RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

HUD Speed Limit display intermittant

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-16, 07:29 PM
Kiboater
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HUD Speed Limit display intermittant

I am still trying to learn about all the systems on my 2016 RX-350 but I am stumped about this. As you may know the speed limit appears on the Nav screen in front of the street name as well as on the HUD display. On my car the HUD only shows the speed limit about 20% of the time. The NaV screen has the speed limit all the time on major roads and most city streets. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason when it works and when it does not. I have been watching it on Interstates and city streets and it works less than 20% of the time.

Anyone else notice this or have this problem?

thanks

Frank
Old 05-11-16, 08:43 PM
daveylin
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiboater
I am still trying to learn about all the systems on my 2016 RX-350 but I am stumped about this. As you may know the speed limit appears on the Nav screen in front of the street name as well as on the HUD display. On my car the HUD only shows the speed limit about 20% of the time. The NaV screen has the speed limit all the time on major roads and most city streets. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason when it works and when it does not. I have been watching it on Interstates and city streets and it works less than 20% of the time.

Anyone else notice this or have this problem?

thanks

Frank
It seems to show when i first turn onto a street and goes away until i get on a new street.... at least thats what it seems like its doing for me.
Old 05-12-16, 12:58 AM
dfc350
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've noticed the same. The HUD gets its speed limit information from the navigation system map dataset, so this is probably a deficiency in the nav data, not in the HUD.
Old 05-12-16, 09:15 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 504 Likes on 362 Posts

Mine never shows the speed limit in HUD
Old 05-12-16, 12:04 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by dfc350
I've noticed the same. The HUD gets its speed limit information from the navigation system map dataset, so this is probably a deficiency in the nav data, not in the HUD.
This is untrue. There are many times where the Nav data has the speed limit but it does not the in the HUD.

From my experience the HUD is showing the speed limit only when there has been a change in the speed limit. This is more effective than showing the speed limit all the time, which makes the HUD too busy and nanny-like.
The following users liked this post:
RickC5 (02-16-22)
Old 05-12-16, 12:26 PM
dfc350
Driver

Originally Posted by ericsan13
This is untrue. There are many times where the Nav data has the speed limit but it does not the in the HUD.

From my experience the HUD is showing the speed limit only when there has been a change in the speed limit. This is more effective than showing the speed limit all the time, which makes the HUD too busy and nanny-like.
I'm not saying the HUD always reflects exactly what's on the nav screen, just that the raw data for speed limits is contained in the map dataset. Sorry if my original comment was unclear.
Old 05-12-16, 01:54 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by dfc350
I'm not saying the HUD always reflects exactly what's on the nav screen, just that the raw data for speed limits is contained in the map dataset. Sorry if my original comment was unclear.
I am still unclear on your comment. If both the HUD and Nav use the same dataset, how can there be a deficiency in the nav dataset as you stated?
Old 05-12-16, 02:04 PM
Kiboater
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eric: Is there any way to make the HUD more "nanny-like"? Like a custom setting? My 2016 Denali shows it all the time and I like it and don't consider it too busy.

I don't need it to tell me that the speed limit has changed. They have signs along the road to do that. I want to know what it is when there are no signs.

Frank
Old 05-12-16, 04:44 PM
dfc350
Driver

I am still unclear on your comment. If both the HUD and Nav use the same dataset, how can there be a deficiency in the nav dataset as you stated?
You're right, I shouldn't have tied the missing/out-of-date speed limits in the nav data to this issue.

The issue is that the HUD periodically doesn't display the speed limit. From an IT perspective, I'd guess different code is driving each display, and each can display or not display the speed limit regardless of what the other is doing.
Old 05-12-16, 06:26 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by Kiboater
Eric: Is there any way to make the HUD more "nanny-like"? Like a custom setting? My 2016 Denali shows it all the time and I like it and don't consider it too busy.

I don't need it to tell me that the speed limit has changed. They have signs along the road to do that. I want to know what it is when there are no signs.

Frank
The HUD already shows us when we're too close to the outer lane, if there is a car in front of you, parking sensor warnings, etc. I don't need to see a speed limit sign all the time though I do understand that some may want that option. For me it is beneficial to know when the speed limit has changed. Otherwise it could be difficult to notice that two numbers have changed.

I don't think there is a way to enable an always-on speed limit however you can use your nav display for that - it will show you the speed limit when it is available.
Old 05-21-16, 07:49 AM
SirKong
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Mine never shows the speed limit in HUD
Speed limit does not show in Canada. If you drive down to the states it will start showing once you cross the boarder.
Old 05-21-16, 03:27 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 504 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by SirKong
Speed limit does not show in Canada. If you drive down to the states it will start showing once you cross the boarder.
Thanks, I'll check that next time I cross the border.

I guess we are short changed again on this, just like the safety plus that's missing most of the stuff available in usa and the missing traffic, weather and entunes or lexus app.
Old 12-07-16, 05:29 PM
Earman
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Thanks, I'll check that next time I cross the border.

I guess we are short changed again on this, just like the safety plus that's missing most of the stuff available in usa and the missing traffic, weather and entunes or lexus app.
I just discovered today that the speed limit could be displayed on the HUD. As soon as I crossed the border into WA state, the speed limit was displayed on the HUD. As soon as I was back in Canada, it stopped! It is extremely useful and I can't believe we do not have it in Canada! Very frustrating!
Old 12-07-16, 06:33 PM
s2000zr
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Earman
I just discovered today that the speed limit could be displayed on the HUD. As soon as I crossed the border into WA state, the speed limit was displayed on the HUD. As soon as I was back in Canada, it stopped! It is extremely useful and I can't believe we do not have it in Canada! Very frustrating!
Maybe you don't have to follow the limit in Canada.😃. It is a cool feature but sometime it's wrong
Old 12-07-16, 06:43 PM
Earman
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000zr
Maybe you don't have to follow the limit in Canada.😃. It is a cool feature but sometime it's wrong
LOL. The speed limit IS displayed on the NAV screen (so it is readily available for the HUD!) but for some weird reason the HUD shows that information only when driving in the US. As the HUD is a much more natural way to look at the information (and the display of the posted limit is much larger on the HUD than on the Nav screen) it's frustrating that this has been crippled by Lexus Canada! But that seems typical of Lexus Canada which sells the car way more expensively here and deliver crippled cars compared to the US! Then they are upset when people start buying their cars in the US and importing them privately!

Quick Reply: HUD Speed Limit display intermittant