Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Lotus Elise to remain true to its roots

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-16, 10:48 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2020 Lotus Elise to remain true to its roots

New Lotus Elise is coming in 2020; it promises a renewed emphasis on low weight, driver involvement and value for money

A new Lotus Elise will go on sale in 2020, Lotus boss Jean-Marc Gales has indicated. Work on the redesigned two-seat roadsteris believed to have already begun, coinciding with news that Lotus is on course to make a profit for the first time in 20 years in 2017.

Although Gales said only that the car will be “ready in 2020”, he also gave clues as to the design philosophy and engineering make-up of the car. Chief among these is that the car will stay true to its lightweight roots, using the same extruded aluminium chassis technology pioneered on the original Elise S1, which went on sale in 1996, and which underpins all of Lotus’s cars today.

Autocar understands the new car will bear “little to no” relation to the 2010 Elise concept. That car was considerably more powerful and heavier than today’s Elise, as well as being targeted at buyers interested in a considerably higher price point than the current car’s £30,000-£40,000. Instead, the new Elise will remain true to the design and engineering philosophy of today’s car.

“The Elise chassis has often been copied but never equalled,” said Gales, in reference to the current car. “Combine that with the steering feel and you have something truly special. The DNA of that car is its light weight, its steering feel and the balance of power and driveability. At every price point it is sold in, it is the fastest car for the money — and always the most special to drive.”

Key to the new chassis will be an absolute focus on weight reduction. Gales said: “Today, we are still setting benchmarks for lightweight cars, just as Colin Chapman did when he founded the company. It is a philosophy we want to continue, no matter what car we build.”

Gales also highlighted the Elise Cup 250, unveiled at the Geneva motor show this year, as an example of what the company can achieve. He singled out its 921kg kerb weight as something “others try to get close to but never equal” and also said: “The benefits of light weight are enormous, from the speed of the car through to the opportunities to make it handle better.”

A target weight of 900kg is believed to have been set for the new Elise, despite the additional challenges involved in building the car to meet US regulations. Although that is a stark rise over the original S1’s 725kg in particular, the need to hit US crash regulation targets may dictate that while the car will be no longer than the current Elise’s 3.7 metres, it needs to be wider in order to incorporate side airbags and extra crash structures.

That, in turn, presents a challenge to keep cabin entry and egress for the driver and passenger simple. However, Lotus has made great strides in this area with the Evora and engineers are said to be confident they can do the same again. The firm has also greatly reduced the weight of its composite body panels in recent years and, in time, super-lightweight variants of the car are expected to be delivered and hit target weights of below 900kg.

Lotus is currently launching the revamped Evora 400 in the US and Gales has made no secret of the fact that he sees growth in that market as key to driving increased profits at the Norfolk firm. “Our biggest markets today are Japan, Britain, Germany and France — in that order,” said Gales. “But there is no question that the US will be our number one market, with sales of the Evora 400 starting there this summer. It represents a fantastic opportunity.”

The original Elise’s core design has evolved from the iconic Julian Thomson-penned original over the past 20 years, and the new car is expected to follow the trend for more instantly arresting design, while maintaining the car’s familiar shape and design cues.

It is not clear if emissions legislation will push Lotus towards running a power-assisted steering system. However, while talking about Lotus’s DNA, Gales emphasised that the purity of steering feel, for which the firm is famed, will never be compromised. “We have steering that nobody else has matched,” he said. “That is part of our company and we will never do anything that disrupts that. It is a core part of Lotus.”

As now, power is expected to come from a Toyota unit that is reworked by Lotus. Although Gales would not be drawn on the specifics, he offered broad praise of the Japanese firm when probed on the subject. “The Toyota engine isn’t just proven as a great engine for the Elise across a variety of power outputs. It also has tremendous reliability,” he said. “The warranty data is so impressive. We have invested a lot in the Toyota relationship and it is really successful.”

A key part of managing the new Elise’s roll-out will be which power outputs are made available. Autocar expects the current car to be evolved between now and 2020, in terms of power, weight and equipment, but it seems likely that the outputs of the new Elise will closely mirror the 134bhp to 243bhp available today to attract as broad a customer base as possible.

The US market push means it is likely that the car will be offered with a choice of manual and automatic gearboxes, both sourced from Toyota. Evora sales are said to be predominantly auto in the US, and although such a move may be at odds with the Elise’s purer driving credentials, market forces are likely to dictate that buyers can opt for an auto. It is believed that plans to launch a new Elise have been made possible because Lotus is poised to return to profit for the first time in 20 years over the next 12 months.

