Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bet you haven't heard this noise before - Expertise needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-16, 07:28 PM
goodyonsen
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bet you haven't heard this noise before - Expertise needed

Hey guys:

Once again coming back to this forum for some suspension noise diagnostics. This is a new one as I've never heard it before. I'll begin with some background. It's a 2003 GS430 with about 115k miles on it.

I've replaced the following within the last 10k miles:
- LCA #2 (caster) bushing - Fig's poly adjustable unit. See here
- Moog ball joints
- Moog inner & outer tie rods
- Moog sway bar endlinks

Mods:
- BC extreme low coils with 22k spring upgrade - probably getting close to 20k miles on them now
- Studio negative camber 35mm RCA - 10k miles on it

I'm running the stock 17s with Michelin tires.

So here's what's going on: There is a high pitched chirping or squealing sounds thats coming from the front right (passenger) side suspension. It almost sounds like metal on metal friction. This noise happens when I drive over uneven road surfaces at speeds higher than 20 mph. Surfaces such as Socal freeways - where there's rain grooves, cracks in the concrete, just bumpy/worn/mismatched surfaces in general - surfaces that would cause the GS to track.

I've included a video from when i was driving on the 5 south just after the 55. That part of the freeway is smooth, but the noise is still there. The noise is hard to hear. The video is only 8 seconds long - the noise comes in around the 3 second mark. Its the best I could do.

Has anyone heard this before? It's driving me insane and making me nervous! Please help!

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-07-16, 08:52 PM
GS400V8
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

It almost sounds like wind noise. I get a very similar sound at speed, but you say its only on rough surfaces. It's hard to hear it from a video.

If it really does sound like something else, aka metal on metal, it could be anything. Is it very loud in person? Can you hear it with your window only down or up? Does the sound seem to "rotate" and speed up with the tire?

With suspension, it could be so many things. Brake dust sheild or something touching the rotor slightly? Uneven brake pads?
Old 07-11-16, 12:57 PM
goodyonsen
Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I've thought about it being something with the brakes, but the noise is the same no matter what speed I am going. It's more noticeable with the windows up. Not loud, but definitely noticeable.

The best description I have is a metal on metal chirp sound. Like if two block pieces of metal were rubbed together, its that ear-piercing high pitched noise that results. Just much more short and rapid.
Old 07-13-16, 04:45 PM
sade04
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does the noise increase or decrease on either side while turning?
Old 07-18-16, 01:41 PM
goodyonsen
Rookie

Originally Posted by sade04
Does the noise increase or decrease on either side while turning?
Nope. It's only present on the right (passenger) side and it's the same pitch/volume as when I'm going straight.
Old 07-27-16, 03:49 PM
goodyonsen
Rookie

I've been thinking about this more and more and think that it might be my lower ball joints going out again. ~2 years, ~20K miles, lots of driving on bad roads and freeways, stiff 22k spring rate up front, -6 degrees camber. Yikes