RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Shopping for an RC, had a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-16, 03:02 PM
JP514
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shopping for an RC, had a few questions...

Hello all,
I'm looking into getting a new car soon and I've been doing some research and shopping for the past month or so and I stumbled upon the Lexus RC. Right off the bat I gotta say wow what a car! I had no idea Lexus offered a 2 door coupe with good looks and a stunning interesting interior and AWD (I live in Canada so awd is key). I've always grown up around German cars and quite frankly I'm a bit fed up and unimpressed with their current lineup.

That being said I'm really impressed and I really like the RC. I've watched reviews and did research online and I'm very close to pulling the trigger on one. I've contacted a few dealers to find out lead times and they all said roughly 90 days which would bring me into Oct-Nov, and I'm not interested in buying a new car and having it's first few months being Canadian winter haha. That being said I have a few questions regarding the vehicle and I figured this forum would be the best place to get most if not all my questions answered.

The car in question would be a RC 350 F-Sport AWD:
1. I've noticed that on the online builder selecting the Fsport package removes the fog lights from the grill and gives you the led RCF type headlamp, however i've seen plenty of videos and pictures where the cars have Fsport packages and also have the fog lights and led headlamps. Wondering if this is possible or the online builder is correct
2. The online builder also does not give you the option to have the blue paint job with the red leather interior combination, however i've seen pictures and videos where the cars have that colour combination. Again wondering if this is possible or the online builder is correct
3. Is the factory sport exhaust option really worth it? I've seen YT videos where they installed aftermarket exhausts that sound really great! That being said doe aftermarket exhausts void the warranty?
4. How tuner friendly is the car? I'm not looking into making it a race car but as mentioned in the above point perhaps and exhaust would be on the list, a nice drop and some bigger nicer wheels too. Again does any of these void the warranty and is the AWD version able to be modded? It will be a daily driver so it needs to be drivable during the winter
5. How DIY/workable is the car? I'm pretty decent with my hands and have basic mechanic knowledge, is doing some of the maintenance/work myself easy or is it like a benz where you can barely touch it and you always need to bring it to a dealership to get it serviced/fixed/tire change etc etc.
6. Lexus is known to be a leader in reliability and they always seem to score very well in long term ownership/maintenance costs. How are parts and labor compared to other brands and is it really that reliable? Any surprises or hiccups that seem to happen with this car?
7. How good/bad is the infotainement system. I sat in a Lexus at car show a few months ago but I wasn't really able to play with it. I've notice a lot of YT videos say it's either horrendous or livable but not the best. From what I've seen the RC "mousepad" seems to be decent at most, what does the forum think?
8. I enjoy driving. I don't mistreat my cars but i do enjoy pushing them and having fun every now and then. Is this a driver's car or is it just another car with no passion or soul? Is it enjoyable on long journey's as well?
9. Lastly and most importantly...Does the trunk fit a full sized golf bag? Maybe two?

Apologies in advance if I've posted this in the wrong section or have done anything wrong. I greatly appreciate the replies thank you guys!
Old 07-23-16, 07:18 PM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

