GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Do these Reviews / Complaints on Consumer Affairs concern you?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-16, 05:44 AM
tejanp
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Do these Reviews / Complaints on Consumer Affairs concern you?

I know they are mostly for other models but lack customer service and warranty support is very concerning. I wonder if I have made the right decision with buying a 2013 GS. However some of the reviews are very cringe worthy..

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/lexus.html

My daughter bought a used 2009 Lexus RX350 18 months ago from CarMax. Shortly after purchasing the vehicle she received a recall notice from Lexus that dashboard needs to be replaced due to cracking. She took her car to the local Lexus dealer in Tampa last July and was told that dashboards were back ordered and they would notify her when her replacement arrived. Within weeks cracks started to appear in her dash. Foam started popping thru the dash. My daughter is in sales and frequently transports clients. Her clients are senior executives at major corporations. They all commented negatively about the dashboard. She has heard that she should have bought a (substitute Audi to VW) as she has heard them all.
I have a 2004 Lexus IS300 with interior in near mint condition. Years ago I started experiencing a problem with the dashboard. It was sticky and wiping it down stripped away the paint. I contacted Lexus customer service and they scheduled me an appointment with my local dealer (Tri-County Lexus of little falls New Jersey) for an inspection. The dealer took pictures and sent them to corporate. A week later I contacted Lexus customer service and to my surprise they refused to fix the problem. I argued with them and they offered me a $250.00 credit for the inconvenience.
This one is very cringe worthy..

Bought a 2015 GS 350 car. Was over 50k and not fully loaded. The bad interior colors are all black unless you get a white exterior or black exterior. Then you get the option of only a few interior lighter colors then deep black. Second Lexus engineers destroyed the navigation system by taking away touch screen and installing a mouse to click 1 letter or number at a time, 10x slower than the old touch screen. Also their talk in navigation does not work half the time because it's affected by AC or radio noise. It's real garbage, a $150 tom tom is faster and better. They did this to save money. It will be gone next year or so. Also the geniuses at Lexus actually have a **** that pipes in engine noise into the cabin like it's a high powered corvette, ridiculous.

Now for the ride. It's rough because their 18'' rims and little tire contacting road so you feel every little mild bump. Also the rims are dull cheap looking fake silver. Really ugly. The backup camera is fair but no front camera because they raised dashboard height to accommodate junk navigational. Now you can't see past mid hood creating blind spot of front distance of car to an object. Very little contrasting color on door panels or dash just a fake chrome colored clock. And the six stack CD player is gone now also with a basic 1 CD insert and a few speakers average sound. Then to turn on accessories like windows, wipers, radio etc. You have to go through a crazy touch button twice while foot on brake pedal. Yes you can get satellite radio for a fee plus to use through the junk navigational will take 5 minutes to move a mouse for station.

Then they got Lexus Enform built in with your navigational where you can pull car over and play with mouse to make dinner reservation, concerts, etc. It's idiotic just read up on the reviews of Lexus Enform. Use your cell to call a place you want reservations. It is 20x faster. Also the car engine with the dual exhaust is noisy as hell. Your neighbor can hear the motor running 3 doors down. I have a 2002 Lexus so this is how I know where the mistakes are in the new car compared to the 2002 GS 300 model which is so much better designed than the new 2015 junk. Also premium gas only and lousy mileage. I would have looked at other cars but my wife loved the old Lexus so she thought the new one would have the same nice features and smooth ride. No way is this plastic car worth more than $38,000 not 53k.

So what is better on the Lexus 2015 versus 2002? Nothing to be honest. Has a few more useless steering wheel gadgets, that's it. So what do I like about it? Just increased engine power for passing. If you're thinking about buying this model take it on the freeway and some side streets with a few bumps then you'll pass. Car was new when we bought it but had 90 miles on it telling me about 15 people test drove it then passed. I bought it from the liars at Keyes Lexus and they have some real trashy middle eastern hustlers that worked there. It was 5 hours of lies before I regretfully bought from the low class staff. Here's how much profit they make on a 53k MSRP car about 8-9 thousand so now you know what price they'll sell it at.

Also the liar sales manager hustled my wife into an added warranty for 2 extra years only for $2800. Huge rip off. After we bought warranty the sales people said all new Lexus's come with a 7 year engine & trans warranty and 4 yr. 50,000 on the other parts. Before you buy look at Acura, Cadillac, Honda, etc. Also don't buy it if it has a mouse for typing and no touch screen. Last thing the door handles are painted silver but made of PLASTIC. For $53,000 3 stars overall is correct rating. The end!!!
I currently own a 2013 G'S. Initially, customer service was great until I had an issue with what should have been a routine fix. The problem is consistent throughout the lineup with the speaker performance. The door speakers are outperformed by the center channel and satellite speakers. The problem wasn't necessarily the manufacturer defect, but the treatment by the service staff. I'm surprised a class action lawsuit hasn't taken place against Lexus for refusing to honor items covered under warranty or acknowledgement of the problem.

