GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

245/45/18 tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-16, 12:21 AM
Nasrul3698
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 245/45/18 tires

My GS came stock with squared tire set up. Stock size is 235/45/18 all around. Was wondering, what if i changed it to 245/45/18? Will it improve the car's ability in any way? Thanks in advance for replying
Old 07-30-16, 08:01 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

I cannot imagine that there would be any noticeable difference. The overall tire diameter will change, but only by 9mm. This means your speedometer will be inaccurate...but by less than 1 mph.

The larger tire will be 10mm wider, so I wouldn't think that would cause any noticeable improvement. If it DOES seem like the larger tire is "better", that's probably due to it being new (assuming your existing tires have a fair amount of wear on them).

Here's a cool website that will let you compare tire sizes:
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc...5r18-245-45r18
Old 07-30-16, 11:31 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,993 Likes on 1,416 Posts

I'm running Michelin Premier All Season 245/45R18 100V - 640AAV (60,000 Mile, 6-Year Limited Warranty). Very pleased...
Old 07-30-16, 11:51 AM
Nasrul3698
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave
I cannot imagine that there would be any noticeable difference. The overall tire diameter will change, but only by 9mm. This means your speedometer will be inaccurate...but by less than 1 mph.

The larger tire will be 10mm wider, so I wouldn't think that would cause any noticeable improvement. If it DOES seem like the larger tire is "better", that's probably due to it being new (assuming your existing tires have a fair amount of wear on them).

Here's a cool website that will let you compare tire sizes:
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc...5r18-245-45r18
I might as well change it to 245/45/18 the next time i change my tires then. Thanks man

Originally Posted by bclexus
I'm running Michelin Premier All Season 245/45R18 100V - 640AAV (60,000 Mile, 6-Year Limited Warranty). Very pleased...
Cant wait for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s to come to Malaysia...
Old 10-09-17, 01:36 PM
GS350L
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

BCLEXUS-
I'm about to get the Premier A/S tires you have. Can you give me a quick update on your time with them? Still a good call? Did the XL rating matter? Thanks.
Old 10-09-17, 04:25 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

(Post dated 7-30-2016)
Originally Posted by GS350L
BCLEXUS-
I'm about to get the Premier A/S tires you have. Can you give me a quick update on your time with them? Still a good call? Did the XL rating matter? Thanks.
I have about 12k miles on them now, and I've been pleased with the tires except for one thing - they will not last anywhere near the 60,000 miles they are warranted for. They are wearing evenly across the tread on all four tires. The tires are very quiet and provide excellent traction for an all season touring tire, but (at least here in the Dallas area) they will fall way short on the 60,000 miles they are expected to provide. With how they have worn so quickly thus far in the first 12k miles of use I'll be lucky to get 25k miles out of them, which is only about 40% of the warranted mileage that consumers expect.

The last time I had them rotated at Discount Tire (just recently with ~11k miles on them) the tires were already down to 5/32" - with only ~2/32" or 3/32" to go before they need to be replaced. The tires started out new at only 8.5/32", which is about 2/32" less than most new tires. In my feedback to Discount Tire I reported that I was very pleased with the service I received, but was not pleased with how quickly the tires were wearing. The next day I received a phone call from the manager at Discount Tire and he told me that at anytime (now or anytime later) I wanted to replace the tires with any other tire that he would take care of the rebate - that I did not have to wait until the tread got down to 3/32".

Anyway, I told the store manager that I wanted to try the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus in 245/45R18 100V XL BSW - 700-A-A (Part# 2337600) with Unlimited Time 70,000 Mile Treadwear Warranty. He told me that if I changed them that day I would only have to pay about $100 out-the-door for the Pirelli tires with new stems, mounting, Road Force Balancing and taxes. I told him I'd take him up on it in a few months, which of course will cost me a bit more when I get it done because I'll have put more mileage on the tires so the rebate will be a little less. There's no rush to change them because I don't drive the car very many miles, so I'll probably have the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires installed sometime after the first of the year. Plus, they offer an excellent ride and are so quiet, and perfectly balanced and smooth well over 100 mph that I really hate to give them up ... but as noted, they won't last...

