GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Squeak/rattle in tailgate or 3rd row

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-16, 04:58 AM
paui4m
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Squeak/rattle in tailgate or 3rd row

I've tried searching both the forum and a general Google search to little avail on this one....

Has anyone else experienced what I can best describe as a squeak in the rear of the vehicle, seemingly coming from the tailgate?
I tried riding in the rear of the vehicle the other day to further narrow it down, but it wasn't as active leading me to believe it could be coming from the 3rd row seat.
However, it really sounds like it's coming from the tailgate when I am driving.
What I do know is that it is much worse after work when it's 95 degrees.

It happens primarily when the vehicle rocks back and forth, rather than when it is going over rough pavement or bumps.

I've already tried removing the part kit in the door, cable tying the spare time chain, checking to make sure the jack was secure, etc. Most of the usual suspects...

Any thoughts would be much appreciated prior to a dealer visit.
I have a roadtrip coming up and would love to have it resolved before that.
Old 07-28-16, 04:37 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had a TSB done for a rear seat squeak that would not go away (took them 3 tries at lubing the seat connection points which did not work at all). The TSB finally fixed the issue. Pull one side of your rear sear up and leave it that way, then go driving and see if you hear it. If you still hear the squeak then try the other one. If not then you just found your problem. Mine was the driver side rear seat. The TSB was to replace or add a washer to the seat lock down point. Hope that helps.

Last edited by CdeFabio; 07-28-16 at 04:41 AM.
Old 07-28-16, 05:07 AM
paui4m
Rookie

Thanks a ton for the input.
Just last night I put the 2 third row seats up to see if one of them may be the cause. I'll know more when I drive home today in the heat where it seems to be a lot worse.
To be clear, you definitely mean the 3rd row and not the rear seat, right?

I'll see if I can find the TSB, or if you happen to have it on the work order and could send it over, I'd appreciate that too.

Thanks again

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
I just had a TSB done for a rear seat squeak that would not go away (took them 3 tries at lubing the seat connection points which did not work at all). The TSB finally fixed the issue. Pull one side of your rear sear up and leave it that way, then go driving and see if you hear it. If you still hear the squeak then try the other one. If not then you just found your problem. Mine was the driver side rear seat. The TSB was to replace or add a washer to the seat lock down point. Hope that helps.
Old 07-28-16, 08:14 AM
Statman
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

May be unrelated, but realize there is a tool kit and other stuff in the compartments of the rear door. Make sure all of the components are secure.
Old 07-29-16, 04:00 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My issue was the 2nd row of seats but the sound can make it seem to come from the rear. I have never used the 3rd row, they stay down so I have some storage.
Old 07-29-16, 08:27 AM
paui4m
Rookie

OK, thanks again, I did take a quick look at the second row with the seatbacks folded down the other day, but didn't see the lockdown point at first glance.
it's definitely different than the 4R in that the bottom cushion on those fold up first and the lockdown points are right out there.

It did seem a lot better yesterday when I drove home with the 3rd row up, but it was also 15 degrees cooler here yesterday and it's far worse when really hot.

Statman - thanks - yes at one point, I had the toolkit, first aid kit, etc. all out and the creak was still there.

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
My issue was the 2nd row of seats but the sound can make it seem to come from the rear. I have never used the 3rd row, they stay down so I have some storage.
Old 08-16-16, 12:21 PM
markm109
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a squeak coming from the back (2013 model). After some searching it ended up being the jack was not held tight enough by the clamp. The jack is in the back driver side wall compartment. Check in there and see if you can wiggle the jack around. I wrapped the jack with a rag and clamped it back in - problem solved.
The following users liked this post:
DallasDave (06-17-17)
Old 08-16-16, 07:32 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by markm109
I had a squeak coming from the back (2013 model). After some searching it ended up being the jack was not held tight enough by the clamp. The jack is in the back driver side wall compartment. Check in there and see if you can wiggle the jack around. I wrapped the jack with a rag and clamped it back in - problem solved.
You can also slightly extend the jack to lock it into place its its little holding area.
The following users liked this post:
DallasDave (06-17-17)
Old 08-17-16, 05:42 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Maybe this?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...t-rattles.html
Old 08-18-16, 04:42 AM
paui4m
Rookie

Thanks for the suggestions, Guys...