To sum it up, the ten speaker layout in the 2013 Lexus GS 350 has a defect in the system. The voice coil in the door speakers malfunctions causing feedback to the channel. Today, I make my stand and refuse to be insulted by Lexus any more. Pursuit of perfection? Please adopt a new slogan. This is a brand I will never affiliate myself with, and yes never really means never.
I am wondering how Lexus rates so high for quality and service. I have purchased a 2013 Lexus ES 300h fully loaded and have been very disappointed. I respect JD Power’s results and this is why I picked the Lexus ES as it is highly recommend. The Mark Levinson system is the worst I have ever heard as a premium system. The response from Lexus has been terrible or lack of. I have driven luxury vehicles for the past 25 years, and Lexus has been the worst customer service I have ever encountered and cannot understand how Lexus is so highly rated. I am not the only person who feels this way. After my situation, I started to go online and found many other people with the same concern. I think when a company rates other corporations, it should look at websites, forums and related blogs to get sense of customer satisfaction.
[quote]
Old 07-27-16, 06:02 AM
leg3ndary
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This guy sounds like a major douchebag who lives a miserable existence. He should go return his car. Most of his concerns are very superficial with no value..

Originally Posted by leg3ndary
Bought a 2015 GS 350 car. Was over 50k and not fully loaded. The bad interior colors are all black unless you get a white exterior or black exterior. Then you get the option of only a few interior lighter colors then deep black. Second Lexus engineers destroyed the navigation system by taking away touch screen and installing a mouse to click 1 letter or number at a time, 10x slower than the old touch screen. Also their talk in navigation does not work half the time because it's affected by AC or radio noise. It's real garbage, a $150 tom tom is faster and better. They did this to save money. It will be gone next year or so. Also the geniuses at Lexus actually have a **** that pipes in engine noise into the cabin like it's a high powered corvette, ridiculous.

Now for the ride. It's rough because their 18'' rims and little tire contacting road so you feel every little mild bump. Also the rims are dull cheap looking fake silver. Really ugly. The backup camera is fair but no front camera because they raised dashboard height to accommodate junk navigational. Now you can't see past mid hood creating blind spot of front distance of car to an object. Very little contrasting color on door panels or dash just a fake chrome colored clock. And the six stack CD player is gone now also with a basic 1 CD insert and a few speakers average sound. Then to turn on accessories like windows, wipers, radio etc. You have to go through a crazy touch button twice while foot on brake pedal. Yes you can get satellite radio for a fee plus to use through the junk navigational will take 5 minutes to move a mouse for station.

Then they got Lexus Enform built in with your navigational where you can pull car over and play with mouse to make dinner reservation, concerts, etc. It's idiotic just read up on the reviews of Lexus Enform. Use your cell to call a place you want reservations. It is 20x faster. Also the car engine with the dual exhaust is noisy as hell. Your neighbor can hear the motor running 3 doors down. I have a 2002 Lexus so this is how I know where the mistakes are in the new car compared to the 2002 GS 300 model which is so much better designed than the new 2015 junk. Also premium gas only and lousy mileage. I would have looked at other cars but my wife loved the old Lexus so she thought the new one would have the same nice features and smooth ride. No way is this plastic car worth more than $38,000 not 53k.

So what is better on the Lexus 2015 versus 2002? Nothing to be honest. Has a few more useless steering wheel gadgets, that's it. So what do I like about it? Just increased engine power for passing. If you're thinking about buying this model take it on the freeway and some side streets with a few bumps then you'll pass. Car was new when we bought it but had 90 miles on it telling me about 15 people test drove it then passed. I bought it from the liars at Keyes Lexus and they have some real trashy middle eastern hustlers that worked there. It was 5 hours of lies before I regretfully bought from the low class staff. Here's how much profit they make on a 53k MSRP car about 8-9 thousand so now you know what price they'll sell it at.

