RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Anyone go from IS250 to the RC200T

Old 07-27-16, 03:34 AM
ddvette9
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone go from IS250 to the RC200T

Curious even though heavier if your RC motor feels livelier and more fun that your IS250 motor? The 250 V6 is responsive and smooth but looses steam after the first 2 gears and just doesn't have the torque. It's a quick car around town, wondering how the RC200t will compare to the 250 motor.

Thinking of upgrading to the RC for body lines, coupe aspect, structural rigidity and might save some coin and go for the 200t with fingers crossed it gets a tune.

Hopefully someone went from an IS250 to the turbo?
Old 07-27-16, 04:37 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Why "upgrade" to something that's barely an upgrade in power that msrp 50k? Step up to the big boys v8 467hp rcf. Gas is cheap and will stay cheap, so that's no excuse
Old 07-27-16, 05:07 AM
ddvette9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ssmoked
Why "upgrade" to something that's barely an upgrade in power that msrp 50k? Step up to the big boys v8 467hp rcf. Gas is cheap and will stay cheap, so that's no excuse
Thanks for the meaningless and off topic response. Hopefully someone responds to the original question and doesn't voice their opinion about cheap gas and buying an RCF.
Old 07-27-16, 07:15 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Well previous poster has a point...why "upgrade" to something with similar power. Maybe RCF is too much, but why not the RC350; the price difference isn't too much? RC350 has considerably more power and response than the IS250 and RC200t. The turbo-4 has quite a bit of turbo lag. The 0-60 mph times are a big difference, 5.6 sec in the RC350 (decent) and 7.3 sec in the RC200t (which is just embarrassing). There's also about a 3 mpg difference for city and highway between the cars, but you might end up using more gas in the RC200t trying to wring out the power (depending on your driving style).

I would suggest test driving both at the dealer and see what suits you. I personally would not go for the RC200t. I have driven the IS250 as a loaner car on several occasions and experienced the 200t engine in different models; you might be disappointed in the laggy throttle response.
Old 07-27-16, 07:21 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

If you weren't complaining about "more livelier and fun" "no torque and gutless" after 2nd gear, my off topic response wouldn't been present. So your whole post is pointless

btw if you are concerned about mpg when shopping for a Lexus, maybe you need to downgrade to a Toyota
Old 07-27-16, 07:59 AM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

let me answer, so the 200t engine is a replacement for the 250, not so much an upgrade but just the new replacement engine for models, they're about the same, just the 4 banger has better mpg and hp and torque. so its an upgrade but also meant to stay the same level with the previous 250. I have an rc200t and i love it. Its definitely fast enough for street driving an getting where u need to get going though. If performance is an issue and if your looking for a serious UPGRADE get the v6 dude. but if u were comfortable with the is250 and always loved it, get the 200t engine. save money on gas, thats what i did. i save like 1.7k-2k+ on gas money with the 4 banger.
If you weren't complaining about "more livelier and fun" "no torque and gutless" after 2nd gear, my off topic response wouldn't been present. So your whole post is pointless

btw if you are concerned about mpg when shopping for a Lexus, maybe you need to downgrade to a Toyota
what are you talking about, lexus makes the best hybrid cars in the world.
Old 07-27-16, 08:43 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shadow1118
let me answer, so the 200t engine is a replacement for the 250, not so much an upgrade but just the new replacement engine for models, they're about the same, just the 4 banger has better mpg and hp and torque. so its an upgrade but also meant to stay the same level with the previous 250. I have an rc200t and i love it. Its definitely fast enough for street driving an getting where u need to get going though. If performance is an issue and if your looking for a serious UPGRADE get the v6 dude. but if u were comfortable with the is250 and always loved it, get the 200t engine. save money on gas, thats what i did. i save like 1.7k-2k+ on gas money with the 4 banger.

what are you talking about, lexus makes the best hybrid cars in the world.

how much do you drive saving 1.7-2k on premium gas? I spend about 2.5k total annually on gas

i was referring to the op, if he can't afford the gas maybe he should be looking at cheaper Toyota.

btw, Toyota makes Lexus. So what you mean is Toyota makes the best hybrids in the world
Old 07-27-16, 09:48 AM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

how much do you drive saving 1.7-2k on premium gas? I spend about 2.5k total annually on gas

i was referring to the op, if he can't afford the gas maybe he should be looking at cheaper Toyota.

btw, Toyota makes Lexus. So what you mean is Toyota makes the best hybrids in the world
so far I'm on track to be only spending like $1.2k on gas this year. it gets 35+ mpg.

and duh toyota owns lexus , but your trying to insinuate that toyota makes better hybrids vehicles, uhhh no, lexus makes performance hybrid vehicles,

Last edited by shadow1118; 07-27-16 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-27-16, 10:25 AM
SpeedRcr
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I quite enjoyed this statement.
Old 07-27-16, 10:37 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shadow1118
so far I'm on track to be only spending like $1.2k on gas this year. it gets 35+ mpg.

and duh toyota owns lexus , but your trying to insinuate that toyota makes better hybrids vehicles, uhhh no, lexus makes performance hybrid vehicles,
how many miles do you drive annually? 30k? Gas is cheap in fl

i meant the op should consider a cheaper car if he can't afford the gas. lost in translation
Old 07-27-16, 11:08 AM
ddvette9
Pole Position

Please tell me where in my original post i mentioned gas mileage? I didn't.......For some reason you keep mentioning my "concern about gas mileage" which is completely false. Not to mention I am not sure why you commented when you didn't switch from an IS250 to an RC like i originally asked. Your posts continue to be off topic.

If you went from 250 to rc200, comment. If not, move along and keep post on topic.
Old 07-27-16, 11:31 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

You have horrible comprehension skills. I repeatedly said "if", since that's the most common reason why.

dont get butt hurt now. it's the Internet if you don't like the response, don't post

oh and btw, I did own an 08' is250 FYI and now driving a Rcf. It was gutless and lame. Got rid of it in a year
Old 07-27-16, 01:20 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Guys keep it respectful and on topic.

OP, I had the IS250 and I prefer that V6 over the 2L Turbo I have in the NX. Reasons are better response, engine sound, and V6 smoothness. Fuel economy though is about 10-15% better with the NX but only noticeable in the wallet with lots of mileage. Another upside of the Turbo is the better highway power over the V6 which runs out of steam at higher speeds. If you want to switch to an RC 200t, you won't be disappointed if your main priority is for the love of the style/body and extra structural rigidity over the IS. Good luck in your decision.
Old 07-27-16, 04:33 PM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Made the switch today and like the 200t more than I thought I would, the biggest drawback for me is the rougher idle, it isn't as smooth as the V6. It does seem peppier to me than the IS250 I just got out of though. I will probably have more comparisons once I have had time to get to know the new car.
Old 07-27-16, 09:55 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 667 Likes on 589 Posts

Did you end up test driving it?

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone go from IS250 to the RC200T