride, you should be able to arrive at a clear decision. Either way, best of luck to you. I really feel that this is a special vehicle and worth every penny, even if maintenance costs can be a bit higher than average. Love the presence it has and cabin comfort, imho, is second to none. Power is just right and it has that stately elegance..
Old 08-24-16, 01:53 PM
vfr700f2
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

According to NADAguides.com, average trade is $15025, but there's a $1900 add for the lower miles and a bit for nav, which I assume you have. There's another add for Mark Levinson audio, which I will assume you don't have. So $17325 total. Retail is $22275. There's a further add for nicer-than-average condition and a deduct for worse than average.

Dealers aren't obligated to use NADA, of course. They probably don't use KBB. They may also use Mannheim or other auction results and/or whatever other factors to come up with their own number. They might use a book more as a tool to say "Look, this is what the book says I have to give you", or "Look, this is what the book says I have to sell it for," but they're doing it to their advantage. If you come at them with a book value they don't like, they'll say "Books don't sell cars, I do!"

I used Katy TX zip 77450 'cuz I know that one. Autotrader has 6 comparable listings within 25 miles of that zip, and 5 of them are less than your NADA $22275 retail, including one at a Lexus dealer that has Mark Levinson. Several are in the 18s.

So check out the service history, whether via your aunt's receipts, conversation with her mechanic, or Lexus Owners website. Check out other listings in your area. Get the car looked at so you can plan for work needed (if any) in the near future, and nail down a price with your aunt. Then decide.

Good luck!
Old 08-24-16, 03:03 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Buy the car its a steal. I paid 20k and am thrilled. You will be even happier at 15k. Some times in your life you will pass on a great deal because you overthink it. This one is a no brainer. Take it down.

Last edited by Kennyr44; 08-24-16 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-24-16, 04:06 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
Buy the car its a steal. I paid 20k and am thrilled. You will be even happier at 15k. Some times in your life you will pass on a great deal because you overthink it. This one is a no brainer. Take it down.
I agree. I'd be all over it.
Old 08-25-16, 06:36 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

If the car looks to be in overall good condition and has good service history I would say buy it. I just paid $18k for a 2007 with 93k miles. It wasn't the color I was looking for but when I saw it I fell in love with it. The previous owner kept it meticulous, great service history so I jumped on it. Good luck!
Old 08-25-16, 07:06 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
Agree. $15k for a car of this caliber- especially if you have the opportunity to learn *something* about the way a friend/family member treated the car. Do it, don't look back.
Old 08-25-16, 09:45 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Don't let that deal pass you up.

Quick Reply: Should I buy my aunts '08 LS460? 90k mi, $15k cost