Also the liar sales manager hustled my wife into an added warranty for 2 extra years only for $2800. Huge rip off. After we bought warranty the sales people said all new Lexus's come with a 7 year engine & trans warranty and 4 yr. 50,000 on the other parts. Before you buy look at Acura, Cadillac, Honda, etc. Also don't buy it if it has a mouse for typing and no touch screen. Last thing the door handles are painted silver but made of PLASTIC. For $53,000 3 stars overall is correct rating. The end!!!
Old 07-27-16, 06:49 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,129 Likes on 838 Posts

There are only two things that really concern me when I read negative reviews with a car company:
1) The defect with the car.
2) The response from the dealership/company.

Lots of times, a lot of the issue has to do with personal expectations. People tend to complain and take the time to do so when things don't go the way they expect. Sometimes we hold the companies and product more accountable than we hold ourselves. Being the most educated consumer and understanding the type of car or any item you're purchasing is important particularly BEFORE you spend money.

It seems like a lot of the "problems" mentioned are more superficial and subjective (speakers aren't up to par, bumpy ride, junk navigation). The only one that was concerning was the 2009 RX with the dashboard issue because of the nature of the defect and the response from the dealership. Everything else seems like negative, subjective opinions.
Old 07-27-16, 07:47 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

These reviewers need a hug.
Old 07-27-16, 09:40 AM
CBRA928
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

seriously! its always the 1% (of morons) who put up comments like that and give the entire company a bad name.... i'm on my 5th Lexus, all driven to 200k and no problems. i'm almost positive those people posting negative reviews could not be satisfied by any car company.
Old 07-27-16, 10:43 AM
13gs350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leg3ndary
This guy sounds like a major douchebag who lives a miserable existence. He should go return his car. Most of his concerns are very superficial with no value..
What's ironic about that review is that the first paragraph can be gleamed from some online review articles. It wouldn't be such a big deal if he didn't buy his car in haste and do some preliminary research. We are fortunate to living in the Internet age where the information is easy to find. Those things did not steer me away from the 4GS. I admit, the mouse thing was a bit clumsy at first. But if you are driving this car every day or every other day, it becomes more intuitive and you don't have to reach across the dash to touch a screen.

As far as the noise complaint? That's a little surprising. This car is very quiet inside and out.
Old 07-27-16, 10:52 AM
mrkwinning
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 13gs350
What's ironic about that review is that the first paragraph can be gleamed from some online review articles. It wouldn't be such a big deal if he didn't buy his car in haste and do some preliminary research. We are fortunate to living in the Internet age where the information is easy to find. Those things did not steer me away from the 4GS. I admit, the mouse thing was a bit clumsy at first. But if you are driving this car every day or every other day, it becomes more intuitive and you don't have to reach across the dash to touch a screen.

As far as the noise complaint? That's a little surprising. This car is very quiet inside and out.
His wife prob bought the 15 GS 350 without him knowing and now she is rolling around in a much better car than his 2002 which is why he is so bitter. Haha
Old 07-27-16, 11:21 AM
leg3ndary
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mrkwinning
His wife prob bought the 15 GS 350 without him knowing and now she is rolling around in a much better car than his 2002 which is why he is so bitter. Haha
This theory makes the most sense. I don't know how anyone can complain after spending 50K on an extremely well built car and still have crap to say about it. Ridiculous.
Old 07-27-16, 11:39 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

He sounds like a person who didn't do his research before spending all that money on a GS.
Old 07-27-16, 03:23 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

.........Also the car engine with the dual exhaust is noisy as hell. Your neighbor can hear the motor running 3 doors down.
See, this is why you don't neglect on your maintenance. All he had to do is top off the oil level for the muffler bearings.
Old 07-27-16, 03:39 PM
mrkwinning
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
See, this is why you don't neglect on your maintenance. All he had to do is top off the oil level for the muffler bearings.
We're all over here trying to make our cars louder. Haha
Old 07-27-16, 06:33 PM
13gs350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrkwinning
Totally, LOL.
Old 07-27-16, 07:01 PM
GSpot
Driver School Candidate

My father has owned 8 Lexus's over the years and I have owned 2. Between the two of us, we have never had 1 problem! NOT EVEN ONE! True story.

Just go to the corvetteforum and you'll see just the opposite. You'll feel a lot better buying a Lexus after going and reading the night mirrors there.
Old 07-28-16, 12:40 AM
2Squared
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

.........Also the car engine with the dual exhaust is noisy as hell. Your neighbor can hear the motor running 3 doors down.
I didn't know motors could play music, I normally listen 3 doors down on my sound system via my usb stick.
Old 07-28-16, 03:20 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Lol these are all funny, I have owned Lexus the longest and BMW and the other car I had all had more maintenance problems than I have had in all of the Lexus vehicles I have owned.

Quick Reply: Do these Reviews / Complaints on Consumer Affairs concern you?