No apology necessary, you have not done anything wrong. Well, that's not completely accurate. The only thing you did wrong was use a contraction where you should have use a pronoun ("it's first few months . . .). (Ooops, I meant two: you used a possessive where you meant to use a plural ("on long journey's . . .") Three, and your post gets deleted.
I've had an RC (AWD) since the first week they went on sale, and I have had several Lexus cars before, so I think I can help with some of your questions (which are far better questions than usually posed by newcomers here).
1. About the on-line builder and the fog lights - you should talk to a salesman about that. The packages and configurations available in Canada are different in some respects from those available in the US, so most of the info here might not pertain to you. I am not sure why there is a difference, but buying patterns and government regulations can be a factor. I would not rely on the web page for definitive answers. On my car (not an F-Sport), the fog lights were an option (about US$400); I would think you could add them to any configuration, but you never know.
2. A lot of advertising pictures are not actually photographs, and even when they are, color combinations can easily be created and changed in the computer, so don't rely on that. Also, the allowable mixes will change from time to time, so you need to check with your salesman as to what's possible now, and remember that the web page may not be up to date. The more unusual your request, the less likely you are to find one at a dealership, and the longer it will take if special ordered.
3. I don't know anything about exhausts, and would not advise messing with them, but that's up to you.
4. I don't lower my cars and usually don't change the wheels, but many owners do, and this forum is filled with photos and stories and suggestions. You need to just look around here for this answer.
5. You don't need to take a Lexus to a dealership to change the tires. Where did that thought come from? The engine is as readily serviceable as just about any other non-exotic on the road today. Also, this engine has been around a while, so although the model is fairly new, many independent mechanics are familiar with it, and you can save some money by using them. On the other hand, if you cannot afford to have an expensive luxury car serviced and maintained by trained professionals, maybe you are getting in over your head. The other, and better, answer is: what service? Nothing ever goes wrong with these cars.
6. No surprises await you, but you should know that Lexus parts are among the best made and of the highest quality, so they cost more. That's why they seldom break or wear out.
7. I don't know or care what "the forum thinks" about the "infotainment" system, whatever that is. The NAV system is excellent and well worth the cost. The mousepad is not everybody's favorite among the 18 different cursor controls in automobiles today, but I found it easy enough to get used to. I prefer the touch screen systems, but they have their problems also, and require the screen to be close to the driver. The NAV screen in the RC is high in the center of the dash way up at the windshield, which is the best possible position, as you can see it without taking your eyes very far off the road, so a touch screen here is out of the question. I have had ML audio in my last two Lexus cars, but not in this one - my hearing is not very good, so all that high end sound is lost on me. Frankly, I can't tell the difference, and find the standard radio, audio, CD, Sat Radio, streaming audio, etc to be more than adequate. Unless you play a lot of classical music at high volume, skip the ML. The car gives you a lot of information, including tire pressures - I think that's the "info" part of that strange word made up by someone unfamiliar with English.
8. I have taken several long trips (over 2,000 miles - that's 3,200 km to you) and find the car very comfortable, quiet, well equipped and luxurious. I don't know what you mean by "pushing it," but if you want something that corners like a cat on Velcro, visit your Porsche dealership. The F-Sport version offers one additional suspension setting which I don't have, which is more performance oriented, and I think that's all you need. For excellent comfort and plenty of fun, the RC is an excellent combination. For the most part, I don't care if my car has passion or soul, as I have plenty of both.
9. I don't play golf, but I think two golf bags will fit into the trunk. The back seats fold forward and open into the trunk in two sections (1/3 and 2/3). With either one of these folded forward, there would be room for two bags and a caddy.
Although there is no substitute for visiting the dealer and driving one around, you are very wise to get as much information as you can first. Get a good idea of what you want before talking to a salesman and taking a drive.
Keep us informed.
Old 07-24-16, 09:39 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I am so-so on the RC at the one year mark. Cons: car feels heavy with mediocre performance and car mileage even worse considering the performance. The interior is well designed but the materials are disappointing. The seats stain readily (experience with other lighter interiors have been much better), and get hot along their backs during hot weather. I'm not talking about when you first enter a hot car, which is to be expected, but after driving for some time with the a/c going. The climate controls are poorly designed in that they are too easy to overshoot your desired setting. Similarly, the mouse pad control is a step backwards as the cursor is much too easy to overshoot a desired selection. This is true even after adjusting the sensitivity. The map is lacking a 3-D display option, like most other luxury cars, and the nav. appearance and features are virtually unchanged from much older Lexuses. The rwd (edited) models have different sizes tires on the fronts and rears, and being low-profile summer tires will wear poorly and be VERY costly when their replacement is due. This is a touring, not performance oriented car so is this tire arrangement really necessary? As for audio, I have the ML audio, and have had ML's and Nakamichi audios, as well as standard (Pioneer) Lexus audio in the past. This car's ML is good, not great, and sounds either too piercing or too flat. I find it hard to modulate it to be optimal. In short, it is not worth it, and definitely over-priced. The car overall, in fact, is only a fair value.

In summary, would I get an RC again? Nope. I'm glad I'm on a 24 month lease with it.

No intent to offend others on this, this is obviously MHO, and my apologies to those who really love their RC's and see the car differently.

