RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Comfortable Driving...or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-16, 06:37 AM
realkrs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comfortable Driving...or Not?

We have two LS430's, a 2001 and a 2005, and have become spoiled by their overall comfort in terms of quietness, ride softness, and generally easy chair seating among the known quality, power, and ambience of the big Lexus sedans. My wife and I now have little need of a back seat and we both find the trunks a problem because of the short lid and high rear 'wall'. We don't like using the rear seat for garbage can day, groceries, or large boxed items and the like.

So I've gotten of a mind that better practicality and safety might be found with an AWD RX350 and it's rear hatch and fold down seat, and AWD for times we have ice and snow on the roads. I went and drove a 2013 RX350 at a local dealership and was unhappy to discover that it had a comparatively stiff and sometimes jarring ride. The town streets aren't well maintained and there is pretty severe washboarding on parts of the interstate that were pretty uncomfortable in the car. The particular car has 18" wheels and short sidewall tires but even beyond that the car felt stiffly sprung and lacking suppleness.

We're in our late sixties and I don't think that we'll ever buy anything but used Lexus cars for the rest of our lives.

So the question is: Are all RX350 (third gen) relative buckboards in comparison to the LS sedans?

Last edited by realkrs; 07-23-16 at 06:40 AM.
Old 07-23-16, 10:07 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on what you're used to...

i came from a TL, so it's soft to me.
Might be different coming from you, being that you're used to flagship Lexus quality.

Here is a good thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...d-threads.html
Old 07-23-16, 12:32 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

It's very possible the one you drove had too much air in the tires. Dealers always tend to over inflate tires. I have a 14 RX and find the ride quality acceptable but, the front seats very uncomfortable for my taste.

Last edited by charley95; 07-23-16 at 12:33 PM. Reason: wrong word
Old 07-25-16, 06:22 AM
TeeDog
Driver School Candidate

realkrs:
Funny you mentioned the ride being comparatively stiff, I test drove an 2014 RX350 at one dealer and felt the ride wasn't that comfortable and stiff as you mentioned.
I was not impressed with the ride and almost did not get a RX for that reason. It also had the 18" wheels and tires.
I think it was possibly tire over inflation as charley95 stated.
I purchase a 2015 RX with the 19" wheels and Michelin tires and ride is super comfortable.
It was the total opposite of the test drive with the 2014.
T

Last edited by TeeDog; 07-25-16 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-25-16, 07:57 AM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I have no issue with the ride of the RX, but don't mind a bit of harshness in the ride as I like the additional confidence of what I consider improved handling. My lovely wife prefers the same type of ride you seem to appreciate, and she loves to drive the RX. If you have the opportunity or inclination to try an RX450h, I believe the ride is improved over the 350, as well. I can only attribute this to the extra weight from the batteries, or possibly my imagination. Either way, we absolutely love our RX. I would double check the tire pressure (they do over inflate on a routine basis), plus some of the OEM tires are less than optimal. I can't remember what came on our car (Dunlops?), but I was not impressed by the road noise or handling. We replaced them, and it's much better all around.

Give it another chance.

Last edited by Woodrow; 07-25-16 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-25-16, 08:13 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I feel my RX450h is a bit rough even with the tire pressure decreased. Once the warranty period is over, I'll be swapping out the original spring/shock for some aftermarket coilovers with softer springs. I love everything else about the vehicle though, which is why I haven't sold it.
Old 07-25-16, 11:43 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I call our RX450h a couch on wheels. 18hr road trips are no problem.
As mentioned above, there were some complaints on the 350 version, although, I have not noticed any discomfort driving a 16 RX350 as a loaner.
I would also recommend giving a 450h a try. 450 also has tire pressure in the menu... just press up or down buttons on the right side of the steering wheel.

One vehicle I am considering as a replacement is a 4Runner Limited. It has top of the line full-time AWD system, unlike RX, which is FWD most of the time.
And it depreciates at half the rate our RX450h is.
Old 07-25-16, 12:04 PM
Leap
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes the RX will not be as comfortable as an LS. It is half the price and an SUV. The LS is a flagship comfort sedan. You will not get the same comfort / ride / quietness. The RX is comfortable enough and the most comfortable SUV you will find for under 60k. My biggest complaint in that department is highway noise is higher than you might expect.
Old 07-26-16, 05:56 PM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

...So the question is: Are all RX350 (third gen) relative buckboards in comparison to the LS sedans?
I am 65, and my wife and I both think our 2013 Lexus rides great. I drive a 4wd Silverado, and she had an Acura MDX prior. If you want the cushy, floating ride of a yacht, don't even look at an RX. It does not ride like an LS sedan, nor is it intended to.

Last edited by FLYCT; 07-27-16 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Fixed quote format
Old 07-27-16, 04:44 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Very nice ride but the short wheelbase tends to make it a bit choppy. My wife drives it & is very happy with it, however, noticed the difference once leaving her Accord.
Local road conditions will play a heavy role in overall ride comfort.
I drive an F150 4X4 with a much longer wheelbase. Much bigger vehicle & heavier. Rides like a big cumfie couch.
Old 07-28-16, 06:44 AM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed a trailer hitch and I'm not sure if it's my imagination but the ride seems better. Especially the shaking back and forth when going on odd speed bump or pulling out of a steep incline/decline. Any chance that a by product of the hitch has stiffened the chassis such that the rear doesn't twist as much? If so I recommend everyone install a hitch lol.
Old 07-29-16, 01:49 PM
vfr700f2
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't driven an RX other than the one we own (F-Sport), but it doesn't seem uncomfortable to me. Then again, my other car is a sport-package-equipped 3-Series BMW... Try a couple of others to be sure, but I certainly wouldn't expect any ~$50K crossover to ride like an LS.

I will add that the 450H's rear drive is not driven by the engine at all, it's part of the hybrid system and is an electric motor. My Lexus salesman says it is NOT a good snow vehicle. If snow is important, stick with a 350.
Old 08-01-16, 12:09 PM
realkrs
Rookie

Originally Posted by vfr700f2
I will add that the 450H's rear drive is not driven by the engine at all, it's part of the hybrid system and is an electric motor. My Lexus salesman says it is NOT a good snow vehicle. If snow is important, stick with a 350.
That's interesting news to me. So it means that an RX400h/450h are AWD only during those times when the car is moving under electrical power? If so I'd imagine some VERY disconcerting experiences in snow or (especially) ice when the car transits to of from its electric drive mode.

Old 08-01-16, 12:12 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vfr700f2
I haven't driven an RX other than the one we own (F-Sport), but it doesn't seem uncomfortable to me. Then again, my other car is a sport-package-equipped 3-Series BMW... Try a couple of others to be sure, but I certainly wouldn't expect any ~$50K crossover to ride like an LS.

Your salesman is full of it. 450h having great control over torque makes a good snow vehicle. I was surprised how well our old Prius did on stand-still startups.
The electric transfer is as seamless as it gets - there are no mechanical parts to connect or disconnect.
Old 08-01-16, 12:16 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by realkrs
That's interesting news to me. So it means that an RX400h/450h are AWD only during those times when the car is moving under electrical power? If so I'd imagine some VERY disconcerting experiences in snow or (especially) ice when the car transits to of from its electric drive mode.
Technically, Hybrid Synergy Drive is always under electrical power. It's all integrated so it in runs in all-electric, parallel and serial mode.

Quick Reply: Comfortable Driving...or Not?