IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Cracked Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-16, 09:43 PM
ra123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked Windshield

Warning - If you have a weak heart when it comes to car care, don't read this.

I have a 2016 Lexus IS 350AWD F sport I bought in Nov 2015. It has less than 3300 miles on it. I don't drive a lot, and I baby the car. I had the whole front wrapped with xpel. I took it on the highway for the second time on July 18th and I was going on the QEW in Ontario on my way from Buffalo to Toronto, and some d**k threw something from his window and it hit my car. Whatever the guy threw ripped through the xpel wrap on the bumper, and then ricocheted and hit windshield hard. Now I have a tiny crack on my the windshield. It was dark when I was driving and I couldn't tell if there was damage until the following morning. The guy got away. Now I am left with cracked windshield on a brand new car, and a slightly blemished bumper. The film is ruined on the bumper, and there is a big scrape on the bumper.

My questions for my fellow club members:
1) Does Xpel cover rips under it warranty?

2) I spoke to Geico and they said windshield seals are never the same if replaced, and I am better of repairing the small crack on the windshield. Is this true?
Old 07-27-16, 09:57 PM
woowoo
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Those ****ing hater annoy the **** outta me goddamn! Don't people know we're driving a LEXUS (respectfully) I mean it's pretty affordable if you play your cards right!
Sorry about your car but you have to fix that crack as soon as possible otherwise it'll just get bigger and bigger. And your insurance company is obviously trying to avoid paying for it. Lexus glass go for $1500-1800 without labor and safe lite goes for half but I heard they are not as clear as Lexus , referring to the non- deicer glass
I wish I had gotten the windshield warranty instead of the wheel protection.

Last edited by woowoo; 07-27-16 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-28-16, 06:04 AM
Daniel2311
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had my windshield replaced at the Austin Lexus dealership. It was $1035. I have Allstate and insisted on OEM replacement versus their default which is contracted through Safellite auto glass. Allstate agreed, I paid the total amount and sent them the receipt, they will reimburse me less my deductible.

Parts replaced: glass windshield, qty 2 roof moulding, qty 10 windshield clips

Old 07-28-16, 06:14 AM
woowoo
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel2311
I just had my windshield replaced at the Austin Lexus dealership. It was $1035. I have Allstate and insisted on OEM replacement versus their default which is contracted through Safellite auto glass. Allstate agreed, I paid the total amount and sent them the receipt, they will reimburse me less my deductible.

Parts replaced: glass windshield, qty 2 roof moulding, qty 10 windshield clips
Oh man thanks for correcting me because the first time I check (www.mylparts.com) it was like $1500(only a month after I got a Feb 2015) then I checked this year, it was like $900! I was shocked at how cheap it became so I wasn't sure if I was looking at the right part number. Thank your for clearing that up bro
Old 07-28-16, 07:09 AM
ziggman
Driver School Candidate

Default windshield

Hi
I live in Toronto, was on the 407, some piece of pipe hit my windshield, cracked it. I shopped around and finally decided to go to Apple Autoglass. I was contemplating whether or not I need to replace it with a OEM or after market. I went with aftermarket (Pilkington glass) and am happy with it, no issues. The installer was great, warned me about the original plastic clips and how they might break when taken out, ordered new ones and installed the windshield. total estimated cost $650. But when it came to pay , he told me that the clips came out very clean and did not need them to be replaced and only charged me $500
I am happy with he quality and price.
Old 07-28-16, 10:51 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Probably safer to get OEM. I got aftermarket and I'm hearing more wind noise, not sure could be hearing things.
Old 07-28-16, 05:54 PM
PAPI007
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I had my windshield re-placed with Lexus OEM glass for free with my insurance company with a $0 deductible. The rep also told me that it would not count as a claim as well.
Old 07-29-16, 04:26 AM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced mine last year, State Farm only charged about $12-$15 out of pocket for a Lexus windshield. Btw, the price of a Lexus windshield is listed at around $650, it's the installation that kicks the price up anywhere from 850 to 3400 at a stealership. I had mine installed within 2 hours as well at an independent shop.
Old 07-29-16, 06:12 AM
darkarmy
Rookie

I live in Toronto, I also got a cracked windshield two weeks ago driving down highway 7 when it was 40 degrees outside with the AC blasted inside. I wasn't going very fast but just heard a big crack, looked up and there it was. It grew over 1 ft long within 3 days. I had it replaced at the dealership and the total was about $1000.

Originally Posted by ra123
Warning - If you have a weak heart when it comes to car care, don't read this.

I have a 2016 Lexus IS 350AWD F sport I bought in Nov 2015. It has less than 3300 miles on it. I don't drive a lot, and I baby the car. I had the whole front wrapped with xpel. I took it on the highway for the second time on July 18th and I was going on the QEW in Ontario on my way from Buffalo to Toronto, and some d**k threw something from his window and it hit my car. Whatever the guy threw ripped through the xpel wrap on the bumper, and then ricocheted and hit windshield hard. Now I have a tiny crack on my the windshield. It was dark when I was driving and I couldn't tell if there was damage until the following morning. The guy got away. Now I am left with cracked windshield on a brand new car, and a slightly blemished bumper. The film is ruined on the bumper, and there is a big scrape on the bumper.

My questions for my fellow club members:
1) Does Xpel cover rips under it warranty?

2) I spoke to Geico and they said windshield seals are never the same if replaced, and I am better of repairing the small crack on the windshield. Is this true?