Sales have been driven by the revamped Evora 400, plus a growing order book for the Elise and Exige after the latest models were unveiled at this year’s Geneva motor show. Demand for the track-focused 3-Eleven is also said to be “very encouraging”, with enough orders placed to take account of all production of that car until next year. As such, Gales expects to record more than 2000 sales from April 2016 to March 2017, with an eventual target of 3000 cars a year by 2020.

“It has been a long time since we have had so many orders in the bank — certainly more than 10 years,” said Gales. “Demand in Europe is strong, while we already have 250 orders for the Evora 400 in the US. Step by step, we are improving our cars and building orders. It hasn’t been easy, but it is clear there is a profitable niche for us.”
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...tus-elise-2020
Old 07-27-16, 11:51 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Damn. They sticking with really really really really old engines. No wonder they can finally turn a profit.
Old 07-27-16, 12:46 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I want Lotus to succeed, but bragging about having 250 USA Evora 400 orders is a joke. Porsche sells more Cayman models every month in the US, not even mentioning the 911 which sells 3-4x the Cayman.

What Lotus really needs globally is a marketing push as well as better attention to customer service. You can't get people to pay premium prices if they don't know the products exist or if the customer service stinks. The Evora 400 threads on this forum have barely 30 posts combined, which Lotus should consider an absolute disgrace, and there are USA buyers who don't even know when they'll get theirs delivered despite UK guys getting deliveries back in April. The latter doesn't surprise me at all, given how hard it was for me to try to get information about the Evora 400 or a test drive, otherwise Lotus might have 251 orders.

Bottom line is that Lotus needs to get people to care about their cars. Right now, as great as the philosophies are that Lotus stands for, people just don't.

And that's a real shame, because it means the only people buying Lotus cars are 1) posers or 2) people willing to give up quite a lot to get a few things they want.

Originally Posted by situman
Damn. They sticking with really really really really old engines. No wonder they can finally turn a profit.
They will always be using someone else's engines regardless, Toyota or otherwise. At least with the Toyota powerplant, it'll probably be reliable.
Old 07-27-16, 03:16 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ Agreed, their marketing and dealer network in the US sucks.

As far as the Elise, I hope they make the cockpit bigger and easier to get in/out of. I'm 5'6"/165lbs, pretty broad shouldered and I feel really cramped in the current Elise, not to mention it has to be the hardest car to get in/out of with those crazy wide door sills. Most of the people interested and that can afford an Elise, males with disposible income over 40, cannot physically fit themselves into the current Elise because they are too tall, too fat, too broad shouldered/muscular, old and not flexible, or a combination there of. Putting an automatic transmission in the car is not going to widen its appeal when over half of your potential customers cannot physically fit/wedge themselves into your car.
Old 07-27-16, 03:33 PM
Hoovey689

Lotus you need some ride and drive events!
Old 07-28-16, 06:57 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gengar

They will always be using someone else's engines regardless, Toyota or otherwise. At least with the Toyota powerplant, it'll probably be reliable.
They will not be taken seriously if they keep trotting out cars with corolla engines in it. At a minimum, see if Lexus is willing to let them use the 2.0T. The 2GR is at least respectable with the supercharger installed offering power and reliability and refinement.
Old 07-28-16, 09:58 AM
gengar

They will not be taken seriously if they keep trotting out cars with corolla engines in it. At a minimum, see if Lexus is willing to let them use the 2.0T. The 2GR is at least respectable with the supercharger installed offering power and reliability and refinement.
You've got to be kidding. I would take the Lotus-spec 2ZZ-GE engine any day over the 2.0t, which is an absolute garbage engine for a driver's car.
Old 07-28-16, 11:47 AM
situman
Pole Position

You've got to be kidding. I would take the Lotus-spec 2ZZ-GE engine any day over the 2.0t, which is an absolute garbage engine for a driver's car.
Would you have the same sentiment if Lexus strap the 2ZZ-GE, even the supercharged Lotus version, on a 2+ ton SUV with AWD and an automatic? We are judging the 2.0t based on the NX and heavy cars like the IS and GS with their transmissions tuned for fuel economy. I'm extremely curious to see what that engine can do in light Lotus body with a proper manual or transmission that doesnt prioritize fuel economy.
Old 07-28-16, 11:59 PM
gengar

