Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Clear coat and recoating

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-16, 02:43 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Clear coat and recoating

http://www.eastwood.com/blog/diy-how-to/how-to-repair-clearcoat-defects/

So talking about a clear coat over a clear coat respray. I don't under stand a few things, how come when it comes to a repaint they never worry about what they mention in the article about the chemical bond? Most repaints leave the original paint on the car only sanded. And what kind of chemical bond is there to the steel panel?
In the article he's talking like all automotive paint is 2K, not so, especially when water colors are the norm, they are not 2K there is no catalyst used with the base coat the clear is supposed to be sticking to. So I really do not see a huge difference in a respray of clear coat over an intact clear coat that is just getting on the thin side. It would not be any different than a repaint leaving all the original paint on the car.
Old 08-07-16, 06:12 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
http://www.eastwood.com/blog/diy-how-to/how-to-repair-clearcoat-defects/

So talking about a clear coat over a clear coat respray. I don't under stand a few things, how come when it comes to a repaint they never worry about what they mention in the article about the chemical bond? Most repaints leave the original paint on the car only sanded. And what kind of chemical bond is there to the steel panel?
In the article he's talking like all automotive paint is 2K, not so, especially when water colors are the norm, they are not 2K there is no catalyst used with the base coat the clear is supposed to be sticking to. So I really do not see a huge difference in a respray of clear coat over an intact clear coat that is just getting on the thin side. It would not be any different than a repaint leaving all the original paint on the car.
Link is not working for me. I thought there needed to be a chemical bond too for clearcoat/2K so you would first need to spray some paint and then clear coat for the best or proper bond and can't just do new CC over thin or failing CC and get good long lasting results. When I repainted my spoiler and when my dad did his bumper we sanded down and then sprayed a urethane paint and then did the spray max 2K clear. It turned out well and has lasted over a year in sun/freezing temps so far. It would be nice if you could just spray new clear over old/thin/failing clear that you just sanded.