SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Nervous Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-16, 02:48 PM
Lraf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nervous Newbie

Hello! I recently was lucky to purchase a 2003 SC430 in gorgeous condition, which I purchased to replace my 2003 Mercedes ML320, which had half the mileage and ten times the problems. But I"m finding it difficult to adjust to the "new" car, particularly after an SUV. I feel nervous driving the SC - feeling every pothole (it does not have the run flats), parking that low front end takes great care - and the steering pulls in ways I"m not used to on corners. Can I just drive this car - in the rain, in the sun, fast or slow - and know that's tough enough to take it?

Some Lexus-lover therapy would be most helpful!
Old 07-26-16, 03:03 PM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You'll find that the SC430 is as close to bullet proof as a car can be. Just enjoy it and give it proper maintenance and it won't let you down.
Old 07-26-16, 03:57 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Lraf
I feel nervous driving the SC - feeling every pothole (it does not have the run flats), parking that low front end takes great care - and the steering pulls in ways I"m not used to on corners. Can I just drive this car - in the rain, in the sun, fast or slow - and know that's tough enough to take it?
Some Lexus-lover therapy would be most helpful!
If you are feeling every pothole, make sure that the tires are not over inflated. (Is the pothole reaction jarring or mushy/bouncy?)

Is the steering only pulling on corners? If so, you should be fine. However, can you be a bit more explicit by how it "pulls" differently than what you are used to? This car is very different than an SUV so you should expect it to drive differently, most likely be more responsive. It also rides much lower than an SUV and that will take a little adjustment on your part. (It is a bit like riding on a skate board after riding high (vertically) in an SUV for a long time. But you get used to it and will love it in short notice.)

This car is made for the road, rain or shine. The situation that tends to be troublesome is snow and ice. Just like any car though, it has parts that will eventually wear out and that will happen faster if it is abused (running over curbs, big potholes, road humps at high speed). But in general, this car is made to last. There are multiple owners on this forum with SC430s over 100k and 200k miles and still going and enjoying their cars.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new acquisition.
Old 07-26-16, 07:15 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Feeling every pothole (it does not have the run flats)
Feeling every pothole as in HARSH or as in BOUNCE AND THROWN ABOUT?

As for the former, what tires are on the car?

As for the latter, how are the shocks?

The SC is known for is luxo ride (once run flats are replaced) so this is unusual.
Old 07-26-16, 08:43 PM
Lraf
Driver School Candidate

Default Nervous Newbie

You guys are amazing - thank you!
The ride is more jarring, like you feel every bump. My tires are Uniroyal 245/40ZR18. It's a great point about the tire inflation - I had one very low tire and so the fellow at the gas station filled all my tires - perhaps he overdid it. I'll be taking it to a Lexus dealer for my first service and will have them check out the shocks - good idea. The car has 110K miles on it, so it's clearly stood the test of some time. Happily, I live in Napa Valley where snow is rare (black ice does happen, though). The pulling is only around corners - and yes, it does feel like I'm likely to overcorrect, so it's probably more responsive than I"m used to. Sounds like I should just drive it, get used to it, count my blessings - and try to avoid really slamming it into potholes or other obstacles if I see them coming.

Does it stick to the road OK in icy conditions, or should I really slow way down?
Old 07-27-16, 07:21 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I've been driving my high-mileage 2002 year-round in the northeast USA for five years.

The SC430 will feel "woobly" and "loose" to you initially coming from almost any other car... but when you get used to it, you'll learn to love it.
Old 07-27-16, 03:51 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Does it stick to the road OK in icy conditions, or should I really slow way down?
No it doesn't do well in icy conditions. But if you are careful, you can make it through. Just don't ever punch it or make quick changes (attempts) to the velocity. Placing the ECT in SNOW will help also.

With regards to the ride, keep in mind the differences between an SUV and the SC430:
  • The SUV has high profile tires and the SC430 has low profile tires, so the SUV has a lot more give in the tires to soften the blows in a rough road.
  • The SUV rides higher and the SC430 rides fairly low, so the SUV shock absorption system has a lot more distance to soften the blows compared to the SC430.
Between those two items, you should expect the SC430 to be rougher than a higher riding vehicle, unless the higher riding vehicle is set up to carry heavy loads or go off-roading.

So yes, just drive it and it will grow on you.
Old 07-28-16, 07:51 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Try not to take the SC430 out in icy conditions unless you have winter tires. In Napa Valley, it would be odd to own winter tires I guess. So on the few days when you know it will be icy, either stay home or use extra caution. I have driven through a snow storm in my SC but it had good winter tires on so I did OK. The one time I had to use all season tires in light snow, my Sc could not make it up a hill and I had to abandon it. Don't take chances with snow or ice. The SC just was not meant for such conditions.
Old 07-29-16, 02:46 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by OBP
So on the few days when you know it will be icy, either stay home or use extra caution.
Or take another car.
Old 08-01-16, 11:06 PM
Lraf
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much for the advice re icy conditions. We do get black ice up in the hills, although rarely. I will make sure to drive something else on such days, and keep this one safely garaged.

I so appreciate all of your advice!