LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2017 or 2018 LS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-16, 10:29 AM
bdon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 or 2018 LS?

Does anyone know if there is going to be a 2017 LS model, or is it going to be skipped for an earlier debut of the revised 2018 LS? If the latter, any idea when it will available in 2017? thx
Old 08-06-16, 05:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I'm sure there will be a mostly unchanged 2017 model.
Old 08-19-16, 09:08 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Its time for a major overhaul on the next generation LS. Sales have been declining drastically on the current LS model. The next generation LS should ignite excitement again like the '07 did and a car that was desired and admired by many. The model that really got my attention. A car that could park itself! Wow, that was amazing even though it wasn't as easy as it looked in the TV commercials. A car that was quiet as a Rolls and a 19 speakers ML audio system considered the best in the world. An eight speed auto transmission that was almost seamless and a full size hybrid with a optional ottoman recliner and video screen. Lexus its time again and I'm waiting.
Old 08-29-16, 11:13 AM
redlight30
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Touching on the redesign - what do folks think that will do to values of the current models? After 7 years and 2 LS's I was thinking on moving back to an RX (please don't shoot me) as the wife wants a convertible so it would be nice to have an SUV still in the fold. Not really knowing when the new design will hit makes me want to move on relatively soon if the values will really get hit hard.
Old 08-29-16, 01:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The values are going down all the time. When the new model comes out they'll go down again.

BTW, I think you would be very disappointed with an RX compared to your LS. I've had several as loaners, you can do a lot better if you want an SUV.
Old 08-29-16, 05:56 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The values are going down all the time. When the new model comes out they'll go down again.

BTW, I think you would be very disappointed with an RX compared to your LS. I've had several as loaners, you can do a lot better if you want an SUV.
Wait the 2016 rx? That truck is so sexy and luxurious.
Old 08-29-16, 06:56 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I have only driven a 2013 RX. I got out of my LS, sat in the RX and was very surprised it was a Lexus. Didn't feel luxurious at all.
Old 08-29-16, 07:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by imrankh24
Wait the 2016 rx? That truck is so sexy and luxurious.
Its a good looking vehicle (its not a truck, its on a Camry chassis), but drive one back to back with an LS. Its nowhere near as well built, solid or substantial feeling, or as refined. Its a much less expensive vehicle and you feel that. If you go say drive an LX, it would be a different story. Even the LX though, while its just as refined as the LS over the road, build and material quality isn't the same in places, the interior has some hard plastic areas where the LS has none, etc.

If a $46,000 RX felt as solid and substantial as an LS wouldn't all us $75,000+ LS owners be a little peeved?

If I were going to spend $60k on a two row SUV I would buy a Summit trim Grand Cherokee. More solid and refined than the RX, much nicer inside, more capable. If you must have a luxury brand I would spend a little more and get a nicely equipped X5, or new Audi Q7. The RX just isn't a vehicle that has ever appealed to me at all. Much more compelling vehicles out there IMHO.
Old 08-30-16, 03:07 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Its a good looking vehicle (its not a truck, its on a Camry chassis), but drive one back to back with an LS. Its nowhere near as well built, solid or substantial feeling, or as refined. Its a much less expensive vehicle and you feel that. If you go say drive an LX, it would be a different story. Even the LX though, while its just as refined as the LS over the road, build and material quality isn't the same in places, the interior has some hard plastic areas where the LS has none, etc.

If a $46,000 RX felt as solid and substantial as an LS wouldn't all us $75,000+ LS owners be a little peeved?

