LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New here need help with my 93, Rough idling, Stalls coming to stops, no power

Old 07-25-16, 06:09 PM
GoldieGold
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here need help with my 93, Rough idling, Stalls coming to stops, no power

Hey everybody! Glad to be apart of the lexus car community! Bought my 93 Ls400 from an auction here in Maryland and not long after my first Fully syn oil change, sparks and wires replacements it began idling roughly and also having issues accelerating. I was advised by someone to replace the idle air control valve and also the throttle position sensor.. now if I'm not mistaken there are two of these sensors? And to my understanding these part can be relatively expensive.. I Love the car and originally it was a gift for my old lady after her Rio broke down but this is our only form of transportation and it's now cutting off and I don't know anybody I can't trust with it. Any help would be much appreciated
Attached Thumbnails New here need help with my 93, Rough idling, Stalls coming to stops, no power-20160717_144251.jpg  

Last edited by GoldieGold; 07-25-16 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-25-16, 06:29 PM
GoldieGold
Driver School Candidate

S/N if there are any good mechanics here in Maryland or anybody with a good reference, ANYTHING helps. Just not crazy about dealerships
Old 07-25-16, 07:35 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

We sure need an option to twist our pictures around.
Anyway check for codes. A tps throttle pos sensor can be checked to rule it out. Need to check for vacuum leaks too.
Old 07-25-16, 07:45 PM
GoldieGold
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
We sure need an option to twist our pictures around.
Anyway check for codes. A tps throttle pos sensor can be checked to rule it out. Need to check for vacuum leaks too.
I have no idea why the picture rotated, figured nobody would care its plain jane... Being that's it's a 93 I was told even an OB1 wouldn't necessarily help pinpoint the problem and that they'd be very hard to come by. Would a vacuum leak leave fluid on the ground? So far none where I park
Old 07-27-16, 03:10 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

To check codes no reader is needed. Vaccum sucks in air. So its not a fluid type of deal. The excess air confuses the engine management system, so it does things to adjust for it. And its going to be most pronounced at idle speeds.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html
Old 07-27-16, 06:18 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

So let me see if I understand... car was running fine. You changed the oil, plugs and wires and now it runs bad?
Don't know if I'd look for something new... possibly the wires and plugs you changed were not done right, or in the process you messed with another important wire/sensor.

Is that what happened.
Old 07-27-16, 08:59 AM
GoldieGold
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dicer
To check codes no reader is needed. Vaccum sucks in air. So its not a fluid type of deal. The excess air confuses the engine management system, so it does things to adjust for it. And its going to be most pronounced at idle speeds.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html
That link was amazing, I really appreciate your insight. I'm tired of talking to people who aren't familiar with the car at all, my trac off light comes on shortly after starting and comes on and off with the check engine light, even flickers as the engine loses power. I can't imagine selling this car so the dealership might be my only option
Old 07-27-16, 09:03 AM
GoldieGold
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Legender
So let me see if I understand... car was running fine. You changed the oil, plugs and wires and now it runs bad?
Don't know if I'd look for something new... possibly the wires and plugs you changed were not done right, or in the process you messed with another important wire/sensor.

Is that what happened.
You could very well be right, there was a wire or 2 left over after the guy was done. He cleaned the tps too, Its barely running now so I'm looking for another mechanic
Old 07-27-16, 01:45 PM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

My bet is the ECU capacitors especially if the check engine light is going on/off or flickering.
Old 07-27-16, 06:41 PM
KJG92
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking something got disconnected during the work you did. One thing I found on this '92 we have is that the connectors are very brittle and vacuum hoses are the same.
Old 07-28-16, 07:29 AM
GoldieGold
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by djamps
My bet is the ECU capacitors especially if the check engine light is going on/off or flickering.
I'm Def taking this into consideration , just gotta find somebody to put hands on the car now.. mechanics here in Maryland are theives.