Last edited by Canesguy; 08-03-16 at 04:15 PM. Reason: typos
Old 07-24-16, 02:03 PM
ZeroG
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Canesguy
I am so-so on the RC at the one year mark. Cons: car feels heavy with mediocre performance and car mileage even worse considering the performance. The interior is well designed but the materials are disappointing. The seats stain readily (experience with other lighter interiors have been much better), and get hot along their backs during hot weather. I'm not talking about when you first enter a hot car, which is to be expected, but after driving for some time with the a/c going. The climate controls are poorly designed in that they are too easy to overshoot your desired setting. Similarly, the mouse pad control is a step backwards as the cursor is much too easy to overshoot a desired selection. This is true even after adjusting the sensitivity. The map is lacking a 3-D display option, like most other luxury cars, and the nav. appearance and features are virtually unchanged from much older Lexuses. The fwd models have different sizes tires on the fronts and rears, and being low-profile summer tires will wear poorly and be VERY costly when their replacement is due. This is a touring, not performance oriented car so is this tire arrangement really necessary? As for audio, I have the ML audio, and have had ML's and Nakamichi audios, as well as standard (Pioneer) Lexus audio in the past. This car's ML is good, not great, and sounds either too piercing or too flat. I find it hard to modulate it to be optimal. In short, it is not worth it, and definitely over-priced. The car overall, in fact, is only a fair value.

In summary, would I get an RC again? Nope. I'm glad I'm on a 24 month lease with it.

No intent to offend others on this, this is obviously MHO, and my apologies to those who really love their RC's and see the car differently.
No offense taken, but I have to wonder... Why did you even get this car?!?

IMO...
- You knew the performance and average mileage going in.
- The interior is beautiful as well as the materials. What are you doing that's staining them?
- The climate controls are poorly designed? Looks pretty comprehensive to me... plus the AC is just fine (save the well documented troubles with the seats others have mentioned - mine work fine).
- ML audio system is excellent, especially when you pop in a Dolby Digital DVD-A disc and experience the full range of the speakers.

Honestly, did you lose a bet? I'm trying to figure out with all that you dislike, why you even drove off the lot.

Anyway, no intended offensive on my part either. My experience with this car has been amazing and I've had 3 Lexus vehicles prior to this.
I'm on a lease and I intend to purchase this at the end, as I can't remember having so much fun and pleasure with a vehicle I've driven. But that's just me.
Hope you can hang in there for the remainder of your time with it.

Oh, and to the OP... Just get it!

ZeroG

Last edited by ZeroG; 07-24-16 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-24-16, 02:35 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

ZeroG: i no doubt touched a nerve with you. Not my intention.

Why did I get this car? I'm asking myself the same thing. Taking a test drive, and seeing them on the street is not the same as living with them, especially in terms of performance and gas mileage, and the way features are controlled, ergonomics-wise. As far as staining of the interior seats, I am doing nothing other than going to work (white collar profession); in other words, I do not work construction or roll in the dirt before riding in the car. My cars are, compared to average, lightly used. I take meticulous care of all my cars. I do not, nor have I ever, eaten or drank in the car. That's part of why I'm less than satisfied. Maybe I'm too fussy?? Some may like the ergonomics, I'm not impressed with them. Others like me have reported having issues with warm seats, and wear and/or staining of the seats. You're lucky you haven't.

Anyway, compared to my experience with multiple other Lexues, and other high-end cars, I am disappointed. Glad you like yours, but because I realize that even though I find fault with mine doesn't mean everyone will. Remember, I said my issues are IMO.

And noooo, I didn't lose a bet, just made a mistake leasing it.

Last edited by Canesguy; 07-24-16 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-24-16, 04:07 PM
ZeroG
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ZeroG: i no doubt touched a nerve with you. Not my intention.

Why did I get this car? I'm asking myself the same thing. Taking a test drive, and seeing them on the street is not the same as living with them, especially in terms of performance and gas mileage, and the way features are controlled, ergonomics-wise. As far as staining of the interior seats, I am doing nothing other than going to work (white collar profession); in other words, I do not work construction or roll in the dirt before riding in the car. My cars are, compared to average, lightly used. I take meticulous care of all my cars. I do not, nor have I ever, eaten or drank in the car. That's part of why I'm less than satisfied. Maybe I'm too fussy?? Some may like the ergonomics, I'm not impressed with them. Others like me have reported having issues with warm seats, and wear and/or staining of the seats. You're lucky you haven't.

Anyway, compared to my experience with multiple other Lexues, and other high-end cars, I am disappointed. Glad you like yours, but because I realize that even though I find fault with mine doesn't mean everyone will. Remember, I said my issues are IMO.

And noooo, I didn't lose a bet, just made a mistake leasing it.
Nope, no nerve touched, was just looking for your side of the reasoning. Thanks for the clarification and as you point out, to each his own.
Cheers!

