LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Maintenance costs for early 2000 lx470

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-16, 09:36 PM
mrvaudo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance costs for early 2000 lx470

I'm considering buying a Lexus but am Worried about high cost for maintenance. Anyone have good spreadsheet records for their lx service over the years. Trying to figure out an average yearly cost figure. Maybe dealer prices vs independent Lexus places

Tires?
Breaks?
Regular oil change?
Fluid changes?
Timing belt?

Any big ticket items I should know about (or dread)?

My current Honda Pilot has cost 3400 over 8 years so I'm trying to get an idea before I make the Lexus plunge
Old 02-18-16, 07:23 PM
Nick T
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are taking the rig to a dealer or independent repair shop then maintenence costs will be much higher than what you are used to on your Honda. Front wheel bearings, chassis lubes, AHC are extra costs not associated with Honda or even the Sequoia and Tundra. Oil, ATF, diff and transfer case capacities are higher so costs more in fluids. Buy a new Honda if you are worried about maintenece costs on an older rig, especially one as complicated as an LX
If you can work on it yourself, then get a 100. Nothing beats it for ride, off road capability, safety, and value.

Originally Posted by mrvaudo
I'm considering buying a Lexus but am Worried about high cost for maintenance. Anyone have good spreadsheet records for their lx service over the years. Trying to figure out an average yearly cost figure. Maybe dealer prices vs independent Lexus places

Tires?
Breaks?
Regular oil change?
Fluid changes?
Timing belt?

My current Honda Pilot has cost 3400 over 8 years so I'm trying to get an idea before I make the Lexus plunge
Old 02-19-16, 01:01 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Tires?
Breaks?
Regular oil change?
Fluid changes?
Timing belt?

I'd think you'd spend more over 8 years than $3400...not due to inherent reliability (which is as good as you'll see in any vehicle) but simply because Lexus parts cost more than Honda parts. If it's drive train related, you can always call around and see of Toyota parts will work...if they're interchangeable, they'll have the same pn and you can usually save a bit going to Toyota v. Lexus.

The rest of the stuff you ought to be able to determine by yourself, maybe save for the timing belt / water pump service which can run anywhere from ~ $800 or so to $1200-ish, depending upon who does the work.

Tires...start with Tire Rack as a baseline and go from there to local dealers.

Brakes...check parts prices online with Toyota (pads, rotors, and pb shoes are the same for an LX470 and a Land Cruiser for any given year.

Oil changes...The 4.7l engine takes just a bit more than 7 quarts of oil...a Mobil 1 filter is about $10-ish.

Fluid changes...Include the AHC system, front and rear diff's and the transfer case. 2 cans of AHC fluid, about $60-ish. M1 75W-90 for the tc and diff's...about $10 per quart.

You unfortunately do not indicate if you're a diy person, a take-it-to-the-dealer-for-everything owner, or someplace between the two. The area in which you live can also make a big difference. Since Toyota supplied AHC as an option on Cruisers, you should be able to have any servicing done at a 'Yota dealer just as well as a Lexus dealer.

Off topic somewhat...This is a perfect apples-to-oranges comparison. If you're thinking that maintenance will be cost-wise in keeping with a Honda Pilot, I'd stop shopping for a series-100 now. There are many reasons why an LX or Land Cruiser is considered THE standard of transportation in areas where roads are crap v. what we see in the U.S.

If you're thinking of something from Toyota more in line with a Pilot, I'd check out the RAV 4 or a Lexus RX instead.

hth

Steve
Old 03-17-16, 05:18 PM
cstu
Driver School Candidate

Brakes and timing belt are the only expensive repairs I've had on mine in 6 years.
Old 07-21-16, 02:03 PM
goozer
Driver School Candidate

If you live in an area where body rust is out of play, then I'd buy the LX 10 out of 10 times. I have an 01 with 168,000 on it and have only done routine maintenance to date though I do have a blossoming transfer case issue that will require some work soon. Biggest problem.........rust on the upper lift gate under the window. Apparently this phenomenon isn't new
Old 07-24-16, 01:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Tires?
Breaks?
Regular oil change?
Fluid changes?
Timing belt?

I have owned a 100 series in the past, we had it from new and we out high mileage per year. We did about 20k per year.

Not taking any repair into account. Routine maintenance such as tires, timing belt, plugs, fluids etc etc averaged out to around $1000 per year once we hit 90K. For example, if you are doing tires, timing belt in one year, you can easily hit $2000k, then next year you might do fluids, brakes, and spark plugs and you can agian easily do $1500-$2000 depending on the work needs. Of course some years you will have less costs that the year before, but overall, we did about $1000 per year averaged out.

If you are low mileage, you will not be spending as much.

What kind of miles are you putting on per year?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-24-16 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-24-16, 04:33 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts
Default Necro thread...

...OP's one and only post was the start of this thread.