ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

ES 350 insurance costs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-16, 11:59 AM
Island
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES 350 insurance costs?

Just purchased my ES 350 the other day. I'm curious what other ES owners are paying for liability/comp/collision. I know it varies from State to State and driving record, etc. Also, what kind of deductibles are you guys going with? I always hate buying insurance. To me, it's always an added cost that I feel goes into someone else's pocket and out of mine, until of course you have that one bad day where you smash into another car or some A-hole keys your car because you took his parking spot.
Old 07-23-16, 12:14 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In Nor Cal, I recall paying about 1100 for full coverage with a 200 deduct for either comp. or collision. We pay more up here in the Bay Area since people here don't know how to drive and ends up costing all of us.
Old 07-23-16, 12:33 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

You might want to check this recent similar thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...ners-have.html

Insurance premiums can vary widely based on many factors, including the insurance company, coverage levels, the geographic area where the car is driven, the age of the driver, the driving record of the driver, likelihood of theft in a particular area, accident frequency in a particular area, prevailing hourly wages for body shop work in a particular area, etc.

Thus, without considering all of the factors that go into determining insurance rates, any comparisons of what one person's premiums are to those of another are largely meaningless.

That said, my most recent 6 month premium for my 2013 ES was right around $300. The policy from State Farm includes collision coverage with a $250 deductible, comprehensive coverage with no deductible, uninsured driver insurance, under insured driver insurance, bodily injury insurance, property damage insurance, medical payments, insurance, etc. It should also be noted that I have an accident-free discount at the highest level available, a multi-car discount, and a discount for bundling auto insurance with home owner's insurance.

Last edited by lesz; 07-23-16 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-23-16, 01:25 PM
Island
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lesz
You might want to check this recent similar thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...ners-have.html

Insurance premiums can vary widely based on many factors, including the insurance company, coverage levels, the geographic area where the car is driven, the age of the driver, the driving record of the driver, likelihood of theft in a particular area, accident frequency in a particular area, prevailing hourly wages for body shop work in a particular area, etc.

Thus, without considering all of the factors that go into determining insurance rates, any comparisons of what one person's premiums are to those of another are largely meaningless.

That said, my most recent 6 month premium for my 2013 ES was right around $300. The policy from State Farm includes collision coverage with a $250 deductible, comprehensive coverage with no deductible, uninsured driver insurance, under insured driver insurance, bodily injury insurance, property damage insurance, medical payments, insurance, etc. It should also be noted that I have an accident-free discount at the highest level available, a multi-car discount, and a discount for bundling auto insurance with home owner's insurance.
Thank you for the very informative reply. I say this because I also have State Farm and have all the discounts that are afforded to you having both home/car insurance and perfect driving record with State farm. I just got an Email quote and my local State Farm rep quoted me around $450 with a $1000 deductible and $530 with a $500 deductible. Seems a little high seeing as I should be getting all the discounts. I live in Northern Cali up past Sacramento BTW
Old 07-23-16, 01:39 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Island
Thank you for the very informative reply. I say this because I also have State Farm and have all the discounts that are afforded to you having both home/car insurance and perfect driving record with State farm. I just got an Email quote and my local State Farm rep quoted me around $450 with a $1000 deductible and $530 with a $500 deductible. Seems a little high seeing as I should be getting all the discounts. I live in Northern Cali up past Sacramento BTW
You are probably in a higher risk/rate area than lesz. In Arty101's post above, he recalls paying around $1,100 in No. Cal.
Old 07-23-16, 01:40 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Island
The differences between your premium quote and mine are likely largely due to differences between where you live and where I live. I live in the middle of nowhere. The chances of my car being stolen would be virtually non-existent. Further, since I can often drive many miles without crossing paths with another vehicle, I would guess that risk of an accident here would be much lower than it would be if I lived in an urban area. Also, labor rates at body shops here about 1/2 what they would be if I had work done only 150 miles away in the Chicago area.

Also, note that my ES is now 3 model years old. If I remember correctly, when the ES was new in 2013, my 6 month premium was around $350.
Old 07-23-16, 02:25 PM
UKEE
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm shocked that my new ES350 is $50 more every six months than the 2015 BMW 328i Xdrive that it replaced, especially with the extra safety features of the Lexus and the fact that the repair costs of the BMW are astronomical. Not sure why the Lexus costs more. Will be calling the agent soon to discuss.
Old 07-23-16, 05:06 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep, it's the high cost of living in a crowded urban area. I have discounts for: Mature drivers, no accident, no dmv points, no claims, high credit score, multiple car and combo home discounts. It's all in the area code.
Old 07-23-16, 05:34 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UKEE
I'm shocked that my new ES350 is $50 more every six months than the 2015 BMW 328i Xdrive that it replaced, especially with the extra safety features of the Lexus and the fact that the repair costs of the BMW are astronomical. Not sure why the Lexus costs more. Will be calling the agent soon to discuss.
I can think of at least a couple of reasons why the insurance premiums for the ES might be higher than those for the BMW.