ZeroG
Old 07-24-16, 04:30 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

....and cheers right back at you!
Old 07-27-16, 07:49 AM
Waymok
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi @jp514,

I've had my car for just about a year now exactly, put about 30,000km on my car, drove it from Alberta down to California, been through the mountains and right to the coast. Owned a 2014 IS, 2015 NX, and now at the RC AWD. and gotta say this is one of my favorite cars. It's sexy as hell, I've never caught so much attention before driving any other vehicles. Not that I've driven the Lambo's and things before, but those cars you know exactly what they are, if you missed it it wouldn't make you turn around and see what this is. But for a Lexus to make something this sexy, in such a long time, it's definitely a head turner. I was going through a drive through, and a lady stopped me to tell me how nice this ride is, I got the atomic on red. And travelling through every town right to LA, San Fran, and every little small town, I mean I'm bound to get some compliments at the gas station and what not. I'll tell you a little bit more about the owning experience before getting to you questions. But driving experience wise, it's comfortable, yet sporty when you want it to be. The Lexus is made so that you can really enjoy your what doesn't have to be mundane Monday to Friday, and as soon as the Sunday rolls around you can enjoy it lots around the mountains just enjoying some sun. Maintenance, there is really nothing major that you are going to worry about. Lexus is actually the 3rd lowest in over all cost of ownership, sourced from https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...y-maddy-martin. At this time still, there is not once that I park my car without looking back and think to myself how damn sexy this thing is.

To answer some of your questions.

1) The Canadian version have decided to not to go with Fog lights in our F sport model. The pictures that you see are from the international versions of the car. Each country pretty pick and choose how they can best built the car for the best value for their demographic of people.
2) This goes the same as well, you won't find a Canadian version of one at this time as well.
3) The F sport exhaust is alright, but for that kinda money, I'd rather get something like an ARK Grip, which I have , and in my opinion it's much sexier looking, and the sound is nice and subtle also. And no it does not void the warranty, unless it is clearly the install that messed something up. I have a catback exhaust on mine and no problems.
4) The car is fairly tuner friendly too, everything that you've mentioned, you can find a really good handful of people that has done it before. I have the RSR downs for suspension, and the ARK exhaust, and it's quite enjoyable for a daily driver.
5) Lexus are quite friendly to be working with, not really any special tools needed that makes you have to take your car back to the dealership.
6)Reliability as mentioned above, 3rd on the list, with Scion and Toyota ahead, then you have Honda's and Mitsu behind, which says a lot!
7) I've enjoyed the infotainment system, the only thing that really gives me grieve is the navigation, takes me on weird road sometimes, so I always cross reference to the google maps.
8) And this one definitely likes to be pushed once in a while, that's how the car stays sharp!
9) And the Trunk can definitely fit a full size, two maybe pushing it, but bring two by the dealership when you look at one!

From my experience, this is the most unpractical car that I've had, but it's the one that I've kept the longest. Definitely a keeper.
Old 07-27-16, 10:09 AM
SpeedRcr
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

JP, salut! Fellow Canadian here. I've provided my answers below (inline):

1. I've noticed that on the online builder selecting the Fsport package removes the fog lights from the grill and gives you the led RCF type headlamp, however i've seen plenty of videos and pictures where the cars have Fsport packages and also have the fog lights and led headlamps. Wondering if this is possible or the online builder is correct
*** Answer: In Canada, the F-Sport came with fog lights for the RWD model in 2015, whereas the AWD had none. The RWD didn't sell well and was eliminated for 2016's line-up (as far I know). If you're looking for fog lights, you'll have to buy the trim and the light assembly and then have installed. The dealer can do this at a cost, but be wary, I'm not certain these cars come pre-wired for fog lights. Easy to do.

2. The online builder also does not give you the option to have the blue paint job with the red leather interior combination, however i've seen pictures and videos where the cars have that colour combination. Again wondering if this is possible or the online builder is correct
*** Answer: Lexus in the US will allow you do customize this. In Canada the packages are pre-selected. My RC is in the Ultra Sonic Blue 2.0 colour and black seemed to be the interior that most dealers stocked. I too wanted red, but have grown to enjoy the black - it's clean, elegant and nice.

3. Is the factory sport exhaust option really worth it? I've seen YT videos where they installed aftermarket exhausts that sound really great! That being said doe aftermarket exhausts void the warranty?
***Answer: Yes! I have the Lexus F-sport installed and it sounds great. It's a solid piece of hardware and has received many compliments. It also comes with a rear-diffuser that fills in that gap space in the back. I have some pictures posted in the forum. It sounds deep and clean with no rasp. If you're ever in the Toronto area, I'll let you hear it for yourself. I also have felt the car has less hesitation at certain RPM ranges. It's pricey but quality and I have no regrets.

