IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Is it a good deal to buy this Lexus IS300

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-16, 06:59 PM
darkstarid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it a good deal to buy this Lexus IS300

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums. Sorry if I posted in the wrong section. But I have a friend that is selling a Lexus Is300 I believe it's a 01. It has a rebuilt title, and need some work on it. (Paint, and Top Seal)
Is it a good deal or no?
I would like to hear your guys opinions.
Old 07-24-16, 01:00 AM
bigguppy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it $1 or $2? Mileage?
Old 07-24-16, 02:15 PM
darkstarid
Driver School Candidate

o, sorry I forgot to put the price that he wanted. he wanted 2k and the mileage is around 200k
Old 07-24-16, 02:55 PM
LuxSport
Driver School Candidate

Darkstarid,

We need more info on the car. At least I do. I take car buying very seriously, especially if it needs work. Can you provide any more details about the work needed and why it is a rebuilt title? Has the car had any maintenance throughout its life? Any idea when the timing belt was last changed? What are the known issues? What needs immediate attention and what is the cost of that. Will you be doing the maintenance yourself or paying a shop? These are some questions I would be asking myself.
Old 07-24-16, 09:37 PM
bigguppy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depend on the reason why it's a rebuilt title and the body work issue. If you can live with it knowing those issue. For $2,000 is not bad either, beats buying a older Honda or Toyota. I have a rule when buying a use car from random people that claim they did this and that to a car. I expect to spend min $500 and max $1,000 for maintenance that meets my standard for DD. Anything over $1,000 is no longer worth my time and money.

Last edited by bigguppy; 07-24-16 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-25-16, 07:36 PM
darkstarid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LuxSport
Darkstarid,

We need more info on the car. At least I do. I take car buying very seriously, especially if it needs work. Can you provide any more details about the work needed and why it is a rebuilt title? Has the car had any maintenance throughout its life? Any idea when the timing belt was last changed? What are the known issues? What needs immediate attention and what is the cost of that. Will you be doing the maintenance yourself or paying a shop? These are some questions I would be asking myself.
My Friend's dad works at my shop. He said that they recently changed the timing belt, water pump and all of those goodies. But the owner said he'll do 2500, to change the timing belt & top seal, and i think that's it.
Yes it did. Timing belt was changed a year ago or so, maybe less. Most likely doing it myself, but if it's complicated maybe a shop. And thanks for the response.

Last edited by darkstarid; 07-25-16 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-25-16, 07:38 PM
darkstarid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bigguppy
Depend on the reason why it's a rebuilt title and the body work issue. If you can live with it knowing those issue. For $2,000 is not bad either, beats buying a older Honda or Toyota. I have a rule when buying a use car from random people that claim they did this and that to a car. I expect to spend min $500 and max $1,000 for maintenance that meets my standard for DD. Anything over $1,000 is no longer worth my time and money.
Thank you for your opinion.
Old 07-26-16, 07:40 AM
LuxSport
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bigguppy
I agree with this entirely. I always plan on changing ever single fluid in the vehicle, all filters, possibly brakes, etc. Everything it needs to be maintained and in good order. I am confused about the timing belt. If it was just changed a year ago, you shouldn't need to change it again. Do you have a shop invoice showing that was changed?
Old 07-26-16, 08:47 PM
darkstarid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LuxSport
I agree with this entirely. I always plan on changing ever single fluid in the vehicle, all filters, possibly brakes, etc. Everything it needs to be maintained and in good order. I am confused about the timing belt. If it was just changed a year ago, you shouldn't need to change it again. Do you have a shop invoice showing that was changed?
No, I don't actually. The current owner just said the shop recommended him to replace it. But the owner's dad is telling me it recently got changed. -Confused-, but I'll do a little bit of more homework. I'm highly sure my insurance will sky rocket.
Old 07-26-16, 11:37 PM
woowoo
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like a good deal
If he changed the timing belt last year then there's no need to change it again.
I got a 2001 exactly like your friend.
Salvage/rebuilt title
Whole car is primered and needs paint
About the same price(traded my 2002 Mercedes s430 which I got for 2k)
I know I downgraded in luxury but upgraded in Reliability
I drove the car for a year hard with not too many issues and I was shocked at how well it worked
My Benz was a rebuilt and It would leave me stranded here and there(tcu wire harness was deteriorating ) spent $1300 on a brand new transmission control unit from Germany and still would be in limp mode.
Anyway
Make sure to look for these issues:
Rack and pinion
Check engine light for fuel tank overfill valve & bad cats
Driver seat won't move sometimes( moved seat with hand while pressing the button)it works
Oil pan leak but no drops of oil on floor ever
Driver Seatbelt fairing
CD player does not work
Ac has tiny leak still blows cold AF
Gas cap gasket is old
Now the car has 220k and it's not working due to:
Harmonic balancer falling off in my drive way ($300 oem new)
CHECK THE HARMONIC BALANCER!
If you can't fix these issues yourself then yea. It might get expensive
All these parts are pretty cheap it's the labor that gets paid

Last edited by woowoo; 07-26-16 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-27-16, 07:18 PM
darkstarid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by woowoo
Sounds like a good deal
If he changed the timing belt last year then there's no need to change it again.
I got a 2001 exactly like your friend.
Salvage/rebuilt title
Whole car is primered and needs paint
About the same price(traded my 2002 Mercedes s430 which I got for 2k)
I know I downgraded in luxury but upgraded in Reliability
I drove the car for a year hard with not too many issues and I was shocked at how well it worked
My Benz was a rebuilt and It would leave me stranded here and there(tcu wire harness was deteriorating ) spent $1300 on a brand new transmission control unit from Germany and still would be in limp mode.
Anyway
Make sure to look for these issues:
Rack and pinion
Check engine light for fuel tank overfill valve & bad cats
Driver seat won't move sometimes( moved seat with hand while pressing the button)it works
Oil pan leak but no drops of oil on floor ever
Driver Seatbelt fairing
CD player does not work
Ac has tiny leak still blows cold AF
Gas cap gasket is old
Now the car has 220k and it's not working due to:
Harmonic balancer falling off in my drive way ($300 oem new)
CHECK THE HARMONIC BALANCER!
If you can't fix these issues yourself then yea. It might get expensive
All these parts are pretty cheap it's the labor that gets paid
thank you, but do you how much your insurance went up?
Old 07-27-16, 09:17 PM
woowoo
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I honestly don't know. My wife takes care of that, I just give her my checks every week lmao but she did tell me it was more than our 2015 is250 FULL COVERAGE vs liability on the is300?! Our insurance is ****ed from back then but yeah the insurance stated that the is300 is a sports car even with 4 doors and salvage title? Sorry if this doesn't answer your question.
Old 07-28-16, 07:42 PM
darkstarid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by woowoo
I honestly don't know. My wife takes care of that, I just give her my checks every week lmao but she did tell me it was more than our 2015 is250 FULL COVERAGE vs liability on the is300?! Our insurance is ****ed from back then but yeah the insurance stated that the is300 is a sports car even with 4 doors and salvage title? Sorry if this doesn't answer your question.
It does, but imagine a 16 year old with this car.
gg boys, thank you for your response.
Old 11-09-17, 07:19 PM
broken9er
Driver School Candidate

salvage cars can be a toss up, if you do not know the EXACT damage I would steer clear unless you KNOW cars, where are you at in Florida?