First, the premiums for the comprehensive comprehensive coverage and collision coverage of a vehicle are largely dependent on the replacement cost of the vehicle. Since the BMW is a 2015 vehicle and since it has already taken the biggest depreciation hit that it will take in any one year, its replacement cost has already dropped by a significant amount. While it is the case that, as a vehicle ages and as its replacement cost goes down each year, insurance premiums should also go down each year, but because of the major first year depreciation, they should drop by the biggest amount after a vehicle is a year old.

Also, since most stolen vehicles are taken apart and sold for parts, the potential for theft of any given vehicle depends to a large extent on how big the demand is for the parts from that vehicle after it has been stolen. The most frequently stolen vehicles are not necessarily the most expensive vehicles. Instead, the most frequently stolen vehicles are usually vehicles like Ford Fusions and Toyota Camrys because, with so many of them on the road, there is high demand for their parts, and car thieves have greater profit potential after stealing them, chopping them up, and selling their parts. I'm not sure what the numbers are with regard to the number of ES vehicles and the number of 3-series BMWs on the road, but, since many of the parts from an ES are the same parts that are used on Camrys and Avalons, I would suspect that there is higher demand for ES parts than there is for BMW parts. If that is correct and if ES vehicles are stolen more frequently than 3-series vehicles, that would account for higher comprehensive insurance premiums.
Old 07-23-16, 06:06 PM
UKEE
Driver

Originally Posted by lesz
I can think of at least a couple of reasons why the insurance premiums for the ES might be higher than those for the BMW.

First, the premiums for the comprehensive comprehensive coverage and collision coverage of a vehicle are largely dependent on the replacement cost of the vehicle. Since the BMW is a 2015 vehicle and since it has already taken the biggest depreciation hit that it will take in any one year, its replacement cost has already dropped by a significant amount. While it is the case that, as a vehicle ages and as its replacement cost goes down each year, insurance premiums should also go down each year, but because of the major first year depreciation, they should drop by the biggest amount after a vehicle is a year old.

Also, since most stolen vehicles are taken apart and sold for parts, the potential for theft of any given vehicle depends to a large extent on how big the demand is for the parts from that vehicle after it has been stolen. The most frequently stolen vehicles are not necessarily the most expensive vehicles. Instead, the most frequently stolen vehicles are usually vehicles like Ford Fusions and Toyota Camrys because, with so many of them on the road, there is high demand for their parts, and car thieves have greater profit potential after stealing them, chopping them up, and selling their parts. I'm not sure what the numbers are with regard to the number of ES vehicles and the number of 3-series BMWs on the road, but, since many of the parts from an ES are the same parts that are used on Camrys and Avalons, I would suspect that there is higher demand for ES parts than there is for BMW parts. If that is correct and if ES vehicles are stolen more frequently than 3-series vehicles, that would account for higher comprehensive insurance premiums.
I can agree to that to a certain point, however, like you said, the BMW price of insurance didn't drop because it became a year old but the Lexus jumped it. Also to that point, the part are more easily available for the ES (because, as you said, they are used on multiple platforms) and are cheaper than BMW parts. The cost to replace BMW parts is just through the roof. Maybe I made the wrong assumption that the Lexus parts would be cheaper than BMW parts. Also thought the safety warning systems that are on the ES would lower the cost (maybe they do and I don't realize it). Anyway, I'll live with the extra cost as I like the car so much more than the BMW. Just much more my style.
Old 07-23-16, 06:25 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UKEE
The cost to replace BMW parts is just through the roof. Maybe I made the wrong assumption that the Lexus parts would be cheaper than BMW parts.
It isn't the cost of a vehicle's (legally sold) parts that is a major factor in determining how likely a vehicle is to be stolen because illegally sold stolen parts are only going to bring a price that is a small fraction of what those parts would sell for if they were new and legal. Even if a new and legally sold BMW transmission costs more than a new and legally sold ES transmission, there is likely to be very little difference between what the two transmissions will fetch in the market for stolen parts, and that is why the major factor in determining whether a vehicle is likely to be stolen is how big the market is for its stolen parts, and that is the reason why, when more vehicles can use their parts, a vehicle is a more likely candidate to be stolen. That is the main reason why a higher percentage of Chevy Malibus will be stolen than the percentage of Lexus LS vehicles that will be stolen. Quite simply, there are a lot more vehicles on the road that can use parts from the Malibu than there are vehicles that can use the LS parts.
Old 07-23-16, 06:44 PM
UKEE
Driver

Out of curiosity, I looked at the policies just now and the ES is $18 higher per six months on comprehensive and $32 higher on collision (where I thought it would be cheaper than the BMW). It is cheaper on liability by $5.

All numbers per six months.
Old 07-25-16, 11:38 AM
Cake
Rookie

Age matters lot
Old 07-25-16, 10:32 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Bottom line is the cost to insure an ES is not much different than the cost to insure a Camry/Altima/Sonata/Malibu/Fusion.
Old 07-26-16, 03:11 AM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I traded a 2016 Honda Pilot that I only had for 6 months, just because I didnt like it... and mine is now 65 every 6 months more than the pilot was... probable the cost of parts in case of an accident