I did check the jack - and actually extended it a bit as mentioned.
I will check the last suggestion around wheel well soon.

It definitely happens more when the vehicle 'flexes' than just going over bumps.

When I recently had the 3rd row up, and specifically the passenger side, it seemed to be virtually non-existent.
I've needed the cargo space a lot the past couple weeks so once that need goes away, I will just leave the 3rd row up a while to confirm.

Thanks again for the input
Old 08-19-16, 10:55 PM
hkhours
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience with squeaky and rattling noises coming from the rear was, the spare tire. There's a chain dangling down there that's causing noises. Hope this helps.

I currently own a 2014 GX 460 Premium.
Old 08-20-16, 06:22 AM
jbc247
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by paui4m

It definitely happens more when the vehicle 'flexes' than just going over bumps.
I have this exact same problem. 2014 GX 460. It usually happens when the vehicle is warm and 'flexes'. Please let us know if you discover a solution.
Old 08-20-16, 07:27 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jbc247
I have this exact same problem. 2014 GX 460. It usually happens when the vehicle is warm and 'flexes'. Please let us know if you discover a solution.
warm and flexes? BOF should not be flexing at all. What is getting warm in the rear besides exhaust? Take it to dealer and have them address problem
Old 04-17-19, 05:41 AM
Nukulus54
Driver School Candidate

Morning All,

Not to resurrect a dead thread, but I'm having the very same problems with my 2014 GX. Squeaks/rattle noise over uneven pavement. Is much more prevalent when warmer temperatures are out (almost dead silent under 40 degrees). I've had the above TSB done (had them do it even though they could not replicate the noise (temperature was in the 40s when they had it) and it unfortunately made no difference, especially as the temperatures were rising the day after I picked it up.

As far as I can tell the jack is secure and has no play in its spot. The spare tire tool kit does seem like it could be moving a bit, and I was thinking of a solution to put in there to hold it in place better. Maybe a couple of furniture moving pads on the back so it can't rattle.

Regarding the seats I'll have to test with the seats all down/up one by one to see if I can't narrow it down. If I can I'll try and WD40 all of the brackets/sliding mechanisms I can reach. I also plan to wipe/clean the seats with leather cleaner/conditioner to see if I can eliminate any leather on leather noise that might be occurring.

As for the chain for the spare tire, does anyone have any suggestions what to do to secure that if that seems like it might be the problem?

Anyone have any other solutions? Did paui4m ever sort his noise out? Because it seems like we're having very similar issues.
Old 04-17-19, 05:54 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 194 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Nukulus54
Morning All,

Not to resurrect a dead thread, but I'm having the very same problems with my 2014 GX. Squeaks/rattle noise over uneven pavement. Is much more prevalent when warmer temperatures are out (almost dead silent under 40 degrees). I've had the above TSB done (had them do it even though they could not replicate the noise (temperature was in the 40s when they had it) and it unfortunately made no difference, especially as the temperatures were rising the day after I picked it up.

As far as I can tell the jack is secure and has no play in its spot. The spare tire tool kit does seem like it could be moving a bit, and I was thinking of a solution to put in there to hold it in place better. Maybe a couple of furniture moving pads on the back so it can't rattle.

Regarding the seats I'll have to test with the seats all down/up one by one to see if I can't narrow it down. If I can I'll try and WD40 all of the brackets/sliding mechanisms I can reach. I also plan to wipe/clean the seats with leather cleaner/conditioner to see if I can eliminate any leather on leather noise that might be occurring.

As for the chain for the spare tire, does anyone have any suggestions what to do to secure that if that seems like it might be the problem?

Anyone have any other solutions? Did paui4m ever sort his noise out? Because it seems like we're having very similar issues.
My rattles came from two locations. My Husky cargo mat. I’ll never buy one of those again... it was supposed to be made for the GX cargo area.

The other area was from the latch in the middle seat. You can access it by folding the middle section down and then you can add a layer of tape to the U shaped latch.

Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Squeak/rattle in tailgate or 3rd row