4. How tuner friendly is the car? I'm not looking into making it a race car but as mentioned in the above point perhaps and exhaust would be on the list, a nice drop and some bigger nicer wheels too. Again does any of these void the warranty and is the AWD version able to be modded? It will be a daily driver so it needs to be drivable during the winter
***Answer: I'm in your boat. I've had a ton of problems with dropping previous vehicles (most recently my other car a late model Acura TSX). I'm on the fence about dropping it -- although the AWD would look so much better dropped. Wheel are no problem, and you can easily add an intake and exhaust. I just met up with Josh from Meraki (he's here in the forum) in Los Angeles and picked up a nice intake from him. He ships to Quebec. Great guy!

5. How DIY/workable is the car? I'm pretty decent with my hands and have basic mechanic knowledge, is doing some of the maintenance/work myself easy or is it like a benz where you can barely touch it and you always need to bring it to a dealership to get it serviced/fixed/tire change etc etc.
*** Answer: This car is similar to how Toyotas have been put together. You can do a ton of things on your own. The engine has been around in some shape or form for the past ten years so don't expect to do much work on that part of the vehicle.

6. Lexus is known to be a leader in reliability and they always seem to score very well in long term ownership/maintenance costs. How are parts and labor compared to other brands and is it really that reliable? Any surprises or hiccups that seem to happen with this car?
*** Answer: The dealer's rates are not bad. I found them comparable to Acura.

7. How good/bad is the infotainement system. I sat in a Lexus at car show a few months ago but I wasn't really able to play with it. I've notice a lot of YT videos say it's either horrendous or livable but not the best. From what I've seen the RC "mousepad" seems to be decent at most, what does the forum think?
*** Answer: It's liveable. But it's like having a medium-attractive girlfriend. You can hit it, but you'll always be wanting more. You'll sit in a Ford Fusion rental car and be like "wow, so this is what it's like on the other side.." The mousepad is easy to use, i've never had major issues but I can see where some people would've be comfortable. The User Experience, Visuals and snappiness of the infotainment leaves something to be desired --- I recently was in a Mazda 3 and new BMW 7 series and both of those setups smoke what we have from a UI and asthetics perspective. The navi is also "hi-2009-called".

8. I enjoy driving. I don't mistreat my cars but i do enjoy pushing them and having fun every now and then. Is this a driver's car or is it just another car with no passion or soul? Is it enjoyable on long journey's as well?
**Answer: Sport Mode+, Trac/VSA Off and Manual, you'll have a good time. It makes some nice sounds when you push it -- but it's also calm and pleasant for those long drive. I often have business calls whilst driving and never had a problem.

9. Lastly and most importantly...Does the trunk fit a full sized golf bag? Maybe two?
**Answer: YES! I have two bags sitting in my trunk right now (diagonally). As others have alluded to, the seats fold down nicely if needed as well.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Last edited by SpeedRcr; 07-27-16 at 10:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
qlaval (11-10-17)
Old 07-27-16, 06:59 PM
JP514
Driver School Candidate

Wow thank you so much with the replies. The content and quality are excellent, you guys are answering my questions perfectly really appreciate it! Well so far based on what you guys are saying this car is ticking off all the right boxes!
So to break it down:
1. Fog lamps are a no go in Canada, ask dealership if maybe it's a possibility, not a big deal

2. No Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0 (btw what an awesome paint name) with the Rioja Red interior is a bummer. I really love blue as an exterior colour and red as an interior colour. My other options would be ultra white or nebula grey w/ red. Never been a fan of black unless it's like a metallic black, the maintenance on black is such a headache, it gets dirty the second you clean it and scratches just by looking at it.

3. Thanks for the sport exhaust info, if and when i end up going for a test drive I will try and see if the dealer would have one so i could hear it. I've already looked up the ARK Grip and it sounds sweeeet!

4. So tunning is not an issue. I do think the car sits a tad too high, i would be interested in dropping in but not too low for the winter, and maybe pushing the tires out just to fill up the wheel gap.

5. Great to know the car is easy to work with. I'm not a penny pincher but I always enjoy doing things on my own, it's not about saving money but really the experience and satisfaction you get accomplishing something on your own.

6. Not surprised lexus is super reliable, great to hear from actual buyers that they've enjoyed the car and reliability so far.