Would you have the same sentiment if Lexus strap the 2ZZ-GE, even the supercharged Lotus version, on a 2+ ton SUV with AWD and an automatic? We are judging the 2.0t based on the NX and heavy cars like the IS and GS with their transmissions tuned for fuel economy. I'm extremely curious to see what that engine can do in light Lotus body with a proper manual or transmission that doesnt prioritize fuel economy.
In a Lotus thread talking about Elise powerplants, I'm going to assume we're talking about Lotus Elise engines. And quite frankly, Lexus' 2.0t isn't a driver's engine in any chassis. Low rpm, awful turbo lag - and an exhaust note just as bad, to boot. If I'm getting an Elise, I'm taking the 2ZZ-GE every single time. Lightweight cars don't need the torque of turbos anyway, and so much is given up for that torque. It's the reason Lotus hasn't used a turbo in any of their cars since the 80s, except for the Europa S which was supposed to be more of a mainstream GT and less hardcore than Lotus' other offerings.
Old 07-29-16, 06:48 AM
situman
Pole Position

In a Lotus thread talking about Elise powerplants, I'm going to assume we're talking about Lotus Elise engines. And quite frankly, Lexus' 2.0t isn't a driver's engine in any chassis. Low rpm, awful turbo lag - and an exhaust note just as bad, to boot. If I'm getting an Elise, I'm taking the 2ZZ-GE every single time. Lightweight cars don't need the torque of turbos anyway, and so much is given up for that torque. It's the reason Lotus hasn't used a turbo in any of their cars since the 80s, except for the Europa S which was supposed to be more of a mainstream GT and less hardcore than Lotus' other offerings.
Anyways...they should update their engine lineup from whichever manufacturer for the amount of money they are charging. Why not see if Honda is willing to sell them their 1.5t from the civic. I hear great things about that engine or even the civics base 2L engine. Both will still be efficient and reliable and probably better meet current and future emissions and FE requirements instead of using 20yr old engines.
Old 07-29-16, 12:01 PM
Hoovey689

Anyways...they should update their engine lineup from whichever manufacturer for the amount of money they are charging. Why not see if Honda is willing to sell them their 1.5t from the civic. I hear great things about that engine or even the civics base 2L engine. Both will still be efficient and reliable and probably better meet current and future emissions and FE requirements instead of using 20yr old engines.
If it ain't broke done fix it? The Toyota engines may not have the sex appeal, but they are tried and true. Very reliable, and Toyota themselves are a good company to work with as Lotus has done for years.

To bad Toyota never swallowed Proton and Lotus. We'd probably have an MR2 and Supra already
Old 07-29-16, 02:27 PM
gengar

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
If it ain't broke done fix it? The Toyota engines may not have the sex appeal, but they are tried and true. Very reliable, and Toyota themselves are a good company to work with as Lotus has done for years.

To bad Toyota never swallowed Proton and Lotus. We'd probably have an MR2 and Supra already
Toyota not buying Lotus is definitely one of my biggest regrets. As you said, just imagine the stuff we'd have now. Or even the existing Lotus stuff that would be so much better. Toyota ergonomics, quality, and mass market components (NAV/infotainment systems, etc.) on a Lotus would open the brand to a completely new market of buyers. It's amazing to look at the NAV/infotainment on a $100k Evora 400 and it is literally an Alpine aftermarket unit. Not even rebranded!

And pointedly I'd say the Toyota engines have more appeal anyway. 1.8L naturally aspirated, 190hp, redlining at 8k+ rpms? And newer does not mean better, it's just silly to believe that it does. The Honda 1.5L turbo is still laggy, and the Civic with it is around 200lbs heavier than its NA 2.0 counterpart (I read on the Honda forums that part of the weight increase is needing a bigger CVT due to the increased torque).
Old 07-29-16, 03:19 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

glad they are sticking to their roots but they need to grow the damn company. Am I the only one who is very surprised they are still in business . Its amazing. When was the last time you saw a Lotus off the track ?
Old 07-31-16, 11:11 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is great to see that they are sticking with the same recipe. I just hope by 2020, the GBP will still be in the toilet or in an even worse state. I just realized one thing, if the Toyota S-FR does see the light of day, it will just be a little heavier and have an engine quite similar to the Elise.
Old 07-31-16, 06:19 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

If you want a turbo lightweight, there's the Alfa 4C. On the other side of the pond you can get various Atoms and Radicals with the Ford 2-liter turbo. I'd prefer an Elise with an NA, high revving powerplant to distinguish it from the rest of the market.

Quick Reply: 2020 Lotus Elise to remain true to its roots