LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

I want to do this to my headliner...

Old 02-24-15, 10:31 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I want to do this to my headliner...

I know this concept car debuted some time ago (Cadillac Elmiraj - 4 or 5 yrs back), but it's still the most beautiful sedan I have ever laid eyes on (Google it). This is the interior, and I'm seriously considering getting out a sketch pad and designing a fitting interpretation of this most unconventional wood laminate headliner for my LS430. (In Birdseye maple to match my wood trim, of course)

I love the headliner in this car!

Thoughts/feedback?
Attached Thumbnails I want to do this to my headliner...-26-cadillac-elmiraj-view-from-the-back-seat-design-by-gael-buzyn-general-motors-cadillac-elmiraj.jpg  
Old 02-24-15, 11:21 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Looks pretty interesting. I have always liked the fiber optic star look.
Attached Thumbnails I want to do this to my headliner...-image.jpg  
Old 02-24-15, 11:43 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Forgot about that one. That 'galaxy' look is quite interesting too. Of course, in a car with an almond interior, maybe I'll consider a hybrid of the two. Wood veneer with fiber-optics sprinkled throughout. Invisible in the daytime, of course.
Old 02-24-15, 03:00 PM
honasbone
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperCoupe400
I know this concept car debuted some time ago (Cadillac Elmiraj - 4 or 5 yrs back), but it's still the most beautiful sedan I have ever laid eyes on (Google it). This is the interior, and I'm seriously considering getting out a sketch pad and designing a fitting interpretation of this most unconventional wood laminate headliner for my LS430. (In Birdseye maple to match my wood trim, of course)

I love the headliner in this car!

Thoughts/feedback?
That looks great! Strictly aesthetically speaking - very cool.

I care about how music sounds in my car. I'm a big fan of the swede style headliner in my UL. Seems to limit sounds bouncing off the roof. You can get an idea of the benefit the swede headliner provides acoustically just by sliding the moon roof cover back exposing the glass while you have music playing.

I'm not a sound engineer, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. just my personal taste. I'd be concerned that laminate would make for some poor acoustics.
Old 02-24-15, 06:09 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I have been wanting to do that star headliner in my 430 for years, just not that electrically inclined to do so. Very cool!
Old 02-25-15, 04:52 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Originally Posted by honasbone
That looks great! Strictly aesthetically speaking - very cool.

I care about how music sounds in my car. I'm a big fan of the swede style headliner in my UL. Seems to limit sounds bouncing off the roof. You can get an idea of the benefit the swede headliner provides acoustically just by sliding the moon roof cover back exposing the glass while you have music playing.

I'm not a sound engineer, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. just my personal taste. I'd be concerned that laminate would make for some poor acoustics.
You make an excellent point. That thought had completely eluded me. That suede idea is tempting though. In addition to the sound quality improvement, I'd do it just to get the "new leather scent" wafting throughout my car. Especially sense (like most of us here) I bought my LS pre-owned and never got a chance to experience the original new car leather scent.
Old 02-27-15, 06:20 PM
empringham
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

in all the photos of that caddy i saw none of them looked like a sedan. But as far as the headliner goes, the rolls royce "starlight" headliner is the best in the game as far as i am concerned. There is actually a member on here that has done that to his LS. i think his screen name is "SUPERFATURA" or something. or maybe Gio? cant remember.
Old 07-26-16, 05:36 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by empringham
in all the photos of that caddy i saw none of them looked like a sedan. But as far as the headliner goes, the rolls royce "starlight" headliner is the best in the game as far as i am concerned. There is actually a member on here that has done that to his LS. i think his screen name is "SUPERFATURA" or something. or maybe Gio? cant remember.
For automotive fiber optics, light engines and panels, check out:

http://www.lumitex.com/

I believe Rolls Royce uses a fiber-optic bundle that is plugged into a light engine. The indiviual flexible fibre strands routed to create the headliner starlight effect.

It would make sense to use this approach, otherwise conduit would be necessary for indindividual bulbs.

The Lumitex approach is also an inert light that can be color filtered...no heat
Old 07-26-16, 09:15 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
For automotive fiber optics, light engines and panels, check out:

http://www.lumitex.com/

I believe Rolls Royce uses a fiber-optic bundle that is plugged into a light engine. The indiviual flexible fibre strands routed to create the headliner starlight effect.

It would make sense to use this approach, otherwise conduit would be necessary for indindividual bulbs.

The Lumitex approach is also an inert light that can be color filtered...no heat
Some images of the Starlight Roof in production. The individual fiber optic strands from the bundle ...one at a time, are inserted in what appears to be perpendicular fashion into the roof panel..
If the fibers are bent beyond a certain curvature, they will kink, and the light will exit at that point and not reach the tip.

That raises the question whether fiber optic backlighting will interfere with the sliding mechanisms of moonroof equipped cars.

Possible the individual fiber optic tips could be cut (not sure if cut is the correct word) at, say a 45 degree angle to avoid having to insert at a right angle, but then you would have to pilot hole and nsert at that angle and index the face cut down to the interior side glue in place and this would be tedious.

The backside of headliner that faces roof

Backside of headliner depicting the LED Light engines, the Fiber Optic bundles, and individual strands. Rolls Royce uses about 10 light engines/bundles comprised of about 140 fibers/bundle

After gluing in place, this appears to be the trimming process. Note the headliner is uniformly perforated....and has a backing layer to adhere the fibre optic strands... In a Lexus scenario, a template or some other means will need to be employed for uniformity.

This appears to be the template (?)

Headliner backside
Old 07-27-16, 06:23 AM
fangtl
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been done on other vehicles. You can probably find some DIYs for the VW bus or the Scion xB.