7.So this seems to be the only major negative point on the car: the infotainement system. It seems a bit jittery and funky based on videos, would have to try it in person. I don't see this as being a huge deal breaker. Perhaps waiting for the 2017 models would be wise?

8. Love to see some enthusiastic drivers here. I really really love driving, long trip/short trip/ sunday cruise/canyon carve you name it! Every since i was a kid i was always into cars and racing. This is a major point for me, i know it's not a Porsche or a BMW, but i've had fun with cheap cars with 0 power and if this one is able to put a smile on my face that's a major plus!

9. Lastly speedrcr, you practically sold me with the two golf bags fitting in the trunk haha. I'm a pretty big golfer so fitting another bag for the wifey or a friend is a great point. Also, if the trunk of a 2 door coupe is large enough to fit golf bags it means it's got great practically as well.

That being said I will try to get a test drive soon and keep you guys posted on my thoughts of the vehicle. As of now I'm thinking of buying the car rather than leasing it, given the great reliability of the brand and overall low cost of ownership. Also, if i were to get this car I'd probably wait till winter passes to buy it, i just can't let a brand new car drive it's first few KMs in a brutally cold Canadian winter.

I would have another question...I noticed ,again while watching videos, that the AWD has a 6spd transmission rather than an 8spd for the RWD. Are there any major differences in driving dynamics or you wouldn't be able to tell the difference if you were blindfolded?

Thanks it for now thank you so much guys really appreciate it !
Old 07-28-16, 08:00 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

If you enjoy a bit of spirited driving from time to time, using paddle shifters with an 8 speed is just too much. I have the six speed AWD and it's plenty smooth in automatic mode, but in manual mode, the number of gears is just right. The 8 speed is probably a bit smoother in shifting, but I can't imagine that it's much of a discernible difference.
Old 07-28-16, 08:23 AM
lexual_rc

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Get the 350 awd...you will not be dissapointed. It's like driving on clouds in terms of comfort and a pleasure to drive everyday. All the mods you want can be done and easily reverted if you go about them the right way...just search the forums. Its a adequately performing 6 cylinder which you know you can depend on as being reliable as its a Lexus. The interior is one of the best I've ever seen in any car in this price range and probably my favorite thing about my purchase....my other favorite thing being the asthetics of the exterior. Don't let anyone discourage you...go drive it for yourself and then decide.
Old 08-03-16, 05:45 AM
JP514
Driver School Candidate

Thanks suvi2k! I will for sure be test driving one soon and keep you guys updated. However, since we are the summer and I won't be able to drive in any snow for quite a while, I would like to know how it handles in the winter. Any remarks on winter driving capabilities of the car?
Old 08-03-16, 06:54 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Just a couple of notes/clarifications about this.

The climate controls are poorly designed in that they are too easy to overshoot your desired setting.
When I had my IS, which has the same HVAC panel, I found it easiest to just tap the red or blue arrow to lower or raise the temperature. You may find that easier than sliding your finger along the sensor.

The map is lacking a 3-D display option, like most other luxury cars, and the nav. appearance and features are virtually unchanged from much older Lexuses.
There is a 3D/Bird's Eye View on the nav. Click the compass in the top left corner to cycle through the viewing options. I'm surprised you find it so similar to older Lexus systems. I felt like they've done a nice job upgrading it over the years. I was always quite frustrated with the system in my RX, and found the gen 8 system to be a huge improvement. For me, key improvements have been the subscription free HD traffic/weather, 3D view, ability to split the home screen, and the "one shot" address entry.

The fwd models have different sizes tires on the fronts and rears, and being low-profile summer tires will wear poorly and be VERY costly when their replacement is due. This is a touring, not performance oriented car so is this tire arrangement really necessary?
Assume you meant RWD, as the RC is not offered in FWD.

Sorry you're not happy with your RC. Any thoughts on what you will get when your RC lease is up?
Old 08-03-16, 08:48 AM
SpeedRcr
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JP514
Thanks suvi2k! I will for sure be test driving one soon and keep you guys updated. However, since we are the summer and I won't be able to drive in any snow for quite a while, I would like to know how it handles in the winter. Any remarks on winter driving capabilities of the car?
It handles well and very sure footed in the snow. I've driven it through heavy, slight, wet and icy snow -- no problems as all with grip. Goes straight and fast (I did have Michelin XiCe3 winter tires on it though..)

Quick Reply: Shopping for an RC, had a few questions...