SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Trailer Hitch on a 2006

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-16, 06:32 AM
landflyer
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trailer Hitch on a 2006

ShawnOk asked for more info on my hitch in a pic I posted elsewhere. Not wanting to throw a hitch in someone else's thread, a new thread.
It's a U-Haul hitch they made for the very first SC430's, UHI25901CH. The basic design works but it takes a minor modification in that the backing plate doesn't fit as Lexus must have altered the welds/seams after 2002 (not sure when but prior to 2006) I had to rotate the plate a bit throwing off the bolting pattern so I flipped the plates so not to have to drill the new holes too close to the old. Warning, do not follow the instructions and drill the holes based on the backing plates (stupid instructions...) use a floor jack and lift the hitch into place to mark the holes.
Now for the bad news, I would not even deem this Class I. In fact it is useless for hauling anything IMHO. It sandwiches floor between the hitch and two plates that are about 5"X8" and is not to any structural member. It's a light weight hitch-haul mount at best. I use it to carry a aluminum Harbor Freight hitch haul converted into a pier fishing cart. I won't even put much ice and only a couple drinks in the coolers when they are on it.
Old 07-28-16, 10:17 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Can't add to the discussion, but had to share this:

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/07/27/v...ats-australia/
Old 07-28-16, 03:28 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Interesting. I will update the Ultimate Hitch Thread

This is a pix from U-Haul -- does this look like your hitch?

Can you describe or post pictures regarding how/exactly where it mounts to the SC?

Old 07-28-16, 05:24 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Thank you for this thread, landflyer. Can you maybe take a photo under the rear of the car, specifically the attachment points please? Do you think this hitch would handle the Uhaul Sport Trailer Lite (the smallest aerodynamic one)?
Old 08-01-16, 07:57 AM
landflyer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Interesting. I will update the Ultimate Hitch Thread

This is a pix from U-Haul -- does this look like your hitch?

Can you describe or post pictures regarding how/exactly where it mounts to the SC?

No, that must be a stock generic hitch photo. I thought I had a pic of the hitch unmounted but can't find it. If you bend the mounting plates of the above hitch 90 degrees it would look kinda close.
Old 08-01-16, 08:02 AM
landflyer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Thank you for this thread, landflyer. Can you maybe take a photo under the rear of the car, specifically the attachment points please? Do you think this hitch would handle the Uhaul Sport Trailer Lite (the smallest aerodynamic one)?

I'll try to get an underneath pic but don't think it'll turn out unless I get it on a lift. I would not pull anything with this hitch as it mounts to the bottom trunk panels. I'll try to take some pics but there are other mods in the way
Old 08-01-16, 08:51 AM
landflyer
Driver School Candidate

This is what it looks like. There are two plates that sit on top that have similar holes drilled but can't be placed "square" so the holes line up. They only fit in the space inside the trunk if they are turned a bit mis-aligning the holes so two holes must be re-drilled. The mount is only attaching to body panels in the trunk floor and not anything structural. That may be why U-Haul did not rework their design for beyond 2002. I added some tar like adhesive to help spread the load across the entire plate but still do not think it would take much to rip those 6 bolts thru that panel.

Last edited by landflyer; 08-01-16 at 09:11 AM. Reason: add info
Old 09-02-16, 08:54 AM
jspringato
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm having my hitch installed now. I found this post when the installer said they couldn't get it lined up.

Do you think it would work with a 1,000 pound trailer with 100 pounds of tongue weight It is rated for 1,500 pound trailer and 150 pounds of tongue weight. Looks like the carriers would put much more load on a hitch than a trailer.
Old 09-02-16, 09:01 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I have installed hitches and there is no reason to have to drill any holes in the car. I have always figured out how to make a special bracket that uses existing factory holes.
Sometimes you have to drill more holes in the hitch or weld something to the hitch bracket. There is always a way to do it with out messing up the originality of the car.
Old 09-02-16, 02:28 PM
jspringato
Driver

The shop wouldn't install it. They said it wouldn't be strong enough and would be unsafe. Worked on it for 3 hours and didn't charge me. It is my regular shop and I have been there a dozen times.
Old 09-05-16, 07:10 AM
landflyer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jspringato
The shop wouldn't install it. They said it wouldn't be strong enough and would be unsafe. Worked on it for 3 hours and didn't charge me. It is my regular shop and I have been there a dozen times.
I can see how a shop wouldn't install it. If I owned a shop, I wouldn't install it either for fear someone would hook a trailer to it. There is now way this hitch will tow anything. I only use mine for a ATV hitch haul (shelf) and only for light items like a small push mower or my pier cart
Old 01-20-17, 01:34 PM
jspringato
Driver

Had a fabricator install a custom made hitch. Here are pics.

​​​​​​
Untitled by jspringator, on Flickr
​​​​​​

It is hard to see if you aren't looking for it. He bolted the front to an existing steel crossmember, and sandwiched a support on sheet metal behind the bumper. Looking forward to giving it a workout!​​​​​​
Old 01-23-17, 08:47 AM
landflyer
Driver School Candidate

Default Looks good!

That actually looks pretty good, Is there some sort of backing plate for the bumper mount?
Old 01-23-17, 10:38 AM
jspringato
Driver

He said he sandwiched steel plates either side of the sheet metal. He really knew what he was doing.

Do you think I would need a transmission cooler to tow a 600 pound teardrop? It is light, but it is quite a bit taller than the car. I guess once the transmission locks in high gear it takes the strain off the transmission, but I don't want to take a chance overheating the ATF.
Old 02-27-17, 05:13 PM
dirkdiggle
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jspringato What did the guy charge you to make and install that hitch? What have you safely towed with it?

Quick Reply: Trailer Hitch on a 2006