Since you asked, in my first-hand experience, I would suggest that you not go with the Michelin Premier tires and instead I'd recommend that you consider going with what I'm ultimately going to go with (replacing the Michelin Premier A/S) - the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus in 245/45R18 100V XL BSW - 700-A-A (Part# 2337600) with Unlimited Time 70,000 Mile Treadwear Warranty. For your information, Pirelli also has the exact same size as the OE tires, which is the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus in 235/45R18 94V XL BSW - 700-A-A (Part# 2339200) with the same Unlimited Time 70,000 Mile Treadwear Warranty. So, if you want to stay with the OE size or go up one size the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus has both.

Hope this helps you!

Best regards...

Last edited by bclexus; 10-09-17 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-09-17, 05:07 PM
GS350L
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a very informative and helpful update. I haven't looked into those tires, but will now for sure. I've had good performance and mileage from other Michelin tires so staying with them was my plan, but I don't want to deal with the wear issue you're reporting. I know I can still get the Primacy MXM4's so those are an option too. They seem to have gotten good reviews from alot of people here. I keep hearing the MXM4's are are end of life, but don't see signs of that on Michelin's site or through suppliers so not sure what to think about that. https://www.michelinman.com/tire/michelin/primacy-mxm4

Thanks again!
Old 10-09-17, 06:03 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS350L
That's a very informative and helpful update. I haven't looked into those tires, but will now for sure. I've had good performance and mileage from other Michelin tires so staying with them was my plan, but I don't want to deal with the wear issue you're reporting. I know I can still get the Primacy MXM4's so those are an option too. They seem to have gotten good reviews from alot of people here. I keep hearing the MXM4's are are end of life, but don't see signs of that on Michelin's site or through suppliers so not sure what to think about that. https://www.michelinman.com/tire/michelin/primacy-mxm4

Thanks again!
I too have gotten excellent results from various Michelin tires over the years. I'm guessing the Premier tire may be a one-off model that may not live up to their high quality standards - at least in terms of tire wear. That said, years ago I did not have a good experience with a set of top-rated Pirelli tires - very quick to wear ... just like the Michelin Premier tires I have now. So, I'll be testing Pirelli tires again soon. I've heard nothing but good things about the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires, and the reviews are excellent, so I feel good about my upcoming choice.
Old 10-19-17, 05:15 AM
itzlikedat
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I too have gotten excellent results from various Michelin tires over the years. I'm guessing the Premier tire may be a one-off model that may not live up to their high quality standards - at least in terms of tire wear. That said, years ago I did not have a good experience with a set of top-rated Pirelli tires - very quick to wear ... just like the Michelin Premier tires I have now. So, I'll be testing Pirelli tires again soon. I've heard nothing but good things about the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires, and the reviews are excellent, so I feel good about my upcoming choice.
Noob question. Will my 2014 GS 350 premium fit these tires? These are the one : https://simpletire.com/pirelli-245-45r18-2337600-tires ?

Last edited by itzlikedat; 10-19-17 at 05:18 AM.
Old 10-19-17, 10:19 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by itzlikedat
Noob question. Will my 2014 GS 350 premium fit these tires? These are the one : https://simpletire.com/pirelli-245-45r18-2337600-tires ?
Yes, if you have 18" wheels.

245/45R18 is what I'm running now in the Michelin Premier. Or, you can choose the Lexus OE size tire, which is 235/45R18. When I replace the Michelin tires I have now I'll be going with the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus in the [same] slight oversize tire size of 245/45R18.
Old 10-28-17, 08:59 AM
itzlikedat
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, I just bought them at Simpletires with no tax. Cant wait to put these new shoes on my babe
Old 10-28-17, 09:11 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by itzlikedat
Thanks, I just bought them at Simpletires with no tax. Cant wait to put these new shoes on my babe
I had the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires in 245/45R18 100V installed yesterday. I guess we both will see how these Pirelli performance all-season luxury touring tires work out for us.

Last edited by bclexus; 10-29-17 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-28-17, 12:09 PM
turbo1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So is there a rule of thumb with AWD models with front/rear tire size?
Also what tire size are people normally running with larger rim size and AWD?
Old 10-29-17, 06:37 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Hmmm bigger and heavier... even worse acceleration and mpg...

i would keep the stock size
Old 10-29-17, 06:42 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
Hmmm bigger and heavier... even worse acceleration and mpg...

i would keep the stock size
That's only a factor if you track the car or take it to the drag strip, neither of which is commonplace for a Lexus GS 350.

Quick Reply: 245/45/18 tires