If I were going to spend $60k on a two row SUV I would buy a Summit trim Grand Cherokee. More solid and refined than the RX, much nicer inside, more capable. If you must have a luxury brand I would spend a little more and get a nicely equipped X5, or new Audi Q7. The RX just isn't a vehicle that has ever appealed to me at all. Much more compelling vehicles out there IMHO.
Had a 2016 RX last week for 4 days as a loaner while my LX got repaired. Was not impressed at all with the RX. It didn't even have a sunroof...I honestly didn't know that sunroofs were now an option for a luxury brand. Interior felt somewhat cheap, media interface looked like someone glued an iPad to the dash, engine and shifting felt odd (almost like a continuous valve vehicle like a Maxima). Definitely not my thing. And to your point...impossible to go to that after driving an LS. Someone in my family who has not driven anything other than a Lexus since 1998 recently bought the 2016 Mercedes GLE after comparing it to a 2016 RX. The MB is beautiful and rides great. If I was shopping for an SUV that size, the RX wouldn't even make the short list of what to consider test driving.
Old 08-30-16, 03:13 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bdon
Does anyone know if there is going to be a 2017 LS model, or is it going to be skipped for an earlier debut of the revised 2018 LS? If the latter, any idea when it will available in 2017? thx
Over the weekend I saw the first commercials of specials on the 2016 LS at my local Lexus dealer - which likely means the '17's are coming out soon. To my knowledge the LS has always followed a 6 year *complete* refresh plan (with minor changes every 3 years), shouldn't we really be expecting a complete overhaul in the 2019 model? Although they seem to have abandoned the 3 year refresh given the '16 looks identical to the '15, '14 and '13. I think I have the below info correct:
1990-1994 (original)
1995-1997 (minor cosmetic changes)
1998-2000 (minor change over '95 - '97)
2001-2003 (major facelift)
2004-2006 (minor cosmetic changes)
2007-2009 (major facelift)
2010-2012 (minor cosmetic changes)
2013-2016 (no major changes; similar to the 1990-1994 timeline).

Last edited by jrmckinley; 08-30-16 at 03:35 PM. Reason: made mistake in years, corrected.
Old 08-30-16, 03:23 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I personally do not own a rx but i own a 2016 Es. And the rx is beautiful clearly you guys think otherwise but to be frank with you not every has the money for the LS and LX. Again don't take me in a wrong way this is just how I feel and I am not trying to stir up trouble.
Old 08-30-16, 03:39 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

I personally do not own a rx but i own a 2016 Es. And the rx is beautiful clearly you guys think otherwise but to be frank with you not every has the money for the LS and LX. Again don't take me in a wrong way this is just how I feel and I am not trying to stir up trouble.
I hear you. We all buy cars for different reasons and have different tastes and requirements in what we're looking for. I have never been a fan of the styling of the RX so it's no surprise how harsh I am on the new ones. I was really taken back by the fact there was no sunroof. I know it is a minor point, but my opinion is luxury brands (Lexus, Audi, MB, BMW, Infiniti, etc) should offer certain things standard on all cars...and a sunroof is one of those things IMO. No offense taken by your comments - and I probably should apologize in advance if I offend any RX owners! Again, these are just opinions and not personal attacks on the folks that buy various makes/models.
Old 08-30-16, 03:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My issue is not how it looks. I think it's very good looking in dark colors with the right trim, my issue is with how it's executed, built, how it rides and drives. There's nothing wrong with it, there are just better executed vehicles in that segment in my opinion, and compared to an LS in my experience it's a significant step down in many ways.

You need to realize that this is the LS460 forum, and the poster we are talking with is an LS460 owner, so clearly he can afford an LS, he already has one, and thus our assessment of the RX vs his LS And how he may find that change is applicable. We aren't going into the RX forum and telling people not to buy an RX because it's not as solid, well built or refined a car as the LS...that would be a silly comparison in that situation and it would be out of line as you insinuate.

But, this is the LS460 forum and yeah you're going to have people in here who own and prefer LS's to other Lexus models. If you want to meet fans of other models, check out their forums.
Old 08-30-16, 03:57 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

once you go LS you cant go back. I know I cant. indeed it is now confirmed there will be another LS460 for 2017, just a few slight cosmetic touches different, plus there will be two special edition packages. I know we are all dying to wrap our hands around the wheel of a new LS, its a long time coming, but historically, my predictions are right. the Ls460 is following the same ten year cycle the Ls400 did. with a major change in 2013 halfway through the nameplate. although the 2016 and 17 Ls460 is a drop dead beautiful car and pretty much impossible to beat in its class, its wore out its welcome and we are all looking forward to the next one. btw the Ls600hl was axed this year.

what im really waiting for is the Ls500 to come out, and the Ls460 will be ten years old at that point that prices on early Ls460s will take an absolute nosedive (hope), then ill finally be able to get that 2007 executive package car ive always wanted lol!

heres the real question though.. the Ls400 lasted ten years and the 460 lasted ten years, yet the Ls430 only got 5.

think the Ls500 will share a similar fate? guess we wont know till 2023.........
Old 08-30-16, 04:48 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

When, or if, there is a redesigned LS, I'm not so sure the current design will lose any more value than normal depreciation.

Maybe I should post the question in the LS430 forum, what was their experience when the 2007 model debuted?

Last edited by Nospinzone; 08-30-16 at 07:57 PM. Reason: grammar

Quick Reply: 2017 or 2018 LS?