RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Gurgling Air Conditioning Noise (TSB info post #119)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-16, 01:15 PM
Sxelexy
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Gurgling Air Conditioning Noise (TSB info post #119)

I know that there have been various posts about the gurgling A/C within threads about noises and quirks but I couldn't find one specifically on this topic. In an effort to streamline and see how many people are actually suffering through this "specific" annoyance, thought it may be a good idea to start a gurgling A/C topic.

I have the full load F-sport that was bought in December and now that the weather has started to get nicer, the constant gurgling every time the A/C is cycling is getting very annoying. Had it in at the dealer this week and was told that this was not the first one they've seen and that the Lexus Field Engineer was coming out on Friday to look into it.

For that amount of money paid for this vehicle there should not be this much noise coming from the unit. If you're not sure whether or not your RX is having the same issue then chances are that it doesn't because you would definitely notice it.

Not sure how or if this can be resolved. Even the Service Adviser cracked a joke about keeping the radio turned on loud until Lexus can find a resolution... Funny but not really.

Who else has this problem and what have your dealers been saying to you about it?

Thanks!
Old 04-28-16, 01:29 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

A video or short audio clip of the sound inside and out would be nice
Old 04-28-16, 02:01 PM
mydayjob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had the car at the dealership for a week for the gurgling sound (tech/mgr described it as a water fountain noise inside cabin); no known fix; Mgr said there is a bulletin out, and he would add our complaint to the list, but there is nothing currently available for a fix. if they can't figure one out they are just going to call it a design 'feature'
Old 04-28-16, 02:23 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

Likely low on refrigerant, based on design. They might change the spec to increase the amount of refrigerant. The dealer would have to just add refrigerant. NOT sure if they will without Lexus approval though, or a tsb
Old 04-28-16, 02:30 PM
KennyKC
Driver School Candidate

My car has the gurgling AC noise as well. Purchased in January 2016. The noise is there but mine doesn't appear to be as loud as yours to be honest.
Old 04-28-16, 02:47 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

The gurgling sound in my father's RX350 is really obvious when the A/C comes on, especially while at a stop. It is quite annoying and I hope a fix is found soon.
Old 04-28-16, 04:18 PM
mydayjob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Likely low on refrigerant, based on design. They might change the spec to increase the amount of refrigerant. The dealer would have to just add refrigerant. NOT sure if they will without Lexus approval though, or a tsb
Nope. Tech said they added freon to no avail.
Old 04-28-16, 05:10 PM
bobyg
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has the same problem. Car was purchased in Feb. no fix available yet. i thk someone in the forum mentioned the refrigerant doesn't have full charge before leaving factory causing the problem.
Old 04-28-16, 07:04 PM
Macs4RX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sxelexy - thanks for starting this thread. I, too, have this quite noticeable gurgling noise. I've had my 4RX (Luxury) for almost two weeks now and I definitely have the A/C gurgling sound that others have mentioned. Turn off the A/C and the sound stops. Note that this gurgling sound can only be heard if the windows are rolled up and if the radio is off. In other words, the interior is quiet. I'd love to get this issue fixed as it is somewhat annoying. My car was built in Canada (manufactured 3/16).
Old 04-28-16, 08:17 PM
Curryolla
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't have my RX yet so I can't comment on the RX. But, this was a common issue on my 2007 Infiniti M35x. The nicoclub forums are full of similar posts to these. The solution ranges from a coolant drain and refill, to a loose fitting near the heater core causing air to get into the lines. Someone even claims that driving on the highway and switching between the heater and air conditioner opens up the thermostat, purges the air, and solves the problem. Here are the links: http://forums.nicoclub.com/strange-l...p-t460269.html and http://forums.nicoclub.com/hear-a-sl...p-t469696.html
Old 04-28-16, 09:11 PM
kenforum
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My car has the gurgling sound too.
Old 04-28-16, 09:15 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

My RX and my 2015 Toyota Sienna make the gurgling noise. My stereo drowns it out though.
Old 04-29-16, 07:00 AM
Richstang
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My RX too. BOOO!!!!!!
Old 04-29-16, 07:19 AM
mydayjob
Driver School Candidate

Default Sound for all those wondering

Found this youtube that captures the sound....
Old 04-29-16, 07:25 AM
cec327
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mydayjob
Found this youtube that captures the sound....
2016 RX 350 ac noise - YouTube
Thanks for the video. Whew! Don't have that problem.

Quick Reply: Gurgling Air Conditioning Noise (TSB info post #119)