IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Major Transmission Leak HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-16, 09:14 PM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Major Transmission Leak HELP!!!

I'm leaking transmission fluid where the engine and transmission mate and I can't figure out why. My plan is to remove the transmission fully and inspect everything and that's where I need help from the people that have removed a transmission from an IS350. Can you give me some pointers on how to do it properly and maybe possibly give me some ideas as to what can be wrong that it's leaking from that spot. The car is a 2006 IS350 with only 53K miles on it.
Old 06-24-16, 10:24 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Got any picture? Most likely from transmission oil pan, remove it and buy new gasket.
Old 06-25-16, 07:25 AM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MWIS350
Got any picture? Most likely from transmission oil pan, remove it and buy new gasket.
He said between Transmission and Engine Mate , oil pan leak is easy to detect, that problem only if you look at it or take them out apart otherwise no one can tells.

I love Australian, Hey Mate ! Whats Up Mate ! how are you Mate.
Old 06-25-16, 09:05 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Wow, hope it's not converter leaked.
Old 06-25-16, 10:41 PM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

I've read the DIY on here and when the transmission was removed it didn't look like there wasn't any fluid where the flywheel and torque converter is. So my hopes aren't too high anymore because I think that the converter leaked. So worst case scenario is I'll need either a replacement transmission or a replacement torque converter. I'm very surprised why it would happen to a car that only has 53k miles however the service history says the tranny was flushed and refilled at 48k with the previous owners of the car.
Old 06-26-16, 07:25 AM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lysis250
I've read the DIY on here and when the transmission was removed it didn't look like there wasn't any fluid where the flywheel and torque converter is. So my hopes aren't too high anymore because I think that the converter leaked. So worst case scenario is I'll need either a replacement transmission or a replacement torque converter. I'm very surprised why it would happen to a car that only has 53k miles however the service history says the tranny was flushed and refilled at 48k with the previous owners of the car.
Did they inspect before dismantled the transmission ? sorry to hear mate and i don't trust in any record or history from previous owner, god only knows what they did to the car !, how long have you had your car and what year is it ? you gotta be cleared because sometimes those lousy mechanics refills your engine oil and they spilled all over the places.

Was the car running fine or no running ? in other word previous owner knew the Trans screwed up and got rid of the car.
Old 06-26-16, 08:58 AM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Just had to have this done myself. Check to see if you have the right gaskets. Mine had basically tissue stuffed in it. Which had to have happened at a lexus dealership, because prior to me it had only been serviced there.

I had my shop open the tranny up reseal and replace gaskets. No more leaks

Good luck
Old 06-26-16, 09:21 AM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

It's a 2006 but all of the services were done at the dealership. The car was serviced on time and everything from inflating tires to getting the cam gear recall were done at the dealership. Once I have some help from my dad which happens to be a mechanic I'll be dropping the tranny and inspecting it but that's going to be in about 2 weeks as he is away at the moment. So I really came here to see if anyone else has had this issue or what can be the possible damages. I drove about 35ish miles before noticing the issue so I did lose a lot of fluid but luckily no grinding noises happened so I'm really hoping I didn't completely screw up. Another thing to note is that the transmission doesn't leak when the car is off or in park but starts spitting fluid once it's out into gear.

Last edited by lysis250; 06-26-16 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-27-16, 01:30 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Have you determined that it is trans fluid and not motor oil leaking from the rear main? Either way, the trans/converter will have to come off.

Good luck!
Old 06-27-16, 07:59 PM
SQLnovice
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just notice transmission fluid on the floor today. I was running some zero gauge wires from the battery to the trunk at my job. This was inside a clean warehouse. Once I left, a coworker sent me a pic of the tranny oil on the floor. I'll take it to my mechanic tomorrow and hope it's not too expensive to fix.
Old 06-27-16, 08:34 PM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

I'm 99% sure it's just transmission fluid since I did check the oil dip stick and level was good but that was right after I discovered the leak which was about 30 seconds after I shut the car off. I'll stop by the yard where it's currently parked tomorrow after work to double check once again. However I called an Ex-Lexus mechanic with over 15 years of experience working for the local dealer until he decided to open his own shop and he said it can be many different things without looking at the transmission but he said in most situations it's a bad seal.
Old 07-08-16, 04:14 PM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Fast forward 2 weeks, I'm in total luck on this. It looks like my transmission fluid pump seal got busted which is only $10 new, however I'm going to replace my transmission oil pan because it's damaged replace the strainer just because the pan will be dropped anyways and refill it also going to replace all necessary gaskets. So total after everything is running me $350 and really hoping that it's just the seal. By the way for those who want to replace their own transmission I suggest taking it to a mechanic because it is a pain in the A**.
Old 07-18-16, 06:23 AM
SQLnovice
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I made a rookie mistake. It was not my transmission that was leaking. It was my water pump. That pink fluid is a little oily, and I taught it was tranny fluid. Got the water pump replaced, and now I'm good to go.
Old 07-18-16, 09:16 AM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SQLnovice
Well, I made a rookie mistake. It was not my transmission that was leaking. It was my water pump. That pink fluid is a little oily, and I taught it was tranny fluid. Got the water pump replaced, and now I'm good to go.
Thank for the updates 😊👍
Old 07-18-16, 04:39 PM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SQLnovice
LOL, next time you should smell it hahaha

Quick Reply: Major Transmission Leak HELP!!!