GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Asfir skid plates adaptable to a GX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-16, 12:00 PM
remgitano
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Asfir skid plates adaptable to a GX?

Asfir 4x4 out of Israel makes some beautiful skid plates for a number of vehicles. Unfortunately, none specific to the Lexus GX. They do, however, have a three piece set for the Toyotal Prado which is the foundation for our GX. I emailed Asfir regarding fitment. The lady at Asfir said that they had never attempted fitting the Prado skid plates to a GX so Asfir has no knowledge if the skid plates would fit or not.
The construction is of aluminum and appears quite robust.
Prados are/were available with diesel engines as well as a V6 gas engine apparently available in China but never elsewhere with our gas 4.7 V8 as sold in the USA. My question is does anyone have any experience with installation of the Asfir Prado skid plates on a GX? Seamless installation or a PITA? The three piece kit is $551 on their website plus shipping which to my address is almost $300. When I asked the lady about their return policy she stated they have none.
I am adventurous but laying out almost $1K for something that might not work on my '05 GX is not high on my to do list.
Old 08-14-16, 04:44 PM
NMBruce
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go with RCI metal works, they are in Coloardo.

I think that Dan Kunz has Asfri from when they where in the US
Old 08-14-16, 06:21 PM
remgitano
Driver School Candidate

Thanks NMbruce. I saw the RCI website and given they are in Ft Collins and I'm in Lone Tree (south Denver near the Cabellas, I think I'll go with the RCI kit.
Old 08-15-16, 12:11 PM
NMBruce
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like mine, I have the complete set and fuel tank, they mounted up really nice
Old 08-15-16, 01:10 PM
remgitano
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again for the RCI skid plate suggestion! I spoke with Miranda, Josh, and Brian at RCI this morning. They were extremely helpful so much so I ordered the complete set (engine, trans, transfer case, and fuel tank all in aluminum) as well as the rear diff guard which is only available in steel. Brian had everything ready to go so I drove to Ft. Collins, picked up all the pieces, chatted with them regarding the install, and made the round trip in just under three hours! BTW, Buying all the pieces at once, Josh gave me a nice discount!
I plan to install the pieces this weekend.
Old 08-15-16, 05:07 PM
dankunz
Driver School Candidate

I have a full set of asfir on my gx. Bolt right up. RCI will be next when these tire out. Been in for 6 years

Originally Posted by remgitano
Thanks again for the RCI skid plate suggestion! I spoke with Miranda, Josh, and Brian at RCI this morning. They were extremely helpful so much so I ordered the complete set (engine, trans, transfer case, and fuel tank all in aluminum) as well as the rear diff guard which is only available in steel. Brian had everything ready to go so I drove to Ft. Collins, picked up all the pieces, chatted with them regarding the install, and made the round trip in just under three hours! BTW, Buying all the pieces at once, Josh gave me a nice discount!
I plan to install the pieces this weekend.
Old 01-20-17, 09:41 PM
Saggio
Driver School Candidate

I'd like to bump this thread up. I'm also looking for skid plates and was wondering if there are other manufactures making them yet?
Old 01-21-17, 09:16 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd love to get skid plates on mine just for aesthetics - but can't justify the cost for that purpose

dankunz pic above is amazing
Old 01-21-17, 11:47 AM
remgitano
Driver School Candidate

Default RCI skid plates

I initiated this thread seeking info regarding Astir skid plates for my GS. Astir's response was from their plant in Israel. And, the response was in Hebrew! Fortunately they have an icon for translation to English. As of that correspondence they claimed to have no US distributors nor ability to sell me the desired items.
Plan B: one of the responders recommended RCI out of Fort Collins, CO which is about an hour and fifteen minutes from me. I went to their plant and purchases a complete set of aluminum skid plates for my '05 GX. Fit was good and installation very straight forward. RCI makes a host of products and, had I known before I purchased my OPR side runners, I would have also purchased them from RCI. Good people. BTW, the skid plates are available in steel but I figured my GX is heavy enough already! Good luck with whichever product you choose.
Old 02-27-23, 06:46 AM
GXin937
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone try the newer TRD Pro Fox 4Runner kit? PTR61-89210

I've been agonizing over what to do. I have 19" front x 21" rear, now. 265/65R17 Falken Wildpeaks (no clearance issues. Think the sweet spot is 2" x 1" lift. Looking hard at Bilstein 6112/5160s but don't want to be cheap and do it again. This TRD kit can be had around $2300.

Last edited by GXin937; 02-27-23 at 06:50 AM.