Best Lowering Spring or Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-15, 03:39 PM
ping83
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Best Lowering Spring or Coilovers

CL,

I have been a member of the community for many years owning an IS350 for roughly 5 years. I have always dreamed of owning a USB ISF and that became a reality a couple weeks back!!!

I need recommendations for which springs or coilovers you guys prefer?

I am a DIY guy and not noticed we in the F section do not have a thread at the top for DIY maintenance such as the 2IS section does which was very helpful. Hopefully that will change at some point.

I look forward to contributing to the community!
Attached Thumbnails Best Lowering Spring or Coilovers-image.png  
Old 10-18-15, 06:56 PM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Welcome and congrats on the F. In terms of springs, most people are going to say Swift springs, and i agree (i have them). In terms of coilovers, it really depends on what your price point is. From low to high, the best options are probably BC, KW or HKS Hypermax, Penske then Ohlins.
-R
Old 10-18-15, 06:59 PM
H1_OFICR
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am on swift Springs and the ride is amazing.. It's the perfect height as well Imo. Enough to erase the wheel gap (and get a little tuck in the rear) but not hit everything while driving.
Attached Thumbnails Best Lowering Spring or Coilovers-img_20150605_214538121.jpg   Best Lowering Spring or Coilovers-img_20150605_214233469.jpg   Best Lowering Spring or Coilovers-img_20150710_203605952_hdr.jpg   Best Lowering Spring or Coilovers-img_20150815_110702617.jpg  
Old 10-18-15, 08:35 PM
DansonISF
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KW V3 COILOVERS are the best
Old 10-19-15, 03:06 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO, the springs and BC route are a cheap alternative if you're just looking to lower the car and not concerned about the performance aspect. I have experience with both the RSR i-Sport coilovers and the KWV3 coilovers on a track and at high speeds and to me they both ride identical. What sets them apart is the high speed rebound and the the KW's requiring OEM top hats. I honestly prefer my 08 suspension over the RSR and KW coils.

I am getting ready to pull my coils off and try a 2012 suspension. I believe this or the Penskes are your best bet if performance is your goal.
Old 10-19-15, 06:00 AM
ping83
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the responses guys.

The goal is mostly looks as I will be driving the car year round daily. Want the best ride quality with the aesthetics of reducing the factory wheel gap.
Old 10-19-15, 07:04 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If you have no intention of tracking the car I would suggest the swift springs for a mild aesthetic drop. If you're not on a budget the KWs are good for daily use for something comfortable. If you plan to track your car, and have a fat budget, Figs Engineering offers Ohlins and Penske options, and RRRacing offers Penske, both are far superior to any coilover offering on the market.
Old 10-19-15, 09:15 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Speaking of Swift Springs, why are they 08-11 and 12+? I thought the greatest suspension changes were MY11. I'm considering picking them up, but wondering if their application guide is mistaken.
Old 10-19-15, 11:39 AM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

Don't mean to thread jack, but I'm selling my Swift Springs if you're interested. I didn't get a chance to install them, but I was going to use them simply to remove the wheel gap. I ended up ordering coilovers recently since the dealer said my struts are currently leaking fluid. :/

PM me if you're interested

Back to your topic, what are your intentions for the car? Tracking, daily driving, some spirited driving with occasional track time?
Old 10-19-15, 12:08 PM
SoCalISF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SubOrbital
Speaking of Swift Springs, why are they 08-11 and 12+? I thought the greatest suspension changes were MY11. I'm considering picking them up, but wondering if their application guide is mistaken.
Front coil length and diameter changed dramatically in '12. Swift PN 4T910 is correct for the late cars.
Old 10-19-15, 01:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

If you dont intend on heavily tracking the car I would say swift springs are the best for looks. They are inexpensive and high quality. I have ridden in an F with them and would actually put them on my car based on how well the car rode. I couldnt even tell the car was dropped. When people say "it rides like stock" its usually BS, but these really do . I wouldnt have believed it unless I rode in the car myself
Old 10-19-15, 03:24 PM
subiepunk
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have BC with swift springs. If you're just daily driving or showing they'll be fine and I see no reason to spend anymore. I love that the spring rates are customizeable and if you blow a shock it's only $90 to rebuild from BC
Old 10-19-15, 03:59 PM
zebani
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For the last 2 weeks I have been reading lots of informative threads about finding the right suspension/coilovers. We have a baby on the way and as we all know 08 ISF's don't have the best suspension. I was planning on getting a set of KW V3s to "soften" the ride a little bit so the baby won't be bouncing up and down in the back seat since the thread is kind of related, I was wondering if anyone is using a baby seat & KW v3 combination on their cars...
Old 10-19-15, 04:27 PM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Couldn't be happier with jic magic's flt-a2 coilovers. Things are amazing, especially with figs parts and sikky bars.
Old 10-19-15, 04:53 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by zebani
For the last 2 weeks I have been reading lots of informative threads about finding the right suspension/coilovers. We have a baby on the way and as we all know 08 ISF's don't have the best suspension. I was planning on getting a set of KW V3s to "soften" the ride a little bit so the baby won't be bouncing up and down in the back seat since the thread is kind of related, I was wondering if anyone is using a baby seat & KW v3 combination on their cars...
I've had both of my girls since newborns ride in the back of the F on stock 08 suspension. Yes, the car tends to be stiff but its not unbearable. If you ever driven a lowered car, you have to drive the F the same way when you got babies in the back (slow down for bumps, swerve around drain covers, etc). It's not like you're going to be hard on the throttle with them in the car. If this is your only car for transportation, then it might be worth investing in something softer (BC with custom swift spring rates or KW's are the go-to's)

Quick Reply: Best Lowering Spring or Coilovers