IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Adjusting Penske coilovers without losing your sanity

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-16, 05:41 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Adjusting Penske coilovers without losing your sanity

When I first installed these, it seemed like making compression adjustments would be pretty simple.. After all, the adjuster is within reach, even with the wheel on & car sitting on the ground.. Well, it didn't take long to realize it can be quite a PITA to do with the traditional 5/32 hex key that comes with them. This is mainly because the hex key is a snug fit in the adjuster, so unless you've got the angle perfect, it's very difficult to get in there.. The fact that you can't actually see it makes it even worse.. Basically, you're working by feel only. That also makes it very difficult to keep the hex key correctly aligned with the adjuster when you're attempting turn it & count clicks.. I got so frustrated last time, I swore I'd just leave them as-is forever.

I bought this little 1/4 drive 5/32 ball end hex bit socket the other day.. When coupled with a finger ratchet, it makes a huge difference.. Once I figured out the best angle of approach, I was able to adjust by any number of clicks within seconds, all while the car was sitting flat on the garage floor.

-Mike

Old 07-29-16, 06:48 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

So, did you make the ride better or worse?

Was this the front or the rears?

My previous Koni and Tokico adjustables on other cars had adapters that could be routed through the trunk and adjusted easily.

If there's ever a VA/MD meet, I want a ride in your car with the Penskes!
Old 07-29-16, 08:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

patent it and sell it !! Nice job
Old 07-30-16, 08:45 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Jz39
So, did you make the ride better or worse?

Was this the front or the rears?

My previous Koni and Tokico adjustables on other cars had adapters that could be routed through the trunk and adjusted easily.

If there's ever a VA/MD meet, I want a ride in your car with the Penskes!
Softening compression and rebound a bit helps with the comfort level on the street.... Don't get me wrong... Given the tremendous handling improvements they provide on the track, these coilovers are very livable on the street.. My goal is to maximize the comfort level as much as possible for the street, while being able to easily tighten it up for the track AND make quick adjustments as needed based on the circuit.

This is for both front and rear. Using a traditional hex key, the fronts are a bit easier to adjust, but still quite a hassle.. The rears are a complete PITA unless the car is lifted up in the air. For those not familiar with it, this pic shows the location of the front compression adjustment. My new set-up with the ball end hex socket is just the ticket, IMO

Old 07-30-16, 11:25 AM
Meanstreak
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the same hex bit without the finger ratchet for this very purpose. It works but I'm sure the finger ratchet makes it even easier to hold and adjust. Thanks for posting!
Old 07-30-16, 12:34 PM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I only touched my rebound, took it back a full turn and it's comfy for daily driving. The pre-set from RR racing was too stiff for me for daily driving.
Old 07-30-16, 02:11 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

This is my main concern with coils . All of a sudden I have to become the engineer and figure this all out . I would induce a problem then counter it and it would be back and fourth and all the while when I drive a stock car it actually felt better at the limit . I guess I'm just not patient enough. My car handles pretty neutral right now as long as the tires are in good shape . if she understeers I just apply more breaks and trail break . Gives me the rotation I need and allows me to load up the front tires
Old 07-30-16, 02:30 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally posted by I8ABMR:

"...just apply more breaks and trail break."

When will they come up with a spellcheck for context?

Old 07-30-16, 03:09 PM
redcrxsi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jz39
Penseks adjust on the top also ie trunk or underhood access. However since they are double adjustable compression/rebound independent you can only tune the rebound on top.

I haven't messed with the compression on mine either. Only rebound, still would like to have the elelectric motors to adjust from inside, not that it's a big deal to change but hey I like technology.

Mike what settings are you at for 'street comfort'?
Old 07-30-16, 03:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tas02
Originally posted by I8ABMR:

"...just apply more breaks and trail break."

When will they come up with a spellcheck for context?
Makes sense to me . When you enter a corner and you understeer you want to brake to transfer weight to the front tires as well as to reduce speed . Braking while turning will lighten up the rear of the car reducing rest grip. As the car turns in you get a little rotation as the rear slides slightly . Sorry about spelling . This is the first time I'm using my new iPhone 6S plus . Typing fast
Old 07-31-16, 05:22 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i left mines as is from the recommended settings from rafi...don't drive the car much and waiting on stuff...
Old 07-31-16, 07:40 PM
5280ISF
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Mike, this is very helpful! I just got my new rear tires installed last week. Still need to dial in the Penske's on my car.
With th RR settings, it is quite a bit firmer than the factory shocks. Feels great on the twisty mountain roads though.
Old 08-12-16, 01:25 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

just for reference what is everyone settings on the penske coilover, pretty much how many clicks for rebound and compression. I pretty much left mines with Rafi's setting but might change later in the future and want to test out other settings that people use either for street or track. so if you have a favorite street setting or track setting mention both. thanks for your input!

Last edited by Evil Teo; 08-12-16 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-12-16, 01:28 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

thanks to mikersoft for the heads up on the adjustments...I think I will be good with the hex key as I have access to a lift
Old 04-25-18, 11:07 AM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

As I learned the hard way last night (seized rusted collar set screws), here are three products that will make future adjustments *much* easier for you Penske owners. My installation of some pre-loved units is delayed accordingly until these arrive:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EYTBVWO

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002UEOLO

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B078RZRGY5/

Along with a link to a ball socket similar to the OP's suggestion:
https://smile.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-.../dp/B004QO9FYS

Love me some Triple R products and all they've done for the various Lexus platforms, but stainless hardware or at least a little anti-seize would have been prudent here. To be fair, my Penskes previously spent some time on the Nurburgring, thus also likely some cold German Ge-Freauzen weather and its corresponding road salt. Here's to hoping the PB Blaster does its magic after a few days' soak, as the set screws wouldn't budge after letting them sit soaked for 2 hours last night. I'm also very reluctant to apply heat on something thermally coupled via aluminum to a pricey aluminum shock body.

Last edited by Leander311; 04-25-18 at 11:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Adjusting Penske coilovers without losing your sanity